Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 10/18/2017 7:49:00 AM

I have used this product for about three years and absolutely love it! I suffered from pretty severe acne for a few years and this is the only thing that got me out of my house everyday. It has great coverage and the finish is very pretty. It is very buildable so often I would build it up on the acne spots instead of using concealer and it hid them very well. Usually after an 8 hour day I would start to see a little oil coming through my t-zone, but a quick blot and this still looked good through the evening. My skin has recently cleared up so I have switched to a much more sheer foundation, but this is still my go to for a full face night out.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have combination/oily skin and this product emphasises dry patches on my face I didn't even know I had. My whole face becomes a dry patch mess when I have this on - and I exfoliate regularly! Other foundations have never done that. So no.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have gone through several bottles of this over the years, and though my tastes (and skin) has changed, I still think it is a nice foundation. I don't really go for a super-matte look anymore, which is probably why I don't care for it now, but when I did want my skin to be a shine-free zone I loved this stuff. I also liked that MUFE made very pale skin-friendly shades. The packaging is decent, but when it starts to run low it gets to be kinda hard to squeeze out. If you're looking for a very flat finish foundation that lasts fairly well but feels light on the skin then this one is definitely for you.

First, I'll say its obvious being close to paper white its next to impossible to find a foundation that doesnt color me orange. This is one of the only brands that actually has a shade that matches me, but It does keep me matte all day with a velvety texture and has concealer like coverage: the only downside is that it does crease throughout the day a bit even with primers/setting spray.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I have been on a quest to find my HG foundation. This isn't it, but it's not totally awful.

Coverage:
I applied this first with a beauty blender, but it sheered out this medium coverage foundation to sheer coverage. Imo it goes on better with a brush.

Wear time:
I have DRY skin so I never set my foundations- and I especially didn't think i'd have to set a MATTE foundation. But it actually got shinier than my GA Luminous Silk foundation. Idk how people with oily skin wear this, unless they're using primer and setting powder (but if it's a matte foundation you shouldnt need all of that?).

At the end of the day, i still had most of my skin problems covered. There was a lot of shine in my t-zone, but the foundation was still on.

More stuff:
The color selection was pretty decent, and the squeeze top packaging dispenses a good, prudent amount of product.

Overall, it's not a bad foundation for the price but it just didn't stand out to me. Too matte to be glowy, too shiny to be matte- it's great if you happen to be an EXACT color match but I'm not buying this again.

on 1/27/2017 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I moved to NYC in August. AUGUST! And nobody told me about the heat waves or the humidity. I have dry skin and the makeup I had been wearing would melt off my face like an ice cream cone. I did some research and read that this was *THE* foundation to fight humidity. I had my doubts but this stuff is THE BOMB. Applied it once in the morning - lasted ALL FRIGGIN DAY and it didn't dry my skin out. HG HG HG!!! The color choice is great and I used it with my Beauty Blender sponge. Now that it's winter here, I can't use because it's too drying it so I am currently using MUFE's HD Ultra which is also dope.

on 1/27/2017 10:32:00 AM

This is alright, it has a creamy-chalky texture that reminds me of more old-school foundations. It covers redness and most of my skin issues pretty well; I'd call it medium coverage. It looks good when freshly applied. Not the best I've ever seen - but good. It's the worst at keeping me matte, though. The worst. The MUFE HD foundation makes me look less oily than this, and so do my 2 fave drugstore foundations (Revlon Colorstay Whipped and their HD foundation stick). When the oil seeps through, this stuff becomes a patchy, weird mess. Also, for that price you should get way more product.

on 12/14/2016 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have worn this foundation for a couple of years.

Lately, I have had to buy drugstore foundation because my annual income has changed.

I was never WOWED by this foundation

UNTIL

I bought L'oreal Infallible and Wet N Wild Coverall.

Both L'oreal and Wet N Wild made my pores INSANELY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE.

I have not been wearing the Makeup For Ever because it is my summer shade and too dark right now and I was thinking oh my gosh my pores have GROWN.

Today I wore the too dark Makeup Forever and there were no pores visible.

So after seeing no pores yesterday, today I put one foundation on one side of my face, and the L'oreal on the other. IMMEDIATELY I saw the scary difference. The L'oreal settled right into pores making them craters, and the Makeup For Ever looked so smooth and flawless..... despite the darkness of the color.

I now have a new respect for this foundation. It makes my skin beautiful and flawless. I need go get a shade that matches my winter skin. No matter what. I guess I'll give up food for a week to get this.

on 11/2/2016 10:52:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

i really like this foundation and have already repurchased a second and third bottle of it. its nice stuff and satisfies virtually all of my requirements in a foundation.

the formula is almost moussey, but not thick. solid medium coverage in a single layer but definitely can be built up (though not to dermacol or MJ remarcable levels, although what else can?). i recommend applying with something like RT expert face brush/elf selfie ready powder brush, swiping all over for a lighter layer to knock out redness + general discoloration, then building up in a tapping motion on areas that require more coverage. always looks like skin on me no matter how much i layer it up, and back in the day before accutane, boy was that ever an answered prayer. even now that my skin is more combo, this is still my HG.

longevity is good on moderately oily skin, and still decent on very oily skin. much easier to blend this back into my oily chin than other dewier foundations; it doesn't break down as easily as other foundations do. finish has never been truly matte on me but i think that's part of what helps this to look so skinlike. it does start out matte and repowders well though.

the price is standard for a midrange foundation, there are more expensive foundations and there are cheaper ones. i will say that i think because of the consistency and coverage of this product, i can make a bottle of it last a lot longer for me than i can make other bottles last. also, the packaging is fabulous - super easy to depot if you want to keep a bit with you on a day-to-day basis, super convenient for travel if you prefer to leave it as-is, and while it's not super easy to cut open, it definitely can be cut apart so you can get every last bit of foundation out. i love foundations in squeeze tubes and while they don't look very glamorous i still wish everyone would switch to tubes like this, they are just so damn convenient. seriously, by the time you think you've run out, there's still a good 10th of the product left around the top and bottom of the tube you can scrape into a small container.

oh, one notable point - this does oxidize, like, a lot. alabaster/#15 starts off at the depth of KVD's L41 and ends somewhere around the depth of NARS siberia (SG formulation). try going a shade or two lighter than you think you'll need initially because the color does warm up and deepen a bit throughout the day. the oxidization is pretty dramatic and this looks too light for me when i first put it on but becomes a great match for me in about 30 minutes or so of wearing it.

while i liked UD naked skin and TF born this way, they both broke me out. NARS SG was a fantastic shade match but the formula didn't work for my skin and the formula broke down far too quickly on my oily skin. tarte amazonian clay was incredibly heavy and dewy on me and the shade was conspicuously rosy on me if i remember correctly. at the moment i'm using up a bottle of wnw photo focus and have been enjoying it, and will definitely repurchase in the future, but for right now i am eager to use the other bottle of MV+ i've had sitting in my backup pile for the past several months. i mention all this just to give you an idea of what i've tried and my experiences so you can compare them to your own and see if this might be a good foundation for you to try. i really love it but realistically not everyone's going to, so i just want to be as thorough as possible and share as many tips and tricks as possible so as many people as possible can enjoy it as much as i have :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wanted to try a matte and higher coverage alternative to MUFE's Face and Body (which I adore and is the perfect colour match for me at shade 20 but would become way too shiny in like 4 hours and an odd consistency) and so I walked in to my local MUFE stand and tried this. Straight off the bat, this is NOT ultra matte and is more like the new Colourstay formula in terms of matteness - it has a slight shine to it but also is more matte than a satin foundation if that makes sense? I really like this though as totally matte foundations don't really work on me. The coverage is jusssst about medium and I find this very easy and quick to apply and a nice colour match. I've been using this for several days and I can't fault it! It's really quite pretty, goes a bit funny around my nose when applying but I actually really like it. Not too heavy, not too matte but lasts a good 7 hours. I'm very happy and think that if you're considering it, give it a try!