no images

price range

Reviews

1.0

a year ago

Purchased Nars shadow in ''Blondie.'' No eyeshadow has emphasized the crinkles in my eyelid as much as this Nars shadow did. I WILL NEVER WEAR IT. Very disappointing.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBlond

EyesBlue

3 years ago

it is difficult to write an overall review for "powder eyeshadow" or "blush" for any company with an extensive line of these products (to say nothing of seasonal/limited edition releases). Every company - from MAC to Make Up For Ever to Chanel, etc., will have some absolutely wonderful products and some clinker/stinkers and NARS is no exception. The powder shadows - and I have quite a few duos and singles - are sort of like the little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead. When they're good, they are really, REALLY good and when they're bad (like Marie Galante), they are horrid. Thanks to MakeupAlley and blogs like Temptalia, I've been able to avoid most of the stinkers and most of the shadows I have purchased have turned out to be delightful - pigmented, creamy, often unique in their colours or pairings in the duos. Those that really stand out (sadly, some are no longer available at Sephora and, living in Canada, ordering directly from NARS is a "no go" for me) are the duos Nouveau Monde, Kauai, Habanera and Kalahari, as well as the single shadow in Lhasa - one of my all time favourites. I know a lot of people really hate NARS's rubber packaging but I don't mind it at all (though I'd prefer totally flat packages over the slightly domed ones, since I stack much of my makeup). NARS can always be counted on to release interesting colour pairings - sometimes a bit too unusual - though the quality can vary widely. At NARS prices, the quality should always be first rate, but it isn't, and as I said at the outset, the same is true about practically every other cosmetics company. But I am always eager to see "what's next" from NARS and love many, many of their shadows though I am glad I have information resources to check them out and avoid costly mistakes.

About reviewer (1489 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Coarse

4 years ago

This review is for the limited edition of the Steven Klein eyeshadow in STUD, to say I am in love with this color is an understatement is putting it mildly (well what can I say ? I don't have a love life!). This color goes down in the annals of: never seen a color like this anywhere. It is a real sparkler that goes on evenly and standing it's own is a scene stealer but not garish, I had zero fallout. The color is get ready: a taupe/pewter/silverish/ somewhat bronze shade. I have light brown eyes and I cannot wear a straight up silver (too cool) , bronze (too red) or gold (it fights the gold in my irises). I like this so much and it was sold out at Sephora and Nordstrom's, luckily I found it on Ebay and I am considering buying a second one because I am that crazy about it. Now I tried this in an interesting order: I put this on first then I did an overlay of Mac's coquette and while not subtle it did give the look a bit of mystery ..ooh la la, for my eyeliner I chose the Tilbury Rock'n Kohl in Barbarella brown and lined my inner upper and lower lid for waterline as it is now commonly known. I tried black and thought it harsh especially at my age, 62. Now onto the debate as to whether an old broad and that would be me) can wear frost...yes you can and in fact it actually DISGUISES any crepe(y) look. So there you have it. Oh before I forget I used a few colors in the socket area, individually and two together and they are: Mac Brun, Nars Blondie and Mac Embark all looked good.

About reviewer (96 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinNormal, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Coarse

3.0

7 years ago

I purchased the NARS Hanamichi palette and loved the whole packaging but truth be told was not over the top.The coverage is nice and shadows glide on very nicely. I love makeup and am always purchasing but the cost does not out weigh the performance in my opinion. Now again truth be told if I find a good deal on NARS cosmetics yes I will purchase more but as for it being my primary use line of cosmetics I'll pass.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinVery Oily, Olive

HairBlack

EyesBlack

7 years ago

NARS eyeshadows are awesome products. They last long and are heavily pigmented. I find they justify their cost. Now I just use NARS eyeshadows and don't bother with the cheap drugstore products.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlack

from

8 years ago

I don't care what color you get - NARS eyeshadows are the jam. I have them in many different shades, and they are all beautifully blendable and layerable. NARS is known for its sparkle, which I have never had a problem with. If you're not a fan of sparkle, you probably shouldn't get NARS shadows. But if you like a little pizzazz around your eyes, then these are the shadows for you. I use the shadows as liners, too, applied with a brush, and they create a very nice, soft lined look. I'm a HUGE fan of pretty much every shade of purple shadow they have since I have green eyes, but they are all wonderful little jewels. Depending on your look, you can apply them heavily or lightly and they look just as striking either way. The pigment in these shadows is very dense, so make sure to start lightly and don't use a heavy hand - a little product goes a long, long way.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

EyesGreen

from

9 years ago

I love NARS like no one's biz! Nars has a little more oomph and extravagance in every shade, so it's a guilt-free splurge. The staying power is so strong from sunrise to sunset, and contains the right amount of shimmer. I have oily eyelids and these will fade, but color still stays on. The texture is smooth and velvety as some have mentioned making it one of the most coveted e/s in the biz.

About reviewer (13 reviews)

SkinCombination, Tan, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

EyesOther

11 years ago

Since this is a general review on NARS eyeshadows overall, I'll try to be as detailed as possible: At $32 for a duo, and $22 for a single, these are the most expensive eyeshadows I have ever purchased. I don't think that overall the quality of these is better than MAC or Urban Decay, however, NARS offers some of the most vivid, unique, and highly pigmented shades I have ever seen and this is why I continue to buy them. The texture of these is quite variable. I have the purchasing pattern of sticking my finger in the tester before I buy it... some of these can be quite chalky and others are unbelievably velvety. The velvety-textured shades will apply the same shade as in the pan with the tiniest amount of product, while the chalkier shades go on more sheer but are often buildable.<P>I'm not as fond of the packaging as everyone else is. I generally don't have problems with dropping makeup and having it destroyed, so maybe that's part of my lack of appreciation of the black rubber case. The quality of it is quite good, and it's nice that it's got a full real mirror - Urban Decay seriously needs to work on that with their palletes and stop putting shiny silver stickers in there. I digress. While the packaging is of high quality, every NARS eyeshadow and blush I own looks exactly alike when lined up together. The only difference is the shade name printed on the bottom. I really like the way UD eyeshadows have the name printed (more boldly) on the bottom, a sticker with the approximate color of the shadow on the bottom, and the clear window on the top. The bottom of Clinique shadows similarly have the shade name printed but with a color-coded pan that very closely approximates the color of the shadow. I just really hate the idea of not being able to tell my Rated R eyeshadow from my Desire blush without having to look closely. For me, the big advantage to buying a NARS eyeshadow is the uniqueness of the color. I don't buy the neutral shades since I can get plenty of less expensive neutrals in less mysterious packaging from other brands. The thing that completely baffles me, however, is how on earth the shades in the duos were put together. I love the duo colors separately, however, they seem to be the two shades least suited to each other and are impossible to wear together. Again, it doesn't matter so long as I like both of the shades, but something I've seen a lot of complaints about is the purchase of a duo in which only one shade is nice and then you're left with a shade that's useless because it doesn't suit you and can't be paired with a nice shade. My overall take: If you're willing to spend the money and you love the color, NARS will not disappoint! If you're inexperienced with makeup and you buy duos/trios/quads/quints because the colors are supposed to be nicely paired to be worn together, NARS will make you crazy. Buy something else.

About reviewer (165 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

EyesOther

11 years ago

I absolutely LOVE NARS eyeshadows. Although the quality & ease of application really depends on the colors you chose, they are overall a great investment. I love the mirrors that come along with them. They are really cute and the designs are quite handy and don't take up much space. They are easy to apply, long-lasting and are easy to smudge with a brush. My favorite color is Fez, a dark brown shade with a pinch of bronze. My friend has guadapolos which I am planning to get soon.

About reviewer (104 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinNormal, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

EyesBlue

2.0

11 years ago

Pigment is amazing here, but it disappoint me that these dont stick to my skin and I have tried it with so many different bases. I always end up with faded looks. No other eye shadow has done this to me. I like the compact and I like how the look in the compact. But the staying power frustrates me so much.

About reviewer (327 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Warm