e.l.f. Custom Eyes - Ivory

1 review

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/4/2007 5:37:00 PM

I recently bought and just used this shade, and three others (Moondust, Periwinkle, Dusk), today. It is a light, off-white that, for such a light shade, I would describe as moderately sheer. I would describe all the "shimmer" in these shadows to be more of a pearlized glow than a real shimmer or frost. This was a pleasant surprise, because they look quite nice on -- not too frosty or shimmery at all. All of these shadows are extremely crease-resistant. All of the four shades of E.L.F. Custom Eyes shadows that I've tried are rather "crumbly." In other words, when you stroke it with your applicator or brush, too much of the product comes loose -- quite messy. Also, Dusk is the only shade of the four I tried (Ivory, Moondust, Periwinkle, Dusk) that had very good staying power. Moondust faded badly and Periwinkle was a bit weak. There was just a bit of fading for Ivory, but not nearly as much as Moondust. I must add that after the initial fade-down, this has very good staying power. Fading or weak pigmentation (sheerness) seems to be a trademark for most of these shadows, based on other reviews I've read. Also, these shadows contain talc, mineral oil and petrolatum. Too bad, because I like the packaging and I love being able to buy individual shades for a custom palette; not to mention they are only $1.00 each! I would repurchase this shade to use as a highlighter because I like the pearly glow that is left after fade-down, because it is a nice compliment to Dusk as a liner, and because of it's price even though it contains talc, mineral oil and petrolatum.

Note: please see my other review on the Custom Eyes 4-pan Palette Compact that these shadows were designed to fit in. They are WONDERFUL (and not just for these shadows)!

I ordered this shadow directly from eyeslipsface.com during their 50% off sale. They periodically have sales and coupon codes, which is great, and $5.00 flat rate shipping. There are two big problems with ordering direct, however. The first is that, although they have improved their website to show some things as out-of-stock, they still do not have a way to notify the orderer, before the order is finalized, that not all items are truly in-stock. To compound this problem, they do not put the items that they did not send on backorder for later shipment. I did not find out until my order arrived that everything I ordered was not included. The other problem is that they use only a standard weight bubble envelope with no additional padding, and things are not bound together to prevent shift. In other words, things are just stuffed in there, unprotected. I've seen other reviews mentioning these two problems, too.