Kate Somerville Gentle Daily Wash

Filtered by age: 30-35
Kate Somerville Gentle Daily Wash

2.9

Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG/PPG-8/3 Diisostearate, Glycerin, Acrylates Copolymer, Silicone Quaternium-8, Saponins, Butylene Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Sodium Hydroxide, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Disodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Zinc PCA, Citric Acid, Limonene, Linalool.

Oh wow - this certainly isn't for sensitive skin - no way. The day before Valentines day, I used this for the first time and boy was that a mistake!

I feel like I have been badly burnt by the sun, the skin around my mouth is now dry and cracking, my neck is covered in what looks like a bad shaving rash together with pustules. It still stings, it is still red and swollen over a day and a half later! Even anti histamine hasn't dented this reaction. I have had reactions before to skin products but never like this. No fun for valentines date night at all because I can't put anything on my skin because of the discomfort.

I love Kate's goat cream but this is just a big no no for sensitive skin - so no, I don't recommend this for those with reactive skin at all!

on 12/10/2012 10:17:00 PM

Considering how difficult it is to find a good basic cleanser these days, I'm hesitant to criticize this one too much. This is a nice basic gel which removes makeup and sunblock really well but is drying in the winter. Not to the point of peeling skin but it definitely causes tightness. It has a nice lavender scent which relaxes me after work. The tube is inconvenient in the bathroom, but ironically travels better than a pump.

on 1/18/2012 12:38:00 PM

I would not recommend any of Kate Somerville's products. I've been a Proactiv user for about 10 years. I have sensitive, combination skin. Proactiv has been pretty good to me all these years, but I noticed I was getting little breakouts under my chin. That's when I decided to give Kate Somerville a try.

I bought the kit at first and noticed improvements in the first week. I then ordered more product. Within a few days, my face totally broke out on my nose, chin, forehead and cheeks. That has NEVER happened to me before when I used Proactiv. When I was on Proactiv, I would get the occasional break out on the chin, but not all over my face!

I do not recommend any of her products for sensitive skin. It's been 2-3 weeks, and I'm back on Proactiv. My nose, cheeks and forehead are getting better. My chin on the other hand, is still struggling. I think it's trying to get rid of all that Kate Somerville crap that's already in my system.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This is just an okay cleanser. It's pretty basic and not really something you want to use if you have dry skin, despite the gentle name. If it wasn't $32 it might be worth rebuying but for $20 you can get something better at Clarins or given how basic is it you might as well buy something at the drugstore for less than $10. I also hate the packaging, it has one of the tops the twists open and the product ends up leaking out making a mess.

I do like it - I really do - but it's so expensive. In the UK this wash retails at 33 (over US$52) as opposed to US$32 in the USA.

The wash itself is lovely - a pleasant amount of foam from a small squeeze, not drying and not over-scented. I use it with an Ole Henriksen Complexion Sponge, which I bought from Bath & Unwind.

The tube is another matter altogether. The "lid" twists to allow a small central channel to open, then you squeeze out the desired amount. The tube is designed to be stood on its "lid". The problem with this is that however much you carefully wipe the product away from the lid after closing (being careful, of course, not to waste any of this terribly expensive wash) it still leaks a little bit, and the residue goes really sticky and nasty.

I love Kate Somerville products - and this actual product is great, I have no fault with the wash itself - but I'd rather see the packaging relaunched as a pump or bottle. Until then (and probably until the price for UK consumers drops a bit) I will not repurchase it.

on 1/7/2011 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I had been using Philosophy's "Purity Made Simple" for about 4 years, and while I was very pleased with it and found it did a good job cleansing my skin, I think my skin eventually just got immune to it and just needed something different (if that's even possible). About two weeks ago I received a sample of this cleanser and decided to give it a try with my Clairisonic. WOW! I'm very impressed! I do have sensitive skin, and I don't think it dried me out at all. It left my skin feeling very soft and clean, and not at all tight. The scent is light and not offending at all. The twist top does dispense product way to quickly, and since this cleanser lathers so beautifully, you just don't need to use a lot (a little goes a long way). I'm also not sure if it's my imagination (or my improved diet) but I believe there has been a noticable improvement in the clairity of my skin and it's texture. It is rather costly, but I will continue to purchase for as long as it works for me. I would recommend this product for those with sensitive skin, but would suggest you go to your nearest Sephora's and sample it first. Or order it from QVC, where you can return it if you're not happy.

I'm a Dermalogica girl usually but recently I've seen quite a few mag articles etc about how great Kate Somerville products are and I fell for the "if Halle Berry uses it" theory and made my way over to the KS counter at Niemann Markus. The SA was nice enough to give me a lot of samples to try because the stuff is expensive. I used the gentle face wash 3 maybe 4 times and MAN was it a bad idea! The first time I used it, it stung my eyes (okay so not like Dermalogica's Ulta gentle sensitive skin wash at all) but it did a good job of removing make-up. It left my face a little 'tingly' which I thought was the lavender or whatever oil in the product. The next day I tried it again morning and evening BUT this time kept it out of my eyes. My skin felt a little 'raw' and the area around my lips felt a little sunburnt (weird for March in Virginia) so I stopped using it thinking it was over-drying my skin. A day later I woke up with the WORST case of hives / prickly heat that I have ever had! Seriously - fine little fluid filled bumps (look like small pimples) all around my nose, mouth, and eyebrows. My cheeks feel hot and prickly but no bumps. I had to take an anti-histamine and use hydrocortisone for two days to get rid of the rash. The only thing I changed in my routine was using this cleanser as I have sensitive skin and always introduce new products slowly. I have never had a reaction this bad or this aggressive to a cleanser before. Sensitive skin be warned! On top of this reaction, I also think $32 for 4 oz is a rip. Dermalogica costs the same but you get DOUBLE the amount of product in a leak-proof bottle. This will teach me to stray from Dermalogica!

on 7/10/2008 12:09:00 AM

This is a lovely, foamy-enough wash for any skin type but it has one major drawback: it doesn't remove makeup very well. That's typical of a gentler wash, somehow the best makeup removing washes are the most stripping (w/ one exception, good 'ol Neutrogena face wash). Kate says it's a "one stop shop" for cleansing but it's not true. It is still a very nice wash that I will enjoy using until it's done. I love her Purify wash and that's coming from someone w/ dry skin prone to redness. I mainly use the gentle wash for simple morning cleansing and for that it works great. I'll use it in the p.m. before the Purify, just to get off MOST of the makeup first. I wouldn't buy it again but it does leave your skin feeling soft, clean and kind of pampered. I love the rest of Kate's line, though.

on 6/7/2008 2:07:00 AM

I wish this wasn't so great for me because of the price but it is my new HG wash. My skin gets sensitized really easily by cleansers and I had switched to oil cleansers to keep my skin happy. I am really a sudsy detergent clean wash girl though so the KS was a great discovery. I have tried 15+ non-oil cleansers trying to find one I could use this every day without stripping my skin and get the bubbly clean I prefer. Gentle Daily wash ends the search. This might not be worth it for everyone at $32 but I will repurchase. Minor annoyance, I wish it had a flip top, mine leaks a little and at this price I don't want my bathroom counter to get any of it! EDIT - After a few months this made my skin look dull. Add that to the fact I had poor experiences with KS customer service twice now so I decided not to keep purchasing this.

Meh. It smelled good. It was gentle. It cleansed my skin...kind of. It's nothing special. I've used Mary Kay and thought cleansed my skin better. Heck, I've used Nutrogena and thought it worked just as well. It didn't do anything to really clean my pores, it just seemed like it wiped the surface. My overall thought on this product is that you can buy something equally effective at Wal-Mart. It's not a bad product, it's just no great. When you can get the same effect for $8.00, why would you pay more?