72%
package quality

price range

Reviews

2 years ago

April Violets is a Lovely Violet Perfume.. Violet leaves Citrus fruits Orris Mimosa Peach Sandalwood Vanilla Powder April Violets is a Powdery,Dainty,Old fashioned Pretty Perfume...Smells like Violets & Spring!

About reviewer (408 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

6 years ago

Lovely scent.. I was convinced it was going to be much sweeter (which is what I prefer) The ideal scent to me is Chowards violet candies and this one was much more green and more powdery. Its definitely a perfume that opens up after 5-10 min on the skin. Most likely you will not love it at first but be patient.... The first spray reminds me of fruity cantalopes, then it turns into a greener scent, then sweet-green then powdery violets after 5-10 min on the skin. I liked it at first but after smelling it on my skin once it warmed up, wow, delicious sweet powdery violets that indeed remind me of Chowards violet candies! Like turned into loving it. Its definitely a perfume with a lot more depth than I was expecting. I paid 21 bucks on ebay and for the price, I really did not know what to expect. Its such a wonderful perfume and if you are into the whole sweet violet powdery scents, omg you will love this. Keep in mind once again, you gotta give it a few minutes to open up...like a bottle of wine! :)

About reviewer (25 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

7 years ago

I have loved April Violets forever. This is the scent that made me fall in love with violets. I have Guerlain Insolence, but that's a very strong, heady interpretation of violets, this is springtime green violets. Amazing.

About reviewer (185 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

3.0

8 years ago

It's too sour to me to be a good violet perfume, not warm but rather cold, green and sharp. The drydown is milder, but very faint. Lacks lasting power on the imo the essential part. I'm dissapointed. If you try to spray a lot you only get the opening lemony hairspray-ish smell...

About reviewer (63 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

1.0

11 years ago

My mother inlaw recently allowed me to raid her fragrance cupboard and I took a whole bunch of scents Ive never heard of before and that are now dc'd (yay), including this one. Ive heard of Yardley of course but never would I have dreamt of actually wearing any of their perfumes since once when I was a young teen and I think I wore one of their stinky creations like 'Lace' or something similarly horrible. Anyway this was a full bottle so I sprayed it, immediately thought "OLD LADY" and put it up for sale on Eb@y. Anyway after a couple days I noticed that several people were vying to buy this and the price was creeping toward $100 when this probably cost closer to $10 when it was actually for sale. Now I know dc'd perfumes can cause somewhat of a frenzy but what surprised me most that this old lady pot pourri scent could cause a final sale price of $130!! I can't even sell dc'd Gucci for that much. So I decided to have one more spray to see if I dismissed it too quickly without giving it a proper chance. Once again all I can say is old lady floral put purri in her nursing home room. And YES i have been to visit my 95 year old aunt in her stinky nursing home room with pot pourri and this perfume takes me right back there, Im not just making it up and being critical. After about 10 minutes it smells soapy, like a sharp clean soap. God is this what violets smell like??. I read that the extract used in this perfume is 100% parma violets so thats probably why it is so valuable as not many violet perfumes today use that extract. But still, I dont think Ive ever had a violet scent before because I would remember smelling something so disagreeable to me. To think that those pretty little violets smell like this! Anyway I do not like this one bit, and will update on drydown if anything changes. UPDATE: I have now had the opportunity to sample Borsari's infamous Violetta di Parma and I think I can understand why my perfume was so sought after. They both use the same violet extract in them and yes they do smell very very similar. I can tell that VdP has some extra notes in there that give the violets a bit of a sweeter edge, and Ithink it might last a bit longer, but apart from that, they are truly hard to tell apart. I still don't like violet scents much, but if I had to pick one I would choose VdP because of the sweetness, but I know that anyone looking for a TRUE violet (which would be more 'green' than sweet) would probably appreciate April Violets more.

About reviewer (314 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

EyesHazel

11 years ago

There's something special about the scent of violets. It isn't that common, really. There're plenty of rose and lily scents, but violet is sharper and more subtle. Everyone immediately thinks violets = sweet/ innocent/simple/springtime-y. Yes, but to me, the scent of violets is more complex. There's an undertone of, not sadness, but ...melancholy. Like a minor chord in music. I like to wear this on a rainy day. I don't always like sweetness and light, give me the gloom and rain once in a while! Yardley April Violets fulfills this very nicely indeed. I found it to be very strong and long-lasting! It can be layered with other scents. The only bad thing I can say is, I've owned a spray bottle for a long time, kept it in the cool dark, and yet it still "turned" on me, a bit "off". Still love it and will purchase more someday, as I think this is the very model of "violet" if you don't want the scent muddled with anything else.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

SkinCombination, Other

HairBlond

12 years ago

This is a beautiful fragrance for really hot weather - light, delicate and refreshing. Unfortunately I find that Yardley fragrances have very little staying power on me and in Australia at least they are quite expensive for what they are. If this had better staying power and was a touch cheaper I would rebuy it to layer with other fragrances.

About reviewer (816 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

13 years ago

Yardley April Violets-A lively ,demi-sec, carbonated violet that bubbles addictively around ones senses. Think of spring days and freshly pressed linen or where the violet flower has been placed in a box which previously held cranberry fudge-Not overly confectionary but like a naturally sweet plum or peach. I feel forever bound to this one.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

SkinCombination

13 years ago

Surprisingly long lasting considering the simple, fragile scent. It's a sweet violet scent without being to candy-like, and it has some base notes (vanilla? amber?) that gives it a bit of depth. I love love love the bottle! Reminds me of a 1930s beauty parlour.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium

13 years ago

My mother wore this, and passed a bottle along to me. I always feel cool and refreshed when I put this on, and smell divine. It really does capture the scent of violets in spring. This is not a complex fragrance, and that's alright with me!

About reviewer (318 reviews)

SkinNormal