Denman Grooming Brush

No Image

4.7

on 9/5/2016 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I own the D81M in boar and nylon mix and it's my favourite dry hair brush!
I fell in love with Denman after buying, on super sale, the Head Hugger in size Extra Large, which is the biggest styling brush I've ever seen, as big as a 10 years old forearm. Not kidding. It's kind of scary and the first handful of times using it I seriously risked to injury my own head. But then I managed to learn how to use it and had the hair of my life.
So, after having a positive impact with the brand, I went for a grooming brush. I always wanted a boar bristled brush but oh how they are expensive! The smallest I've ever found in town was like 25 euros which is too much for me. Such prices are ok only for salons imho. So I looked at Denman's website but still, they were around 20-25 euros. Luckily about a month or two ago the brand went on sale on Italian Amazon so I had to grab it! And got it for like 6,50 euros.
It came in a box (I always bought random drugstore brushes, the one that just hang without a box or anything) which made a good impact, with a hole in the middle to feel the bristles with your fingers. They have this taller spike in nylon in the middle of each group of boar bristles whose function is not really clear to me but whatever. It also came with an information paper about the brand and the brush itself sat in a plastic box. Very professional and clean. Oh and the box was sealed which is something you wouldn't expect in a brush.
The item looks kind of vintage, like the old products you find on your grandma's bathroom shelves. Fits wonderfully in my time-capsule 70s psychedelic bathroom :)
It works fine. The strikes are almost totally smooth and not painful at all. It is very light yet quite sturdy, and will surely last many years. The only con is that its detangling properties are not the best, as I honestly expected from boar bristles. Surely it's softer than any other wooden or plastic brush, which suits my scapulas lenght. It is very easy to clean as you can "comb" the red part with your fingers and thanks to the flexible bristles, you can immediately pick every single hair. Overall, this is a high quality item, made in UK, and made to last.
Apparently the red part is detachable to be cleaned but I didn't try yet.
Recommended!

on 4/4/2015 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Brilliant grooming brush, excellent for back combing too. Not so great at detangling, but it is a grooming brush after all. I have the large and small handbag size. Compared to my Mason Pearson it almost performs as well, but doesn't have that luxurious feel. It is quite bulky & isn't heat resistant.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My hair is fine and breaks easily so brushing with this keeps it from breaking off as much. Definitely recommended for anyone with hair that breaks easily!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this brush! I own the small sized brush so that I can keep it in my purse if I need it. It helps lay down some of the baby hairs I have around my hair line and feels great against my scalp. It helps distribute natural oils through my hair and doesn't snag. It can also be used to detangle or distribute light leave-ins. It is a sturdy brush and with proper care, can last a long time. I spent about 16.99 plus taxes on mine at a local beauty supply but I am sure you can find it a little bit cheaper in other places like Sally's. The bigger brush is a couple of bucks more. Highly recommended.

on 6/2/2012 11:46:00 PM

so i'm a hairstylist that LOVES his tools and gadgets. seriously, i want to try everything! i'm also a stylist that believes in only using the best tools. best DOES not mean the most expensive.

after cosmetology school, i moved on to a big fancy salon apprenticeship, and they required us to buy a $200 blow dryer and a bunch of different round brushes which were ~$40 a piece, then finally, a Mason Pearson Brush, which if you know about them they are $170 ...

we also sold all these brushes and tools, and the idea behind it was that the clients need to know how expensive these items are and they will equate them with being the best. also, they can buy them so they can *think* they could get a blowout/style as good as when we did them.

bottom line, you can do anything with any kind of brush if you know what you're doing. that being said, i love the Denman Grooming Brush. i've used many, many smoothing type brushes that look like it from the Mason Pearson to $60 variants (there's a Japanese brand called Y.S. Park known for having THE best tools in the industry) to the Sonia Kashuk and the Denman Grooming brush works just as good if not better than others. actually, better than all of the ones i just listed.

i had a Mason Pearson and my biggest gripe was that you couldn't use it to blow out hair straight, bc the brush wasn't resistant to the heat of my blow dryer. it basically melted into this sad warped piece of crap ... enter the Denman Grooming Brush. not only can the Denman withstand the heat, but it also has more boar bristles surrounding the nylon pins, thus giving you more smoothing ability. the more bristles the hair has to go through, the more stretch you can get out of the hair thus getting a smoother, frizzless blowout. the other thing is that the nylon pins on my Denman are a bit longer so you get better "grip" as you're brushing.

that being said, get this ... my Denman costs me less than $20 on folica.com

i've gone through 2 Denmans in maybe 5 years as a hairstylist. i killed my Mason Pearson in the first 5 months. let's do a cost analysis here ...

so there you go, a hairstylists view of the Denman Grooming Brush. continued >>

on 2/27/2012 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

My hair gets tangled easily because I am trying to grow it out. It is the longest it has ever been! My Rusk paddle brush was just pulling out my hair and the knots and I ended up losing more hair than I was growing it. I heard that boar bristle hair brushes are the best for hair and the ones with nylons quills are the best for my hair type (thick, wavy and frizzy). I was trying to debate on whether to fork out $200 for a Mason Pearson or $20 for a Denman. I ended up picking the Denman and figured if I liked it enough, I could get a Mason Pearson later on. This brush was only $20 at Peninsula Beauty. The only size they had was the medium which is good for my hair but I think the large size would have had a bigger handle, which is what I originally wanted. This brush is great! It made my hair very static-y at first but now it seems to have gotten used to it. It detangles my hair very easily and I feel like I can actually groom my hair now. This Denman brush is only for grooming and not really styling but I don't really style my hair anyways so it works for me. The boar bristles are supposed to help distribute the natural oils in your hair to the ends and help promote shine. I have noticed my hair does seem to look healthier but I really just love how easily this brush glides through my hair especially when it's tangled! A very good and cheaper alternative for a Mason Pearson!

on 9/17/2010 10:22:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

ok. i don't even know where to begin b/c i'm overwhelmed with how great this brush styles my hair. i took a chance and purchased (although a bit pricey) due to the rave reviews, and it smooths my hair like a dream. the boar bristles seem to be perfect for getting down to my scalp and really giving me a massage while detangling. i couldn't ask for more and would buy again despite the price tag.

on 11/2/2009 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I have the paddle brush. At first, it looks like a completely non-descript plastic brush that one would find in any drugstore. However, this brush is surprisingly different from any one I've ever used before.: it detangles very well without snagging and gives a GREAT scalp massage! I was using the Sonia Kashuk nylon/boar brush from Target for the past year, and, while I liked it, it didn't detangle as well as this one - and my hair isn't even particularly coarse and isn't curly! The Denman is fast, efficient, and leaves my hair with less static than other brushes I've used in the past.

on 5/6/2008 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

i just now heard about these brushes and I went to my local sally's to pick one up. I got the "D3" because it was the only one available. This is hands down, the best tool I have found to detangle my hair in the shower. I just bought it yesterday and I was able to comb through my super thick/curly hair both wet and dry. it was such a pleasurable experience, I kept brushing it just for the mere fact that it didn't hurt my head. Usually, I comb in the shower w/ a wide tooth comb, with tons of conditioner in my hair. I always wake w/ a sore scalp the next day because of all the tugging and pulling i have to do. Not this morning! What a surprise. Us three that have reviewed this product, now have to go out and tell all our friends!

Popular Hair Styling Tools