Peter Thomas Roth Environmental Repair Hydrating Gel

No Image

on 7/8/2009 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I really cannot believe they discontinued this product, it was my summer time fav, they have replaced it with a silimar serum which is 1/3 of the amount you get when you purchase this one, I have not tried it yet but I already miss this, was going to replenish my empty bottle and it is gone : (

on 2/5/2009 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Similar outcome on my face to the SkinCeuticals B5 Gel, however this product does offer a plethora of ingredients in comparison. Including fragrance, unfortunately. Anyway, down to the results:

Not hydrating enough, even though the label states it's for all skin types, so quite frankly if I have relatively oily skin and I'm left feeling dehydrated, I suppose what PTR should be stating is that this product is intended for oily-to very oily skins. My face was left feeling taut, make-up applied over it looked blotchy and dry patches were illuminated. The texture is unpleasantly sticky.

on 12/6/2008 1:11:00 PM

My extremely oily / acne prone wants to try it this winter but seems to be discountinued

on 11/4/2008 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

What?! D/c'd? That's just WRONG PTR! Wah. OK even if it's d/c'd, I'm still offering up my comments, juuuuust in case you wander upon an unused bottle for sale on eBay or something. This product is a reasonably priced gel that works wonders. As the labeling says, you can use it on its own (instead of a "traditional" moisturizer) if you have oily skin. You can layer it under your moisturizer if you have drier skin. It is a hydrator, not a moisturizer - and my aethetician (when promoting another hyaluronic acid-containing product) made sure to note that they are not the same thing. Presumably, one of the critical ingredients is sodium hyaluronate (the salt of hyaluronic acid), which is extremely hygroscopic, meaning that the molecules (actually, the hyaluronate in this case - or the hyaluronic acid in other products) will hold onto water molecules like label fiends hold onto their Louis Vuitton bags. The aestheticians will tell you that each molecule holds some large number of water molecules (yeah, I forget the number), thereby assisting your skin in staying hydrated. Aside from the real chemistry - I can attest that this stuff is a lovely addition to my skin care routine. Generally speaking, good hydrating gels - like this one and another one I tried from a spa line - help your skin look good with or without makeup. They typically work with a moisturizer and sunscreen and foundation and don't add problems - heaven knows that things are already pretty complicated with the many layers of cr*p that we put on our faces. The packaging notes that this is "oil-free with whole leaf aloe vera liposomes, vitamin A, provitamin B5, and .. vitamins C and E". Excellent product. I can only hope that - as they phase this one out...that PTR is coming up with something even better.

on 8/22/2008 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

My skin still felt dry and tight after several applications--not for me.

on 8/1/2008 11:27:00 AM

What??? They are discontinuing this gel? Pardon me but I find that shocking because of 2 reasons: 1- I just bought this several days ago from Clini7 salon and 2- I am really in love with it that I am hailing it as my first HG. My only gripe is the bottle container but I guess it is useless now that this will be d/c soon. This gel has:

1. The classic texture of aloe vera gel (but with 10x more hydrating power and is absorbed very fast);
2. The smoothness-effect of Skinceu's B5 gel (without the tight-face feeling);
3. The healing properties of Sisley Restorative Facial Cream (without the grease)
4. The hydrating effect of La Mer cream gel (without the stupendous and insulting price tag)

Whenever my face feels red, stingy and raw, especially after too much exfoliation or after abusing my PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads, nothing...I repeat nothing...calms it faster and better than this gel. I also love the fact that I can put as much or as thick as I want and it will all be absorbed into my skin. I love doing this at night and wake up to smooth velvety skin or whenever I feel like really loving my skin because this is what you will feel about your skin the minute you spread this gel on your cheeks. My skin is very comfy and plump with this product. TRULY EXCELLENT. I guess I have to go back to the salon and stock up on this.

UPDATE: This is HG material for someone with combo/oily, sensitive and highly-reactive to oil skin like me who lives in hot weather all year round. I use this every AM and PM now. This gel is the most friendly one with my clarins s/s. I can see this working as wonderful with any mattifying s/s. Nourishes my skin like nothing else and did not cause any break out. I also noticed that I do not need to repeat retouching with powder/fdn when I have this on, one retouch at 1pm lasts till 9pm. Can't rave enough.

on 5/21/2008 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This gel feels very similar to aloe vera. It is not greasy, but it will leave a smooth shine on the skin (though will be matte to the touch). I use it at night, since there is no SPF. I bought this for the anti-oxidants, and it is my go-to treatment after sun exposure. I used to work in NYC and I used this all the time at night to try to counter-act whatever I was exposed to throughout the day. I have absolutely no idea if the anti-oxidants in this gel actually do anything, but I feel better thinking they might. This is not very moisturizing, but it isn't drying either. It is about as moisturizing as aloe. It does not irritate my sensitive skin. I use this for the antioxidants and as a light night moisturizer if I'm breaking out.

on 4/3/2008 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my new night cream that is a light weight gel indeed. Absolutly super for my oily skin, absorbs fast and is hydrating. Does not make me more oily and I stay matte and normal much longer than any past nightcream that I have used. Has not made me break out or clog my pores.
I think all skintypes can use this, the dry ones can use this as an extra hydrating serum, and we oily can use it alone.
Only wish that it hade an spf, so I could use it as a daycream. Love the packing, both the design and the pump, you get exactly enough and the packing keeps the antioxidats stabil.
Contains: Water, Methyl Gluceth-20, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Phospholipids, Retinyl Palmitate (Micellized Vitamin A), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Micellized Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Micellized Vitamin E), Propylene Glycol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Sodium PCA, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Polysorbate 20, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance.

on 3/29/2008 12:07:00 AM

At the beginning I didn't know whether or not to like this product since I had purchased many different moisturizers and this was only one of them. Then when I started to get a really bad round of breakouts, I started using the PTR AHA/BHA acne gel. That gel had a surprising amount of alcohol and my face started stinging a bit afterwards. I then applied this product and my face all of a sudden felt SO much better. No more stinging, no irritation. And of course, no greasy residue. WOW. No way am I returning this to Sephora.
********* UPDATE ********** This thing is truly amazing. I once over-washed my face and my skin started to feel very very unhappy -- irritated and stinging a bit -- and I put this on and it calmed my entire face down, almost on contact. This is by far the very best moisturizer for oily skin I have ever used.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of my staples and I'm on my 4th or 5th bottle now. It's oil-free gel and might not be moisturizing enough for dry skin, but it's perfect for oily skin like mine! Moisturizing and gentle, it makes my skin supple without leaving any greasy shine. Won't breakout either. I usually use it alone in summer and with other richer products during winter time.

My only complain is the glass bottle with pump. When there's only a little product left, it's very hard to get things out. Even when I take the pump off, it does't help a lot because the bottle opening is so narrow. I wish I could squeeze or cut the glass bottle!