Squalane Oil (Olive Derived)

No Image

4.3

on 8/23/2017 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

my review is on timeless squalane oil. i purchased it on a whim because i was desperate for some hydration and most moisturizers have too many ingredients in them for me to pinpoint which specific ingredient breaks me out. i am someone who is extremely prone to acne (hormonal, bacterial and fungal). the price was decent, the oil has no fragrance of any kind. i like the bottle it came in -- it had a dropper, which is probably one of the best ways to apply a skincare product. this is probably one of the thickest oils i have ever come across in my life. it broke me out in cystic acne and whiteheads in places i don't even normally break out in. if you are someone who is very prone to acne, i would not recommend this.

on 6/3/2015 9:34:00 PM

Absolute Holy Grial of oils- I've experimented with quite a few and my main 3 are: squalane (first and foremost), macadamia nut oil and jojoba oil (not actually an oil but a wax ester which traps moisture in). I love rosehip, argan and avocado, but squalane really is the best for hydrating and plumping the skin due mainly to the fact that it is the closest oil to our skin's natural oil. I've tried every cream, from high end to low end, and all manner of hydrating serums, but squalane oil really gives me that healthy hydrated glow. Will never be without. P.S. the only moisturizer I bother with these days is NIA 24 because it is proven to heal the skin's moisture barrier- and squalane is one of the ingredients :)

on 10/3/2012 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've tried a lot of things and think this is IT!!! I've tried to be more simple/basic/natural in my skincare and have tried lots of things, but mostly ended up changing after several weeks to months. I've used this for 6 months after I tried out a cream that made me simultaneously peel and break out in hopes of helping recovery. I've been using it ever since. I get mine online from Swanson who sells it for $10/2oz. It comes in a glass bottle with a dropper. The oil is clear, thin in consistency and has no fragrance. You do need only several drops for the eyes and face. It is easy to spread and does not look oily. This has caused no breakouts!!!!! Instead it actually makes my skin look better. I don't use it alone; it absorbs very quickly almost like a dry oil. I use a fragrance free hyaluronic cream on top and I'm good to go for the day. At night I use the squalane, then a retionol cream, then a moisturizer. It just makes my skin feel more comfortable and look better. It's also great around the eyes. I'm so happy I found this.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got mine from The All Natural Face for about $5.00 for a half ounce roller ball tube. I use this under my eyes and around my mouth (laugh lines) to prevent wrinkles but I'm not sure if it's actually doing anything. It does make my skin feel nice and soft and hydrated though.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

In 2 days it gave me the worst blackheads (which I normally don't get anywhere but my nose). So many clogged pores! & it worsened any existing acne to insane proportions.

Acne prone/sensitive skin, beware!

on 2/9/2014 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This stuff is the bomb. I buy it from a Garden of Wisdom, it is super cheap (compared to high end labels that sell it for a fortune), and my skin loves it -- particularly in winter when it gets dry.

I use it at night on top of Hado Labo skin plumping gel cream, which contains hyaluronic acid. I spray Avene thermal spring water on top of it (though any water will do), and then apply squalene oil. I wake up with super hydrated baby's bottom skin, even though I am using pretty strong Retin A.

One of the best beauty discoveries I've ever made. Thank you MUA and all the people who recommended this.

on 4/16/2012 7:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

You ladies are right, this particular oil is more of a rare lesser known beauty treatment especially compared to the well renowned standard Olive oil (which is also great). I love MUA for this purpose- there is so much knowledge here to be discovered & uncovered <3

So far so good with this. Since tossing aside branded moisturisers in Jan & switching to natural oils instead i'm so impressed, surprised & amazed by how wonderfully they moisturise my skin WITHOUT leaving any greasy residue! And a little goes a long long way as this oil is 100% pure & concentrated which means every drop is highly potent.

The use of this oil on my skin easily supersedes the performance of any moisturiser I used to use & i've tried loads. I always had issues with still feeling tautness on the skin after application especially as UK water is so dry so I grew accustomed to then applying more by never liked the accompanying greasy or coated feeling. This is never the case with this oil.

These are the overall qualities that Olive Squalane has that i'm particularly enthusiastic about: Moisturising, UV protection, anti aging, skin smoothing (make-up glides beautifully over it), has some anti fungal abilities & above all it is NOT GREASY! Dries to a lovely barely there finish. And as I can use it sparingly on face/neck/chest it should last me at least a year & the shelf life is 2 yrs.

Since switching to natural products my skin has gradually been changing for the better & this is a contributing factor as it doesn't clog my pores or break me out. Its so nice to use, I just pour a little in to my palms, rub together & then massage over my face. I believe that it has helped refine the contours of my face too so overall smoothness (of fine lines) has improved which is where it gets its 'face lift in a bottle' label i'm sure! This is my current staple

on 2/21/2010 5:06:00 PM

Using olive derived squalane was an initiative I had, to use more natural products instead of moisturizers with a long list of chemicals in them.

Purchased this from the garden of wisdom. I'm not quite sure how to rate this product. It was great for all parts of my face except the forehead. My monthly pimples got more and more "fierce". At one point I had clusters of pimples in the same spot - you could literally see the 2 or more pus filled heads in the same spot. I even had pimples after my period was over.

I visited an acne treatment clinic in my city and the doctor said not to use oil-based products on the face, no matter what I read on the internet x=. He said stop whatever you are doing and just use cetaphil to moisturize.

I would really hate it if using this caused all that acne for which the post inflammatory hyperpigmentation marks are going to take months and months to fade. I'm thankful I did not have any scars. My opinion is that a real doctor would be more correct than someone who sells essential/carrier oils or articles on the internet regarding the benefits of oils, so people, please be careful of what you read on the internet there is just so much junk everywhere you see.

on 12/13/2009 1:06:00 AM

I've been using Mayumi Squalane (2.17 oz. found online at iHerb only $15.48!) for about a year, and it has entirely removed any dry patches on my face. I've also been using Now Hyaluronic Acid Joint Support capsules (2 in the morning and evening) which plumps up the skin (less wrinkles), and Now Hyaluronic Acid Serum. In the morning and evening I apply the Hyaluronic Serum first, then the squalane (I apply it to my face, including my eyelids and under my eyes, neck, and chest) and then a bit of moisturizer. I also mix Hyaluronic serum and Squalane in with my body lotion. It's truly amazing on cuticles and dry feet! I make sure I apply it to my tootsies before bedtime. Don't forget to wear socks.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

Ditto the other positive reviews! This has been a great success for me in resolving dry, scaly patches on my face and I now use it as my only oil for post-shower body skin hydration. I pat on 1-2 drops at night after washing my face and then follow up with EpiSilk Premium Facial Cream, which also contains squalene. It's listed as squalene on the label, but the Episilk manufacturer confirmed that it's olive-derived oil. During the winter, I was using GSO as a follow up after squalene on my body which also meant a longer wait time for getting dressed. :-) Squalane oil absorps fast, does not leave a greasy-feel, and does not aggravate the mild KP on my forearms, which exactly describes the undesirable results I got from a trial of using only sunflower oil or EVOO. I purchase this from GoW and have not been able to find a less expensive alternative that is derived from olives. Squalene is a key component for maintaining the epidermal skin barrier and unfortunately as we 'mature' that content decreases. Very pleased!

Popular Moisturizers