e.l.f. Cosmetics Custom Eyes - Ivory

Price: $

on 9/9/2011 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Oh, fellow MUAers, how could so many of us have overlooked the obvious secondary use for this color?

Like some others, I found this a bit ... underwhelming on the eye. However, in a desperate bid to find a use for it, I dipped a powder-brush into it and applied on cheekbones (following blush), and... whoa! What a beautiful highlighter this becomes! There's a beautiful, sheer sheen to it that really brightens the skin, and absolutely no (none--zero--zilch) glitter.

If this is lying unloved in your stash someplace, drag it out and try it as a highlighter! True enough, it's only a dollar, but it might become a dollar very well spent.

on 8/4/2007 5:37:00 PM

I recently bought and just used this shade, and three others (Moondust, Periwinkle, Dusk), today. It is a light, off-white that, for such a light shade, I would describe as moderately sheer. I would describe all the "shimmer" in these shadows to be more of a pearlized glow than a real shimmer or frost. This was a pleasant surprise, because they look quite nice on -- not too frosty or shimmery at all. All of these shadows are extremely crease-resistant. All of the four shades of E.L.F. Custom Eyes shadows that I've tried are rather "crumbly." In other words, when you stroke it with your applicator or brush, too much of the product comes loose -- quite messy. Also, Dusk is the only shade of the four I tried (Ivory, Moondust, Periwinkle, Dusk) that had very good staying power. Moondust faded badly and Periwinkle was a bit weak. There was just a bit of fading for Ivory, but not nearly as much as Moondust. I must add that after the initial fade-down, this has very good staying power. Fading or weak pigmentation (sheerness) seems to be a trademark for most of these shadows, based on other reviews I've read. Also, these shadows contain talc, mineral oil and petrolatum. Too bad, because I like the packaging and I love being able to buy individual shades for a custom palette; not to mention they are only $1.00 each! I would repurchase this shade to use as a highlighter because I like the pearly glow that is left after fade-down, because it is a nice compliment to Dusk as a liner, and because of it's price even though it contains talc, mineral oil and petrolatum.

Note: please see my other review on the Custom Eyes 4-pan Palette Compact that these shadows were designed to fit in. They are WONDERFUL (and not just for these shadows)!

I ordered this shadow directly from eyeslipsface.com during their 50% off sale. They periodically have sales and coupon codes, which is great, and $5.00 flat rate shipping. There are two big problems with ordering direct, however. The first is that, although they have improved their website to show some things as out-of-stock, they still do not have a way to notify the orderer, before the order is finalized, that not all items are truly in-stock. To compound this problem, they do not put the items that they did not send on backorder for later shipment. I did not find out until my order arrived that everything I ordered was not included. The other problem is that they use only a standard weight bubble envelope with no additional padding, and things are not bound together to prevent shift. In other words, things are just stuffed in there, unprotected. I've seen other reviews mentioning these two problems, too.

on 3/5/2013 3:22:00 PM

I really love this color as a highlight color, a color to blend with and an inner eye color. It's a very pretty off white, great for blending without looking unnatural or overtaking any of the other colors in use. It does have a little shimmer to it which doesn't make a difference to me either way. I was using Crystal Avalanche (MAC) on my brow bone almost exclusively, but with some looks it was just a bit too white. This one does the job Crystal Avalanche couldn't do. It's an absolute must have for me right now. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is because the staying power (I used with a primer) could be better. But hey, what do you expect for $1? It has already far surpassed my expectations already.

on 4/7/2012 3:07:00 PM

I bought this thinking I wouldn't like it since it was so cheap but I figured I'd only be out a dollar. I've actually bought this about 4 times now. I like it as an overall wash. This is the color I wear when I don't feel like anything out of the ordinary. An every-day look, if you will. It is very soft and breaks really easy but that also helps it apply really easy. It blends well too. It has some shimmer but nothing over the top.

on 5/29/2011 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Pretty color, but it rubs off so easily. Smooth formulation, but zero staying power.

on 3/28/2010 1:56:00 AM

Love this ivory. A lot of these whiter colors have shimmer in them, and I don't notice any in the Ivory. Very awesome base color for a natural eye look.

This color is great to use as a highlighter especially for the smoky eye look. It's shimmery but soft enough to provide decent contrast under the brows. Besides, it only costs a dollar! :D

I recently did a huge ELF haul b/c, well, for $1 a product it would be dumb not to check them out. I liked most of the eyeshadows I purchased, but this was the most versatile and my fave. It is a shimmery pearl color and serves as a fantastic highlighter with almost any shade of eyeshadow. I found it to be especially pretty with their moondust and their lilac. I would have given it 5 lippies, but the excess that I have to blow off every time is annoying. Of course for $ that is no big deal, but still cost it a lippy in my book! I am doing a review for each of the products I ordered for those of you who are curious whether or not $1 cosmetics could possibly be good!

I was pleasantly surprised with this eyeshadow! The pigmentation is great and I use it all the time for a highlight! It's a really nice white (not too shimmery) eyeshadow that truly brightens your eyes.
Only drawback is that it's not very firmly packed, so just softly dipping your brush into it generates a lot of product that's a little messy.
But despite that, a great highlighter with *very decent pigmentation. Definitely worth the dollar.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Well Mocha impressed the heck out of me but where Mocha shined, Ivory falls short. It has very little lasting power even over UDPP on my oily eyelids. Looked very nice as a highlight when it was applied, but did not stick around. Would not repurchase, and I'm glad it was only $1.