Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream

3.9

purified water, white petrolatum, sorbitol solution, cetearyl alcohol, propylene glycol, ceteareth-20, simethicone, glyceryl monostearate, polyethylene glycol monostearate, sorbic acid and BHT

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

For a gentle, affordable moisturizer, this is a good option. I used it on my face, and it didn’t irritate my sensitive skin or break it out. However, I found the texture a bit hard to work with. It’s rather difficult to spread, and it can feel uncomfortably matte and tacky once it sets. After awhile it absorbs, and the tackiness goes away, but it’s not a pleasant feeling while it lasts.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was hoping I could use this on my face but it broke me out. I'll still us it on my body after a shower though.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

So I bought this hoping for a nice thick occlusive cream that was more cosmetically elegant than CeraVe Healing Ointment - which I love, but is not appropriate for daytime wear unless I'm trying to look like I just ran 10 miles in the Amazonian rain forest. Unfortunately this cream is not that. It's very moisturizing, but it's not particularly occlusive and my skin definitely dehydrated while wearing it over the course of a day. Tragic. On the upside it didn't break me out, and will probably make a great night cream come summer. In the meantime I've been applying it to my wet (body) skin when I get out of the shower and it works really well to deeply moisturize my skin and any initial greasiness absorbs within... idk, like 30 to 45 minutes? It doesn't feel heavy on my skin so I don't really notice how long it takes to completely absorb until a little time goes by and I realize it's sunk in. Anyway, it keeps me from itching and flaking for a full 24 hours, which is the gold standard for me during this time of year. I love the simple effective ingredients and generous size jar w/ it's pump top. I'm looking forward to trying more Vanicream products now that I've gotten to that age where I care more about usefulness than skincare-tainment.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

So far so good - I've been using this for about a week and it doesn't seem to break out my skin (fingers crossed). I use it at night because I use a moisturizing sunscreen during the day. Was looking for a simple unscented moisturizer for the winter that isn't too heavy and doesn't make my skin break out. For some reason this is really difficult to find! Seems like it's calming my skin down after using products that didn't agree with my face. It does its job. Edit - added bonus - I really think I can credit this with being one of the best body moisturizers I've ever used as well. My skin, after applying this after a shower, isn't dry the next day as it usually is in the winter. My nails, which are usually brittle and chipping away, are NOT doing that for the first time in my life. It seems like my PIE has calmed down a lot too. I've used other creams but this stuff is the bomb. No breakouts to report yet either, after about a month of use!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This seemed like it would be the perfect product for me, but sadly this stuff is a nightmare for my skin: hives and irritation from the get go. This doesn't moisturize my skin at all either, it doesn't even work that well as an occlusive for me. It leaves my skin red and blotchy too, as it seems to tighten as it dries. I like the fact it's fragrance free but that's the only positive for me I'm afraid. Just goes to show that even the seemingly most sensitive skin friendly products should be patch tested!

The only moisturizer that comes near my eczema and sensitive skin. It is non-greasy, helps dry flaky skin, and doesn't irritate any further if you have an active eczema area. It absorbs quickly and lasts. I think this stuff is a must have for anyone with sensitive skin.

The pump style dispenser is great until the last 10% of the bottle. Then you have to unscrew the lid to get to a fair bit of product. That's frustrating. And of course it costs more than your typical jergens/Neutrogena/etc moisturizer. But that's a small price to pay not to have burning, irritated skin.

This is great for the body. It doesn’t break me out and prevents itch. It is also very soothing after a cool shower. I don’t like it for my face. It doesn’t cause breakouts, but it makes my skin feel sort of dry. Also it forms a thick layer on the skin which is very uncomfortable! It also isnt very moisturizing. I personally do not like thick creams these days bc they are just so uncomfortable and heat-Inducing. Also just bc it’s thick doesn’t mean it’s moisturizing. I am guessing the simethicone has to due with the heaviness and dry feeling. I do give credit to the fact that it’s ph balanced. Although I am complaining I wouldn’t change the formula because it’s dependable when it comes to preventing rashes, diaper rash, and severe acne. This cream would be good for a baby that’s itchy and uncomfortable or someone who has a sweating problem. If you have dry skin, AVOID!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sometimes you just want a super basic, super heavy cream with no active ingredients in it to give your skin an overnight rest. This one is pretty good. The texture is unappealing in a subtle way that I can't quite put my finger on (I don't think it's the tackiness, because I love Aquaphor and Nivea Creme, both of which practically turn my face into a lint roller), but the results are nice and it's easy to work with. I like the idea of the pump lid but in practice the lotion tends to get stuck in it. I like it more on my feet than I do on my face.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

This defenetively clogs my pores. I wake up with a lot of pore congestion when I use this versus when I use the Vanicream Light version, which I love and use nightly over a serum or toner.

It's interesting that both this cream version and the light version have the same ingredients, just in different concentrations, which results in two textures: a thicker cream and a watery lotion. And JUST that makes one not clog my pores at all (vanicream light) and the other clog them (cream version).

This is very good at preventing water loss. My skin doesn't feel dry at all with it on. I would reccomend to anyone not acne prone because it's a very simple, non irritating moisturizer withouth fragrance or any major irritants that you can layer over your serums with actives.

I took a lippie off because it's too heavy for my acne prone, oily skin and its meant for all skin types so.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Background on my skin: oily, rosacea/acne prone, sensitive.

As you'd expect, this is much more hydrating than the "lite" version.

Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream is a very low thrill moisturizer. It doesn't have any actives. It's not going to get rid of your wrinkles or acne. But I have separate potent products formulated for that job. I just needed a moisturizer that would play nicely with chemical exfoliation without causing my acne to explode. I really like the lite version - but I can understand why a lot of people found it not nearly hydrating enough. This version is definitely heavier. This doesn't cause my skin to feel suffocated though like some thicker formulas do. I can tell a difference in my moisture barrier. And my rosacea has yet to complain.

If you want to wear this during day time id suggest only applying a very small amount. It takes quite a while to dry down fully (if at all). I find it hard to wear under my sunscreen, so I only apply before bed. Even without it being worn during the day time I can feel and see a visible difference in the suppleness of my skin.