Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

First, I'll say its obvious being close to paper white its next to impossible to find a foundation that doesnt color me orange. This is one of the only brands that actually has a shade that matches me, but It does keep me matte all day with a velvety texture and has concealer like coverage: the only downside is that it does crease throughout the day a bit even with primers/setting spray.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I have been on a quest to find my HG foundation. This isn't it, but it's not totally awful.

Coverage:
I applied this first with a beauty blender, but it sheered out this medium coverage foundation to sheer coverage. Imo it goes on better with a brush.

Wear time:
I have DRY skin so I never set my foundations- and I especially didn't think i'd have to set a MATTE foundation. But it actually got shinier than my GA Luminous Silk foundation. Idk how people with oily skin wear this, unless they're using primer and setting powder (but if it's a matte foundation you shouldnt need all of that?).

At the end of the day, i still had most of my skin problems covered. There was a lot of shine in my t-zone, but the foundation was still on.

More stuff:
The color selection was pretty decent, and the squeeze top packaging dispenses a good, prudent amount of product.

Overall, it's not a bad foundation for the price but it just didn't stand out to me. Too matte to be glowy, too shiny to be matte- it's great if you happen to be an EXACT color match but I'm not buying this again.

on 1/27/2017 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I moved to NYC in August. AUGUST! And nobody told me about the heat waves or the humidity. I have dry skin and the makeup I had been wearing would melt off my face like an ice cream cone. I did some research and read that this was *THE* foundation to fight humidity. I had my doubts but this stuff is THE BOMB. Applied it once in the morning - lasted ALL FRIGGIN DAY and it didn't dry my skin out. HG HG HG!!! The color choice is great and I used it with my Beauty Blender sponge. Now that it's winter here, I can't use because it's too drying it so I am currently using MUFE's HD Ultra which is also dope.

on 1/27/2017 10:32:00 AM

This is alright, it has a creamy-chalky texture that reminds me of more old-school foundations. It covers redness and most of my skin issues pretty well; I'd call it medium coverage. It looks good when freshly applied. Not the best I've ever seen - but good. It's the worst at keeping me matte, though. The worst. The MUFE HD foundation makes me look less oily than this, and so do my 2 fave drugstore foundations (Revlon Colorstay Whipped and their HD foundation stick). When the oil seeps through, this stuff becomes a patchy, weird mess. Also, for that price you should get way more product.

on 12/14/2016 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have worn this foundation for a couple of years.

Lately, I have had to buy drugstore foundation because my annual income has changed.

I was never WOWED by this foundation

UNTIL

I bought L'oreal Infallible and Wet N Wild Coverall.

Both L'oreal and Wet N Wild made my pores INSANELY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE.

I have not been wearing the Makeup For Ever because it is my summer shade and too dark right now and I was thinking oh my gosh my pores have GROWN.

Today I wore the too dark Makeup Forever and there were no pores visible.

So after seeing no pores yesterday, today I put one foundation on one side of my face, and the L'oreal on the other. IMMEDIATELY I saw the scary difference. The L'oreal settled right into pores making them craters, and the Makeup For Ever looked so smooth and flawless..... despite the darkness of the color.

I now have a new respect for this foundation. It makes my skin beautiful and flawless. I need go get a shade that matches my winter skin. No matter what. I guess I'll give up food for a week to get this.

on 11/2/2016 10:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

i really like this foundation and have already repurchased a second and third bottle of it. its nice stuff and satisfies virtually all of my requirements in a foundation. for reference, the only other foundation i have in my house atm is the NARS sheer glow formulation in Siberia (an attempt at finding a good cf replacement for my MUFE, Siberia is a better shade match for me but christ does it get oily I could cook an egg on my face in under an hour). I’d like to try other cf foundations on the market, and I have, but none of them work as well for me as this one by MUFE does.

coverage:
extremely medium when swiping, fairly buildable. Even though it’s a matte formulation, I still feel like the finish is very smooth and skinlike. redness is 90% knocked out but enough of my skin still shows through that it LOOKS like im wearing less makeup than i actually am. this can be built up a decent amount by packing it on with a flat-top brush rather than smoothing it on with a fluffy foundation brush, but still, i don't see how anyone could get FULL full coverage with this. however, it's worth noting that i have bumpy, acne-prone skin, and my definition of full coverage is going to be very different from the definition of someone who has generally well-behaved skin.

longevity:
I’m super combo-oily, and no foundations stay on my skin all day long without moving. I always have to take a finger or small brush to my chin and smile lines to reblend creasing and separation, invariably. but this stuff does hold up a lot better than the NARS does on me, possibly in part because the consistency is muuuch much thicker. this is an incredibly creamy foundation, and when you first try it, i recommend using less than you think you need and building up layer by layer until you know what you can pull off. easy to be heavy-handed with this stuff if you're used to normal liquid foundations.

finish:
as I’ve mentioned before, this foundation is quite matte and stays matte for a while. I do become conspicuously greasy throughout the day, but wearing this foundation it’s never as bad as it can be with others. And I don’t mind powdering my face every day, I enjoy a very matte finish tbh.

price:
honestly not the worst. there are cheaper high end options and there are pricier ones. i will say that one bottle lasts me an eternity. At least a year with near-daily moderate use. also, when you finish, definitely cut open your bottle and depot the remaining product. there will be a LOT left, even when you can't squeeze any more out. a good 6th of the product is impossible to remove from the bottle without cutting it open.

packaging:
i don't care so much what my products look like so long as they actually perform the way i need them to, and let me say, the packaging for this stuff is great. it comes in a flattish squeeze tube which makes it WONDERFUL for travel (easy to keep in your everyday makeup bag), you'll never have to worry about it breaking or popping open because the cap clicks into place, and it's soft enough that cutting it open isn't a complete nightmare. i much prefer the packaging to my NARS foundation - glass and matte black is super chic and luxurious, yeah, but the cap doesn't fit back onto the bottle the way that it used to anyway. it doesn't line up with the glass anymore. not to mention, people dont ever see my makeup just chilling at my house. even if they did, who cares. it's makeup. it's tools. i dont need my vanity to look like a damn sephora. i just want it to be serviceable so i can do what i need to do and get on with my day. mat velvet lets me do that, man. mat velvet is there for me.

who i recommend this foundation for:
i am not sure how formulations might vary from shade to shade, so let me just say, i wear 15/alabaster. i highly recommend it for super light folks with oily skin and more than just the odd spot here and there to hide. it's good stuff. i wish MUFE would just go and become CF already because honestly, i really dont even want to look anymore. i've tried other foundations and this one works the best for my needs. im glad it exists.

oh, and i nearly forgot to mention - this applies best with a brush in my experience. fingers also give an acceptable application. but avoid applying with a sponge.! a real techniques brush works well and doesn't suck up all of your product the way a sponge will. i do have an aversion to using any makeup application technique which requires that a significant amount of product dispensed end up not on my face, so to be fair i'm a little biased in this respect. but i dont think the finish with a sponge is worth it anyway - looks nice, but so does a brush, and you lose a lot less product.

**also, friendly reminder to all fellow makeup-wearers to do your best to buy products from companies who don't test on animals!! being that i have the needs that i do, i find that i can't quite pull off anything but this MUFE foundation, although i sorely wish i could. MUFE does sell in china so they condone animal testing. super lame but sadly all the other cf foundations i've found that offer the coverage and shade i need break me out :C i do not recommend buying from MUFE unless other cf brands are not as accessible or they fail to meet your needs. too faced, UD, and NARS all have some lovely cf foundations, i just wish they agreed with my skin as well as MUFE does

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I wanted to try a matte and higher coverage alternative to MUFE's Face and Body (which I adore and is the perfect colour match for me at shade 20 but would become way too shiny in like 4 hours and an odd consistency) and so I walked in to my local MUFE stand and tried this. Straight off the bat, this is NOT ultra matte and is more like the new Colourstay formula in terms of matteness - it has a slight shine to it but also is more matte than a satin foundation if that makes sense? I really like this though as totally matte foundations don't really work on me. The coverage is jusssst about medium and I find this very easy and quick to apply and a nice colour match. I've been using this for several days and I can't fault it! It's really quite pretty, goes a bit funny around my nose when applying but I actually really like it. Not too heavy, not too matte but lasts a good 7 hours. I'm very happy and think that if you're considering it, give it a try!

For something that claims itself as "matte," it is anything but. After applying it with my beauty blender, you could see all the blackheads on my nose and the coverage was just terrible. Even when I kept building on top of it, my complexion was starting to look worse. Terrible--thought I could use this until I get my Hourglass Immaculate foundation but I'm better off not using foundation until the Hourglass arrives in the mail.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This did nothing for me in terms of matti dying/keeping my skin matte. I have oily skin and this didn't last long at all. I love MUFE's HD Foundation and to be honest that has better oil control than this does. The coverage is also nothing to be crazy about and it isn't easy to blend out. Def mediocre, you can find better drug store foundations than this.

on 6/8/2016 11:40:00 PM

Loved it at first...loved the long-lasting matte finish it gave my skin. However, this particular foundation gave me the oilies after about 1 week of use. My skin just seemed to get oilier and oilier after each use. Not going to reuse this.