Denman Grooming Brush

No Image

4.7

on 9/5/2016 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I own the D81M in boar and nylon mix and it's my favourite dry hair brush!
I fell in love with Denman after buying, on super sale, the Head Hugger in size Extra Large, which is the biggest styling brush I've ever seen, as big as a 10 years old forearm. Not kidding. It's kind of scary and the first handful of times using it I seriously risked to injury my own head. But then I managed to learn how to use it and had the hair of my life.
So, after having a positive impact with the brand, I went for a grooming brush. I always wanted a boar bristled brush but oh how they are expensive! The smallest I've ever found in town was like 25 euros which is too much for me. Such prices are ok only for salons imho. So I looked at Denman's website but still, they were around 20-25 euros. Luckily about a month or two ago the brand went on sale on Italian Amazon so I had to grab it! And got it for like 6,50 euros.
It came in a box (I always bought random drugstore brushes, the one that just hang without a box or anything) which made a good impact, with a hole in the middle to feel the bristles with your fingers. They have this taller spike in nylon in the middle of each group of boar bristles whose function is not really clear to me but whatever. It also came with an information paper about the brand and the brush itself sat in a plastic box. Very professional and clean. Oh and the box was sealed which is something you wouldn't expect in a brush.
The item looks kind of vintage, like the old products you find on your grandma's bathroom shelves. Fits wonderfully in my time-capsule 70s psychedelic bathroom :)
It works fine. The strikes are almost totally smooth and not painful at all. It is very light yet quite sturdy, and will surely last many years. The only con is that its detangling properties are not the best, as I honestly expected from boar bristles. Surely it's softer than any other wooden or plastic brush, which suits my scapulas lenght. It is very easy to clean as you can "comb" the red part with your fingers and thanks to the flexible bristles, you can immediately pick every single hair. Overall, this is a high quality item, made in UK, and made to last.
Apparently the red part is detachable to be cleaned but I didn't try yet.
Recommended!

on 8/30/2013 12:13:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love my Denman brush. I have the large, natural bristle brush.

I purchased the brush in 2000, so it's 13 years old and only just starting to show any wear and tear. Some of the rubber cushion pad holding the bristles are started to perish, and some of the bristles are coming loose. But after 13 years of brushing hair it's done pretty well.

I like how the brush feels on my scalp, and how it's quite gentle on my hair.

I wash my brush with warm water, an old toothbrush and some shampoo. It's possibly not the best way to clean it, but it's been fine so far.

If I lost this brush I would certainly get another, especially since the price of Denman brushes has come down over the years. When I bought my brush it was $70NZD. Rather expensive really, but they are much cheaper now.

Amazing! Love this brush. I have fine thin hair which gets very messy. I'd been using all kinds of products to achieve sleek glossy hair but this brush has literally done more than all the others things combined. After I brush my hair it feels so smooth and looks shiny. Compared to a Mason Pearson brush, this is a steal and isn't much more expensive than other brushes. I would definitely recommend that people spend a little bit more and buy this brush!

on 9/17/2010 10:22:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

ok. i don't even know where to begin b/c i'm overwhelmed with how great this brush styles my hair. i took a chance and purchased (although a bit pricey) due to the rave reviews, and it smooths my hair like a dream. the boar bristles seem to be perfect for getting down to my scalp and really giving me a massage while detangling. i couldn't ask for more and would buy again despite the price tag.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Great boar bristle brush! It really helps distribute hair oils better than the goody brush i was using before. I have super thick hair and this really seems to get right down to my scalp. As far as price goes i paid $25 canadian for it which isnt bad considering a mason pearson is like $100+....

on 11/2/2009 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I have the paddle brush. At first, it looks like a completely non-descript plastic brush that one would find in any drugstore. However, this brush is surprisingly different from any one I've ever used before.: it detangles very well without snagging and gives a GREAT scalp massage! I was using the Sonia Kashuk nylon/boar brush from Target for the past year, and, while I liked it, it didn't detangle as well as this one - and my hair isn't even particularly coarse and isn't curly! The Denman is fast, efficient, and leaves my hair with less static than other brushes I've used in the past.

I can't believe no one has reviewed Denman brushes! Perhaps it is because these are brushes are considered to be for short hair exclusively. I've seen them listed on numerous occasions in hair magazines and my hairstylist has a blow dry technique named after them.

MATERIAL: Natural Boar Bristle

USE ACCORDING TO LABEL: "Ideal for smoothing and grooming. Suitable for all types of short hair. Air-cushioned rubber pad for gentle control. Ergonomic handle design. Resistent to heat and chemicals."

PRICE:$15

IMPRESSIONS: Soft yet suple, very good for distributing oils without irritating the scalp or ripping hairs. Although I have not owned it long enough to say from experience, I happen to know from word of mouth that these brushes are durable so I don't anticipate having to buy one again, although I gladly would. continued >>

Popular Hair Styling Tools