Denman Grooming Brush

No Image

4.8

on 9/5/2016 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I own the D81M in boar and nylon mix and it's my favourite dry hair brush!
I fell in love with Denman after buying, on super sale, the Head Hugger in size Extra Large, which is the biggest styling brush I've ever seen, as big as a 10 years old forearm. Not kidding. It's kind of scary and the first handful of times using it I seriously risked to injury my own head. But then I managed to learn how to use it and had the hair of my life.
So, after having a positive impact with the brand, I went for a grooming brush. I always wanted a boar bristled brush but oh how they are expensive! The smallest I've ever found in town was like 25 euros which is too much for me. Such prices are ok only for salons imho. So I looked at Denman's website but still, they were around 20-25 euros. Luckily about a month or two ago the brand went on sale on Italian Amazon so I had to grab it! And got it for like 6,50 euros.
It came in a box (I always bought random drugstore brushes, the one that just hang without a box or anything) which made a good impact, with a hole in the middle to feel the bristles with your fingers. They have this taller spike in nylon in the middle of each group of boar bristles whose function is not really clear to me but whatever. It also came with an information paper about the brand and the brush itself sat in a plastic box. Very professional and clean. Oh and the box was sealed which is something you wouldn't expect in a brush.
The item looks kind of vintage, like the old products you find on your grandma's bathroom shelves. Fits wonderfully in my time-capsule 70s psychedelic bathroom :)
It works fine. The strikes are almost totally smooth and not painful at all. It is very light yet quite sturdy, and will surely last many years. The only con is that its detangling properties are not the best, as I honestly expected from boar bristles. Surely it's softer than any other wooden or plastic brush, which suits my scapulas lenght. It is very easy to clean as you can "comb" the red part with your fingers and thanks to the flexible bristles, you can immediately pick every single hair. Overall, this is a high quality item, made in UK, and made to last.
Apparently the red part is detachable to be cleaned but I didn't try yet.
Recommended!

on 9/2/2013 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I just really love Denman brushes. Also have a styling brush, which I've been using for 10 years now, so when I was in the UK a few weeks ago I decided to buy a grooming brush as well. I have a boar & nylon mixed brush inMedium (D81M), which is perfect for me as I have very long & thick hair. It smoothes my hair, it redistributes the natural oils to the ends, it even keeps me from having to wash my hair for an extra day or so. It's just love, love, LOVE!!!
EDIT: I have bought an extra, the small one (D81S) for in my bag. That's how much I love it!

EDIT...Update :
Denman D81 Grooming brush Review :
I absolutely loved this brush. Brushing my hair isnt a painful task anymore !!! yayy ! I've been using plastic hair brush my entire life so you can imgaine how this has taken me by surprise.

Also this made my hair a lot more healthy, less frizzy over the days. It distributes natural oils of the hair root to tip - so my hair looks a lot more healthy

This is a mixed nylon-boar bristle brush. The nylon bristle helps penetrate the hair, while the boar bristles tame my hair. I am told this is the best brush if you have thick, coarse hair. Boar bristles alone cant penetrate well if you have thick hair.

It is great for heat styling. I kinda run my little test- One side I blowdryed using my nylon bristle round brush and the opposite side I blow dryed using denman brush.

On the side I used nylon bristle one - good volume, a bit frizzy, a bit coarser to touch. Looked dry too.

On the side I used my denman - no volume (not a round brush,so), smooth to touch and super sleek !!

I am falling in love with all of these brushes :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I own one denman and I put an order for other one , I wanted to review both of these at once but I cant contain my excitement lol. I am soo impressed by the one I used so far.

The denman grooming brush that I used was :

Denman D91 Dressing Out Brush :
I am looking for a good quality teasing brush and we dont have sallys beauty supply in India so I was looking for boar bristle teasing brush. When I found this at local store it seemed identical- it essentially had the same design - three rows but 'Nylon' bristles. I couldn't seemed find a boar bristle brush so I ended up getting this. Plus it looked pretty in the purple color. So i got this for $4.99.

For Teasing - excellent,period. I mean I used to tease with my ordinary rat tail comb and I lose volume after 1 hour but with this one , the volume stayed out the entire evening.

For Taming Baby hair and flyaways - This part of it just blew me away. I have a lot of baby hairs - a lot of them really. I used the hairspray + toothbrush thing but that just felt icky and my scalp became oily very soon :(
This brush is awesome for taming the flyaways. I didnt even need hairspray. I just smooth out my baby hairs with this brush and they stay put. Without hairspray, it helps taming my baby hair for like a couple of hours. I think it would probably hold much longer if I used a hair spray.

I am so impressed with the quality that I ordered another brush from the same lime . Denman D81. I'll post a review as soon as it arrives.

on 10/7/2012 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I bought the Denman with 100% natural boar's bristle. I love this brush. It makes my hair so soft and shiny. It feels great on my scalp and brings the natural oils to the ends of my hair. I have a round 100% boar's bristle for styling, and these brushes have made such a difference that I won't use anything else.

My hair is long, fine, thick & wavy. I understand it doesn't work as well for coarse hair.

on 2/27/2012 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

My hair gets tangled easily because I am trying to grow it out. It is the longest it has ever been! My Rusk paddle brush was just pulling out my hair and the knots and I ended up losing more hair than I was growing it. I heard that boar bristle hair brushes are the best for hair and the ones with nylons quills are the best for my hair type (thick, wavy and frizzy). I was trying to debate on whether to fork out $200 for a Mason Pearson or $20 for a Denman. I ended up picking the Denman and figured if I liked it enough, I could get a Mason Pearson later on. This brush was only $20 at Peninsula Beauty. The only size they had was the medium which is good for my hair but I think the large size would have had a bigger handle, which is what I originally wanted. This brush is great! It made my hair very static-y at first but now it seems to have gotten used to it. It detangles my hair very easily and I feel like I can actually groom my hair now. This Denman brush is only for grooming and not really styling but I don't really style my hair anyways so it works for me. The boar bristles are supposed to help distribute the natural oils in your hair to the ends and help promote shine. I have noticed my hair does seem to look healthier but I really just love how easily this brush glides through my hair especially when it's tangled! A very good and cheaper alternative for a Mason Pearson!

Popular Hair Styling Tools