Kate Somerville Gentle Daily Wash

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Kate Somerville Gentle Daily Wash

2.9

Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG/PPG-8/3 Diisostearate, Glycerin, Acrylates Copolymer, Silicone Quaternium-8, Saponins, Butylene Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Sodium Hydroxide, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Disodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Zinc PCA, Citric Acid, Limonene, Linalool.

This is a decent cleanser, but it's no appropriate for my combination skin. With prolonged daily use, I felt it really dried out my skin and compromised my moisture barrier, especially in combination with my regularly used exfoliating acids. And if I have to choose between a cleanser and my favorite exfoliating acids, I'm going with the acids. Ever since I backed off the foaming cleanser in favor of cream and oils/balms, it's been dandy.

on 3/31/2016 1:32:00 PM

I received a tester of this product and broke out very badly... Swollen eyes, red rash with pistoles around my nose, cheeks and chin and an itchy rash going down my neck. My face also felt bumpy/rough and it was red. I was really wanting to like this product as I loved the feeling at the time and it smells lovely. In still waiting for my rash to go and I will not ever buy this product.

The sales lady gave me a 5-day sample because I was seeking something sulfate free. Initially, I thought it was fine and purchased an entire bottle. Turns out it is no different than purpose or cetsphil. I have combo, sensitive and acne-prone skin. I needed moisturizer after using and didn't think it so gentle for what I paid for. I am not going to buy this again, but this might work out for someone else.

on 6/11/2013 10:01:00 PM

I'm a bit shocked that this carries the 'gentle' label. My skin is combination, but goes through occasional bouts of excessive oil production. This cleanser stripped my skin to the point that it was uncomfortably dry and red (think afternoon at beach without sunblock). And, if you're like me with the random oil issues, you know that stripping the skin that severely will just exacerbate the oil problem. So, my uncomfortably dry skin and I will not continue to use. As a side note, the smell (lavender-ish) was a little off putting. I don't really like my face care items to be quite so strongly fragranced.

on 1/18/2012 12:38:00 PM

I would not recommend any of Kate Somerville's products. I've been a Proactiv user for about 10 years. I have sensitive, combination skin. Proactiv has been pretty good to me all these years, but I noticed I was getting little breakouts under my chin. That's when I decided to give Kate Somerville a try.

I bought the kit at first and noticed improvements in the first week. I then ordered more product. Within a few days, my face totally broke out on my nose, chin, forehead and cheeks. That has NEVER happened to me before when I used Proactiv. When I was on Proactiv, I would get the occasional break out on the chin, but not all over my face!

I do not recommend any of her products for sensitive skin. It's been 2-3 weeks, and I'm back on Proactiv. My nose, cheeks and forehead are getting better. My chin on the other hand, is still struggling. I think it's trying to get rid of all that Kate Somerville crap that's already in my system.

I do like it - I really do - but it's so expensive. In the UK this wash retails at 33 (over US$52) as opposed to US$32 in the USA.

The wash itself is lovely - a pleasant amount of foam from a small squeeze, not drying and not over-scented. I use it with an Ole Henriksen Complexion Sponge, which I bought from Bath & Unwind.

The tube is another matter altogether. The "lid" twists to allow a small central channel to open, then you squeeze out the desired amount. The tube is designed to be stood on its "lid". The problem with this is that however much you carefully wipe the product away from the lid after closing (being careful, of course, not to waste any of this terribly expensive wash) it still leaks a little bit, and the residue goes really sticky and nasty.

I love Kate Somerville products - and this actual product is great, I have no fault with the wash itself - but I'd rather see the packaging relaunched as a pump or bottle. Until then (and probably until the price for UK consumers drops a bit) I will not repurchase it.

on 6/6/2011 6:47:00 PM

An okay cleanser at a high price. Must use a make-up remover in addition to washing (even when using clarisonic) when wearing foundation (estee lauder or laura mercier tinted moisturizer), I don't think 16oz of this cleanser is worth $90+. In hindsight, I would spend my money on a better moisturizer and go much cheaper on the face wash.

on 4/8/2010 6:47:00 AM

I switched over to KS products about 6 weeks ago and love the line. I hat the Gentle Wash in the morning, love the smell and how it lathers up so nice! It really cleans my skin but doesn't dry me out. I wish it had a flip cap, though, since a bit of wash always comes out when you twist the cap closed.

on 11/28/2009 5:54:00 PM

This is a great cleanser.

Adore the scent. Gets the job done. Non-drying (but I have combo skin).

Was surprised by the negative reviews. Don't know what there is not to like, it's a pleasant smelling non-specialty cleanser . . . has no exotic claims or hyperbole, to my knowledge.

I give it only 4 lippies because unless a cleanser's doing something really unique and extraordinary, most are pretty much the same . . . they go down the drain in 2 minutes, with your dollars.

I don't begrudge an expensive product, but this is just a very nice cleanser . . . nothing more, nothing less.

Delightful product, no complaints. If you want to indulge in a nice cleanser, this is a good choice.