Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 1/27/2017 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I moved to NYC in August. AUGUST! And nobody told me about the heat waves or the humidity. I have dry skin and the makeup I had been wearing would melt off my face like an ice cream cone. I did some research and read that this was *THE* foundation to fight humidity. I had my doubts but this stuff is THE BOMB. Applied it once in the morning - lasted ALL FRIGGIN DAY and it didn't dry my skin out. HG HG HG!!! The color choice is great and I used it with my Beauty Blender sponge. Now that it's winter here, I can't use because it's too drying it so I am currently using MUFE's HD Ultra which is also dope.

on 1/27/2017 10:32:00 AM

This is alright, it has a creamy-chalky texture that reminds me of more old-school foundations. It covers redness and most of my skin issues pretty well; I'd call it medium coverage. It looks good when freshly applied. Not the best I've ever seen - but good. It's the worst at keeping me matte, though. The worst. The MUFE HD foundation makes me look less oily than this, and so do my 2 fave drugstore foundations (Revlon Colorstay Whipped and their HD foundation stick). When the oil seeps through, this stuff becomes a patchy, weird mess. Also, for that price you should get way more product.

on 12/14/2016 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have worn this foundation for a couple of years.

Lately, I have had to buy drugstore foundation because my annual income has changed.

I was never WOWED by this foundation

UNTIL

I bought L'oreal Infallible and Wet N Wild Coverall.

Both L'oreal and Wet N Wild made my pores INSANELY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE.

I have not been wearing the Makeup For Ever because it is my summer shade and too dark right now and I was thinking oh my gosh my pores have GROWN.

Today I wore the too dark Makeup Forever and there were no pores visible.

So after seeing no pores yesterday, today I put one foundation on one side of my face, and the L'oreal on the other. IMMEDIATELY I saw the scary difference. The L'oreal settled right into pores making them craters, and the Makeup For Ever looked so smooth and flawless..... despite the darkness of the color.

I now have a new respect for this foundation. It makes my skin beautiful and flawless. I need go get a shade that matches my winter skin. No matter what. I guess I'll give up food for a week to get this.

on 11/2/2016 10:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

i really like this foundation and have already repurchased a second and third bottle of it. its nice stuff and satisfies virtually all of my requirements in a foundation.

coverage:
solid medium. as in, i put this on, and i still look human. redness is 90% knocked out but enough of my skin still shows through that it LOOKS like im wearing less makeup than i actually am. my dream is to one day have skin so clear i can be casually and effortlessly french-pretty and just smear a little siberia on my face in the morning and swipe a single swipe of mascara on my lashes and maybe tap on a dot of lipstick and call it good. but for now, i have to settle for merely looking like i dont work as hard as i actually do on my face in the morning. and that's enough for me right now. this can be built up a decent amount by packing it on with a flat-top brush rather than smoothing it on with a fluffy foundation brush, but still, i don't see how anyone could get FULL full coverage with this. however, it's worth noting that i have bumpy, acne-prone skin, and my definition of full coverage is going to be very different from someone who has generally well-behaved skin.

longevity:
okay, now im oily as hell, so aint nothin gonna stay on my face all day long. not even if i dont touch it (and i always have to, to reblend creasing and separation etc). but this stuff does hold up a lot better than the NARS does on me, probably because the consistency is muuuch much thicker. this is an incredibly creamy foundation, and when you first try it, i recommend using less than you think you need and building up layer by layer until you know what you need and can pull off. easy to be heavy-handed with this stuff if you're used to normal liquid foundations.

mattifying..ness?:
being that my skin is crap, i love having the freedom to reapply foundation/concealer whenever and wherever needed, and powder severely inhibits my freedom to do that. however, i am one oily mofo, and i do have to powder this at least in the morning. mat velvet stays pretty matte considering what i put it through, definitely moreso than other foundations i've tried. you will become dewy without a primer if you have oily skin, but you'll just look glowy, mostly in a nice way, at some point probably in a gross way, but it's okay, because remember, you can always repowder. i recently found a $2 powder from elf that is incredibly fair and wears extremely well over this (i think called prime and stay powder? in the lightest shade). go buy that if you're oily, because you'll still need it over this, even though this stays matte way longer than any other foundations will.

price:
honestly not the worst. there are cheaper high end options and there are pricier ones. i will say that one bottle lasts me an eternity. over a year with near-daily moderate use. also, when you finish, definitely cut open your bottle and depot the remaining product. there will be a LOT left, even when you can't squeeze any more out. a good 6th of the product is impossible to remove from the bottle without cutting it open.

appearance on skin:
you can tell it's there, just like you can with any foundation, but it looks SO. NICE. it doesn't LOOK like it's covering as much as it is, and isnt that essentially what we all want from our foundation? to look like we woke up naturally even-toned? it does crease under my eyes, so i am careful to not put it there, but it looks really satisfactory all day long.

packaging:
i don't care so much what my products look like so long as they actually perform the way i need them to, and let me say, the packaging for this stuff is great. it comes in a flattish squeeze tube which makes it WONDERFUL for travel (easy to keep in your everyday makeup bag), you'll never have to worry about it breaking or popping open because the cap clicks into place, and it's soft enough that cutting it open isn't a complete nightmare. i much prefer the packaging to my NARS foundation - glass and matte black is super chic and luxurious, yeah, but the cap doesn't fit back onto the bottle the way that it used to anyway. it doesn't line up with the glass anymore. not to mention, people dont ever see my makeup just chilling at my house. and even if they did, who cares. it's makeup. it's tools. i dont need my vanity to look like a damn sephora. i just want it to be serviceable so i can do what i need to do and get on with my day. mat velvet lets me do that, man. mat velvet is there for me.

who i recommend this foundation for:
i am not sure how formulations might vary from shade to shade, so let me just say, i wear 15/alabaster. i highly recommend it for super light folks with oily skin and more than just the odd spot here and there to hide. it's good stuff. i wish MUFE would just go and become CF already because honestly, i really dont even want to look anymore. i've tried other foundations and this one works the best for my needs. im glad it exists.

oh, and i nearly forgot to mention - this applies best with a brush in my experience. fingers also give an acceptable application. but avoid applying with a sponge.! a real techniques brush works well and doesn't suck up all of your product the way a sponge will.

**also, friendly reminder to all fellow makeup-wearers to do your best to buy products from companies who don't test on animals!! being that i have the needs that i do, i find that i can't quite pull off anything but this MUFE foundation, although i sorely wish i could. MUFE does sell in china so they condone animal testing. super lame but sadly all the other cf foundations i've found that offer the coverage and shade i need break me out :C i do not recommend buying from MUFE unless other cf brands are not as accessible or they fail to meet your needs. too faced, UD, and NARS all have some lovely cf foundations, i just wish they agreed with my skin as well as MUFE does

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wanted to try a matte and higher coverage alternative to MUFE's Face and Body (which I adore and is the perfect colour match for me at shade 20 but would become way too shiny in like 4 hours and an odd consistency) and so I walked in to my local MUFE stand and tried this. Straight off the bat, this is NOT ultra matte and is more like the new Colourstay formula in terms of matteness - it has a slight shine to it but also is more matte than a satin foundation if that makes sense? I really like this though as totally matte foundations don't really work on me. The coverage is jusssst about medium and I find this very easy and quick to apply and a nice colour match. I've been using this for several days and I can't fault it! It's really quite pretty, goes a bit funny around my nose when applying but I actually really like it. Not too heavy, not too matte but lasts a good 7 hours. I'm very happy and think that if you're considering it, give it a try!

For something that claims itself as "matte," it is anything but. After applying it with my beauty blender, you could see all the blackheads on my nose and the coverage was just terrible. Even when I kept building on top of it, my complexion was starting to look worse. Terrible--thought I could use this until I get my Hourglass Immaculate foundation but I'm better off not using foundation until the Hourglass arrives in the mail.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This did nothing for me in terms of matti dying/keeping my skin matte. I have oily skin and this didn't last long at all. I love MUFE's HD Foundation and to be honest that has better oil control than this does. The coverage is also nothing to be crazy about and it isn't easy to blend out. Def mediocre, you can find better drug store foundations than this.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

While I believe in using a good quality foundation, and I am sure this is one for some people, I just find this to be very 'meh' for me. First of all, had trouble finding a shade to match, even with the help of a sales associate. I am not one to buy 2 foundations and mix them together to find the 'perfect shade'. And even so, we did try mixing a few shades and just nothing seemed to blend perfectly in to my skin. Bought this when I was not tanned. #20 was too beige, #25 was too orange or something, was bad, #30 made me look too ashy, I tried #35 even though the sales associate said it would be too dark, and it looked ashy on me, as well. Maybe my skin just does not respond well to this formula..? At any rate, I settled on #20, as it seemed to be the one the sales associate thought looked best on me. First off, this for me does not apply evenly. A foundation of this price point I feel should blend pretty effortlessly. I have to blend-blend-blend like crazy. And that is even with smooth exfoliated skin, no dry patches, even tried over a couple different moisturizers, even trying with different brushes and sponges to blend. Then it seemed to fade fast on me as the day wore on. Coverage (very slight monthly breakout) was not very good, not what I had hoped, anyway. Then this broke down on me weird as the day wore on. Honestly it felt like a cheap drugstore foundation, how it performed for me. The only good I can say is I do not detect a scent with this and this does not break me out.

on 6/8/2016 11:40:00 PM

Loved it at first...loved the long-lasting matte finish it gave my skin. However, this particular foundation gave me the oilies after about 1 week of use. My skin just seemed to get oilier and oilier after each use. Not going to reuse this.

pros:
- creamy texture
- thick consistency
- no wierd smell
- full and buildable coverage
- long wearing
- it takes about 6 hours before i saw oil coming out of my tzone
- matte finish

cons
- cling to dry spot esp on nose area
- doesn't look natural esp when put layers of product
- expensive