Cargo Lipstick

Cargo Lipstick

4.7

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have looked at these lipsticks I don't know how many times. I even swatched them before. And I don't know why, but all of the sudden, I have fallen in love with them!! Such flattering shades to start with. Fun shades, some bright shades, some natural shades, some more subdued shades, but all the shades I have so far are very flattering! Colors aside, what matter just as much (especially as a woman in her 40's with aging lips), is performance, formula, wear time, application, etc. For me, these get 5 stars/5 lippies on all counts!! These perform beautifully for me, lasting a good approximate 5 hours, some of the brighter shades then leave a flattering stain. But all of these, as they wear off, do not tun gummy or gunky nor funky colors.

They apply like butter and feel smooth, very comfortable to wear. Almost feels like a balm. And for me, a key factor is that they do not settle into my lip ines nor make my lips look dry and old. If anything, these make my lips looks supple and even "youthful" again.

I am not a fan of Cargo's packaging. I appreciate simple and clean lines, but to me, the design is too..looks too 'factory' for me, or feels kind of cheap, so I do kind of wish they had better packaging. But to me, packaging is strictly just personal preference. How a product looks once applied and how it wears and how it makes you feel is what matters. And all 5 shades I now have of these apply beautifully and easily, they all wear beautifully throughout the day and make my lips 'look pretty' and feel very comfortable, which in turn makes me feel very happy!!!

Can't believe I looked at these all these years and just kept passing them by!!
Will definitely repurchase. I am not one to get one of each shade from a lipstic collection, but I think this collection just might come close! IMHO, Cargo is such an underrated, not-talked-about-enough brand. Maybe if they had prettier packaging.. ;)

But seriously though, these are very nice lipsticks. Excellent pigmentation, true to color, nothing funny or funky feeling nor looking, they just wear very nicely, and really no scent that my sensitive nose detects.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

This is probably my favourite lipstick that I currently own. I have it in 'Majella' and got it in a goody bag from an event. It goes on really well and doesn't fade for ages. Will definitely repurchase it if I can find it!

on 4/14/2006 9:22:00 AM

I have noticed, sadly, that these are getting harder and harder to find. Sephoras are now carrying only a few colors, even online. That's a shame since Cargo's Cream lipstick formula is about the nicest I've ever used. It's light and leaves a creamy, moist look with a low-wattage shine. No gloss for me over these. The color never gathers into the vertical lines on my lips, never bleeds and isn't drying in the slightest. I don't notice any scent. I have Dalkeith (a pinky brown that's less plummy than MAC Twig or Nars Pigalle), Satori (warm berry-brown) and Dakota. This one is my favorite, a deep, warm rose. Some would call it a brick or a red-brown. It looks brown in the tube but shows up quite bright on me. At the same time, it's softer than the colors I have that I'd put into the red-brown family (like Nars Mongolian Red). I wear this when I'm feeling blah or my face just looks dull. It's an instant pick-up.
I always expect the tubes to come apart in my purse, but they never do, so they must be sturdier than they look. continued >>

Great brand of lipsticks, right at the top of my list. Packaging is minimalistic, which I love, although they can look a little dirty after several months inside a makeup bag - but you'll never notice until you buy a new Cargo lipstick and see them side by side. I find most lipsticks drying, and regardless of what brand (with the exception of Clinique's Buttershines), I always need a lipbalm prior to lipstick application. Cargo is no different, but it feels luxurious going on, without an obnoxious smell or taste. My favorites in the line are Plume (I can't even begin to describe the bronze-pink-peach-beige color, as it will undoubtedly look different on every face it touches), and Val D'Or (a drop dead gorgeous sparkling wine).

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I got the plant love botanical lipstick in yellowstone (a plummy mauve). I like the feel of the lipstick on my lips, not too heavy or shiny (i tend to dislike the glossier lipstick) medium creme/ matte finish. Adorable packaging I'm always worried the top will fall off, so I keep it in a tinier makeup bag in my purse. Really good for lipstick, no weird taste, medium staying ability. I recommend it.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Pros: ZOMG! Biodegradable! So, so pretty! Be patient with these lovelies. They need a little bit of time to really settle and "turn" on your lips. I'd say at least 5-10 minutes. I have Nahinni, Yakushima and Maria. More below.

Cons: None, aside from the fact that you'll have to really try these on and give them time to fall in love.

Maria: "Sheer poppy red cream" - I swipe this on over a nude liner by Fresh and let it settle into the most beautifully soft red natural lip ever. I am not exaggerating when I say the final effect is post-sex, post-Popsicle, post-eating-berries, post-workout all wrapped into one.

Nahinni: "Shimmering copper brown" - I put this on and I hate it, b/c it looks too brown, but I ignore it and check my lips in the rearview mirror on the way to work 20 minutes later and it's, of course, a lovely "my lips but better" shade.

Yakushima: "Sheer glimmering red" - More of a sheer glimmering tart pink on my lips, but still a fun and subtle pop of color. Would probs reach for Maria over this, but when I want a little touch of sass, this does fine!

on 5/5/2004 5:22:00 PM

I have cargo lippies in Memphis and Malibu. Great staying power and the colors look really nice on me (PPP blue eyes, black hair). I only wish they came in more colors!

on 4/16/2004 11:34:00 PM

In general, I HATE the lipstick feel, but I am in love w/ Cargo l/s. They feel light, but give great coverage. I have 2 so far: Val D'Or and Bangkok. Both are Frost (I think that's my favorite consistency in Cargo l/s). Very unusual, flattering colors. There is no discernible taste or smell. I also love that when I put English Ideas lip last over these my lips don't dry out. They work great together and I have a pulled together, but no fuss look.

on 2/26/2004 2:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I ordered Cargo's Bali lipstick at the same time as I ordered Cargo's The Big Easy blush. They go perfectly together. The Bali lipstick is creamy and color-rich. The color is difficult to describe. It is a peachy-rose color with a very slight shimmer. This is a perfect lipstick to wear anywhere at anytime. It is a classic.

on 6/17/2004 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really wanted to like this lipstick. The color I got, Bali, was a really good rosy brown lip shade (on the warm side). It had a nice texture.

But it smells bad. Really bad. I am used to using MAC lipsticks which have a pleasant vanilla smell, or lipsticks from companies that make fragrance-free lipsticks like Paula's Choice.

If the product didn't have an offensive odor, I would give it a high rating, but I couldn't stand the smell when I put it on, and had to give it away. An expensive mistake.