Squalane Oil (Olive Derived)

No Image

4.3

on 4/6/2018 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This review is for Timeless Squalane oil.
After reading a blog years ago that talked about squalane for sensitive skin I stupidly purchased and kept using Mayumi which is SQUALENE. (one is pronounced Sq-wah-LANE and the other Sq-wah-LEAN) and the difference has to with hydrogenation and stability. A quick google search will inform anyone of the difference but it's basic. Squalane has undergone a process to stabilize the oil so it doesn't oxidize, causing free radical damage.
Timeless was just okay. I don't respond well to olive oil so the squalane derivative was a bit irritating at times. It did, however, improve under eye darkness. I wouldn't have known if my friend hadn't pointed out I look less "tired". (I have Mediterranian coloring and prone to undereye darkness)
I have recently learned about hemisqualane. Derived from Sugar beet or sugar cane it's a lighter oil and possibly better than olive squalane. For this reason, I have ordered The Ordinary's squalane. It is derived from sugar cane/beet sugar (the company will not disclose which). I'm skeptical, as I have not enjoyed any of The Ordinary's formulas. Not one. I will post a review on that product when I have received and use it for a while.
UPDATE- My original review remains the same. The other squalane really irritated my skin. I have ordered another bottle and I have to say there is nothing better than Timeless Squalane. I have tried other live oil squalane oils and they just aren't as good.

on 2/21/2018 3:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This review is for Timeless Squalane which is olive derived. When I run out of this I buy it I may go with an ingredient supplier like Making Cosmetics or try the Ordinary's Squalene because its cheaper.
I love this stuff. Pretty much all oils except mineral break me out but I had used some other products in the past like moisturizers and foundations that had squalane that my skin was fine with, so I figured pure squalane would be ok. Is been a couple weeks and its been fine. I love this stuff, its really helped boost the moisture in my skin and hair especially now in the winter.

I use it morning and night after all my watery lotions and serums to seal and help them sink in. In the morning, I have found I can put my sunscreen on top and thats all the moisture I need. I have been using it with the Wayne Goss tip of putting one tiny drop on the tip of my sponge and then blending out my concealer and sometimes I add a drop to my Glossier Skin Tint if I'm feeling really dry. At night, its the step after watery layers, then I wait 20 min and then apply Retin-A followed with a night moisturizer. I have found that my Retin-A is still very effective this way but without as much irritation and dryness.

Squalane has also become my standard hair oil, as my old hair oils were causing either breakouts or weren't moisturizing enough. Its honestly better than any hair oil I've ever used, it conditions so well, and supposedly has some natural thermal protection properties. I have long dry wavy/curly hair and use it as the oil part of the LOC (liquid, oil, cream) method to seal in moisture,and sometimes I use a tiny bit on dry hair after styling to add a little shine.

on 12/18/2017 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This review is for the Shea Terra Organics olive derived squalane oil. I freaking love this stuff. It helps to hydrate my skin and doesn’t break me out in acne!! It absorbs quickly and doesn’t have an odor. The packaging is awesome and I can easily transfer it into my oil dropper. I apply this over my moisturizer at night.

on 8/23/2017 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

my review is on timeless squalane oil. i purchased it on a whim because i was desperate for some hydration and most moisturizers have too many ingredients in them for me to pinpoint which specific ingredient breaks me out. i am someone who is extremely prone to acne (hormonal, bacterial and fungal). the price was decent, the oil has no fragrance of any kind. i like the bottle it came in -- it had a dropper, which is probably one of the best ways to apply a skincare product. this is probably one of the thickest oils i have ever come across in my life. it broke me out in cystic acne and whiteheads in places i don't even normally break out in. if you are someone who is very prone to acne, i would not recommend this.

on 6/3/2015 9:34:00 PM

Absolute Holy Grial of oils- I've experimented with quite a few and my main 3 are: squalane (first and foremost), macadamia nut oil and jojoba oil (not actually an oil but a wax ester which traps moisture in). I love rosehip, argan and avocado, but squalane really is the best for hydrating and plumping the skin due mainly to the fact that it is the closest oil to our skin's natural oil. I've tried every cream, from high end to low end, and all manner of hydrating serums, but squalane oil really gives me that healthy hydrated glow. Will never be without. P.S. the only moisturizer I bother with these days is NIA 24 because it is proven to heal the skin's moisture barrier- and squalane is one of the ingredients :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got mine from The All Natural Face for about $5.00 for a half ounce roller ball tube. I use this under my eyes and around my mouth (laugh lines) to prevent wrinkles but I'm not sure if it's actually doing anything. It does make my skin feel nice and soft and hydrated though.

on 2/9/2014 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This stuff is the bomb. I buy it from a Garden of Wisdom, it is super cheap (compared to high end labels that sell it for a fortune), and my skin loves it -- particularly in winter when it gets dry.

I use it at night on top of Hado Labo skin plumping gel cream, which contains hyaluronic acid. I spray Avene thermal spring water on top of it (though any water will do), and then apply squalene oil. I wake up with super hydrated baby's bottom skin, even though I am using pretty strong Retin A.

One of the best beauty discoveries I've ever made. Thank you MUA and all the people who recommended this.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

In 2 days it gave me the worst blackheads (which I normally don't get anywhere but my nose). So many clogged pores! & it worsened any existing acne to insane proportions.

Acne prone/sensitive skin, beware!

on 10/3/2012 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've tried a lot of things and think this is IT!!! I've tried to be more simple/basic/natural in my skincare and have tried lots of things, but mostly ended up changing after several weeks to months. I've used this for 6 months after I tried out a cream that made me simultaneously peel and break out in hopes of helping recovery. I've been using it ever since. I get mine online from Swanson who sells it for $10/2oz. It comes in a glass bottle with a dropper. The oil is clear, thin in consistency and has no fragrance. You do need only several drops for the eyes and face. It is easy to spread and does not look oily. This has caused no breakouts!!!!! Instead it actually makes my skin look better. I don't use it alone; it absorbs very quickly almost like a dry oil. I use a fragrance free hyaluronic cream on top and I'm good to go for the day. At night I use the squalane, then a retionol cream, then a moisturizer. It just makes my skin feel more comfortable and look better. It's also great around the eyes. I'm so happy I found this.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

Ditto the other positive reviews! This has been a great success for me in resolving dry, scaly patches on my face and I now use it as my only oil for post-shower body skin hydration. I pat on 1-2 drops at night after washing my face and then follow up with EpiSilk Premium Facial Cream, which also contains squalene. It's listed as squalene on the label, but the Episilk manufacturer confirmed that it's olive-derived oil. During the winter, I was using GSO as a follow up after squalene on my body which also meant a longer wait time for getting dressed. :-) Squalane oil absorps fast, does not leave a greasy-feel, and does not aggravate the mild KP on my forearms, which exactly describes the undesirable results I got from a trial of using only sunflower oil or EVOO. I purchase this from GoW and have not been able to find a less expensive alternative that is derived from olives. Squalene is a key component for maintaining the epidermal skin barrier and unfortunately as we 'mature' that content decreases. Very pleased!