Clarins Multi Active Night Cream

Clarins Multi Active Night Cream

aqua; cetearyl isononanoate; dimethicone; isonylisonoanoate; glycerin; cetearyl alcohol; butlyne glcol; buryospermum parkii (shea butter) glyceryl stearate; peg-100 stearate; cetearyl glucoside; phenoxyethanol; parfum/fragrance; carbomer; ehylhexyglecerin; tocopheryl acetate; tromethamine; hydrolyzed ceratonia siliqua seed extract; disodium EDTA; caprylic/capric trigyceride; actindia chenensis (kiwi) fruit extract; sodium benzoate; termus termophillus ferment; glutamylamidoethyl imidazole; potassium sorbate; rhodiola rosea root extract; sodium laryl sulfate; sorbic acid

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

This review is for the 'normal/combination' formula. I seriously regret having spent over £40 on this. I only bought it because I got a lot of freebies, but still. Most of the freebies weren't very good at all. Having tried a lot of Clarins facial products, I don't think they are anything special.

I first decided to look into this night cream when I was given a sample. My skin was very dry from other products and this moisturiser soothed my skin and hydrated it very well. My skin got back to normal and was looking moisturised and glowy. However, I then bought a jar and after continued use it became too much to my skin. It is quite heavy for a cream for normal/combination skin. It is not a thick cream but it is too rich for me. It worked when my skin was drier but when it was back to normal it was too much. It caused congestion and a flare up of pimples on my chin. I stopped using it, used it again one night and in the morning I had pimples again.

Even though I liked this cream at first, I must say it smells quite intense and the smell started bothering me. Also, the packaging is not only unhygienic but also not very functional. It's heavy, it's designed so that cream accumulates on the sides under the opening... and it's just awkward to hold.

I seriously doubt that this moisturiser is all Clarins makes it out to be. The ingredients are not stellar and the jar doesn't keep the antioxidants stable. I think this is nice moisturiser for drier skin, yes, but I don't think it's worth the price considering it will only moisturise. That being said, it's quite hard to find an effective moisturiser for mostly normal (combination in the Summer) skin that is also prone to hormonal acne. So if this worked, I'd be willing to put up with the terrible jar packaging, the annoying fragrance and the exorbitant price. It didn't, so I am using it up on my neck.

Overall I think this is a nice yet overpriced basic moisturiser. It feels luxurious and is nice to use but I don't think it will do all that Clarins claims. It's too rich my skin. My problem area is my chin, but this is too rich overall. I think Clarins products feel very luxurious but a lot of them are too rich. I imagine ladies with drier skin would love this!

Edit 23/06/16: Even though this is too rich for nightly use for me, it really does hydrate very well. When my skin got terribly dry and rough from using Avene Cleanance Expert and it was sore, I didn't know what to do! I found a deluxe sample of this on my stash and it really did a very good job of getting my skin back to normal. This is a great moisturiser, it is just too rich for me to use every night and the smell is too strong for me. However, even though the smell is quite noticeable, it is a nice smell. Nonetheless, I can see why many people rate it.

on 6/22/2015 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I have used Clarins multi-active products for 9 years and this line of products is great for combo sensitive skin. If you use this night cream you will wake up with plump skin and look beautiful but it is temporary. I used to use this exclusively but because of the lack of anti aging ingredients and the rise in price I will only use on occasion when I want the effect that this particular product creates. If you can only try one product from Clarins try this night cream or the orange one step exfoliating cleanser.

To Read all 103 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/29/2015 11:01:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is a great night cream. I usually use the regular Clarins hydraquench cream without spf for both during the day and the night. The hydraquench is more than adequate for my combination skin (oily t zone, very dry cheeks) and I'm very happy with it.

But somehow, this is just so much better for night time use. It feels much more moisturising, yet the consistency is still light and it absorbs into the skin very easily and quickly - like all clarins moisturisers. I feel as though this genuinely has more skincare benefits too. However, this does have added fragrance. Its very light and quite lovely, but if your skin is sensitive to fragrance then this and most of the Clarins range is probably unsuitable.

Overall, if your skin needs the extra moisture, if you want a separate night cream and day cream, or if you have mature skin then I think you will love this. It's truly a lovely cream. But it is 14 extra than the hydraquench cream, and it ads up to buy both a night cream and a day cream. I do think it is worth the money is worth the money if you have it spare. But for combination-oily skins, it is not essential and the hydraquench range is more than good enough.

Lastly do not be afraid to ask clarins for samples! They almost always give them out. Also, If you buy a couple of products from Clarins online, they have great deals on so you can get travel sizes of this product and others plus free samples. I usually get the hydraquench serum, the oils and this for free with my purchases, because they are some of my favourites from the range..

This product is a little rich for my combo skin. The scent is a little strong as well. It does absorb well but made me break out a little. I've had better night creams than this one. Not horrrible but nothing special.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

This product is amazing. I have only been using it for 2days but the fine line in my forehead has diminished, my skin looks more plump, I have this healthy glow, and my face feels so smooth. I can just imagine how my skin will respond with continued use! It's quite expensive, ladies. Totally out of my budget but worth every penny! If you have fine lines and a drab complexion you definitely should splurge on a jar. Drier skin types should go for the comfort cream version of this product.

on 11/17/2014 9:56:00 AM

My friend gave me a tube of this product and it took awhile before i used it coz i was finishing my opened jar of moisturizer. To my surprise, i loved this product the first time i used it because of its scent and not being heavy on my skin. A big plus is when my co workers started noticing the glow on my face. Every time i wake up in the morning, i see a nice and fresh looking skin.I just love this product! Im definitely getting another tube of this!

on 11/16/2014 11:05:00 AM

I tried a sample, and really liked the scent. It is not greasy and absorbs well, but did break me out slightly (it was probably a bit too rich for my skin.)

on 8/14/2014 7:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I used to use the variant of this for dry skin before changing over to Olay Total Effects Firming Night Cream. The only reason why I stopped was the price. Other than that it was a pleasure to use on my sensitvie skin. Very gentle and moisturising despite the added fragrance. My skin always looked even and bright each morning. I truly think with long-term use it can be beneficial to the skin. If Olay stopped making the firming night cream, I would definitely close my eyes, open my wallet and go back to using this.

on 3/22/2014 9:51:00 PM

Loving this night cream! Feels and smells great, and after three weeks of occasional (like every other night) use I see smoother skin, more glowy, brighter. Not a fan of the jar but used to it as most of my creams seem to be packaged this way. I'm convinced that this is actually doing something, improving, my complexion. Updates in a few more weeks!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like this moisturiser! Skin does appear brighter and more moisturised after using it and skin feels a lot less tight and itchy. My skin is sensitive and it hasn't broken me out! I would purchase this again if it wasn't so expensive!