Desert Essence Vanilla Chai Hand and Body Lotion

Desert Essence Vanilla Chai Hand and Body Lotion

Not tested on animals

Water (aqua), vanilla planifolia fruit extract*, camellia oleifera leaf extract (black tea)*, camellia sinensis leaf extract (green tea)*, eugenia caryophyllus (clove) flower extract*, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil*, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, glycerin, stearic acid (vegetable derived), glyceryl stearate SE (plant derived), copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax*, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter*, magnesium aluminum silicate (mineral), xanthan gum, benzyl alcohol (plant derived), potassium sorbate (fruit derived), dehydroacetic acid, natural fragrance (parfum). *Certified Organic

on 10/14/2015 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I'm an addict for anything that smells like vanilla, so I bought this without test driving it first (my mistake). So the good news is that for those of you who love this smell, the smell lasts for a very long time. A few weeks ago my legs were very dry so I applied this and I could smell the lotion on my legs for the remainder of the day, so it's got some legit staying power. The trouble is the smell is more of a cola than a vanilla chai, not quite what I wanted. If I apply too much the smell becomes a little overpowering and sickening, and at one point I had to wash it off. It also doesn't moisturize very well, my skin gets much better hydration from a million different drugstore brands than it does from this. Disappointed.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

LOVE, this lotion! it smells just like what the name says, Vanilla chai. Very sweet and perfect for people who Love the foodie type smell's. Only wished the sent lasted a little longer. doesn't seem to last all day. and it is a little on the runny side, and the moisturizing properties are moderate. However i would still buy this again, mainly because of the smell...its just so authentic!. no weird plasticky ,burnt,or funky smells that most foodie scent have. plus it is organic, natural, and has real vanilla and tea! no artificial fragrances. The only people most likely to hate this are ones who aren't particularly into sweet foodie scents.this would be a floral or musk lovers nightmare. so if you tend to lean towards these types of scents, this would not be the product for you.

Edit: they changed the formula so it is no longer runny, which is a good thing ^^

To Read all 29 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/2/2014 4:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

As most reviewers have already said the scent is AMAZING! If you love foodie chai smells and flavours you will love this... you will seriously smell like a warm chai drink perfect for those rainy days. Its a light texture that sinks into the skin relatively quickly and smell lingers so I love that but if you are adverse to fragrance give this a miss. I love that it doesn't have any nasty chemicals in it and it is so cheap from iherb!

The smell is infectious. It goes on nicely and absorbs quickly. You don't feel oily for hours like most lotions. But, beware, it will stain light garments!

on 6/3/2013 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I find this lotion to be moisturizing, fairly fast-absorbing, non-irritating, and non-greasy, and I suffer from really dry skin, including patches of eczema. I wouldn't recommend this particular lotion to people who are super-sensitive to strong scents, however. While the spicy vanilla chai scent is delicious, it's even a bit too much for me as it does linger for quite awhile. I love the creamy formula though, and I'd go with Desert Essence's lotion in a different scent or perhaps the unscented version. The lack of artificial fragrances/colors, parabens, and SLS are a huge plus.

on 2/28/2013 5:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I LOVE this body lotion. It smells like a chai latte, and is a bit strong on application but it does fade rather quickly.
I am allergic to a lot of fragrance/chemicals in body products but I haven't had one problem with this.
I usually get either clogs or dry patches with most lotions and this stuff has made my skin very happy and healthy.
It is my new favorite.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

This has a really strong scent and I barely smell the vanilla, but a lot more of the chai. But that aside, it moisturizes pretty well. I use it on my hands at home to keep my hands from getting too dry.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

One word, YUM! Yes it does smell like its name. I am a huge fan of delicious smelling body lotions and this one is defiantly in my top 5! All around a great lotion, natural, moisturizing (not oily or waxy) and smells good enough to eat! When I say it smells good enough to eat I mean it, it doesn’t have that sickening artificial scent but smells like the real deal!

SIDE NOTE~ Doing some research on this product i have found out it has been reformulated and the new name of this product is Spicy Chai Hand and Body Lotion with a new ingredients list. My review is done on the original product.

New ingredient list.
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe Vera) Juice*, Camellia Sinensis (Black Tea) Leaf Extract*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, SD Alcohol 38-B*, Glycerin (Palm), Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Jojoba Esters, Stearic Acid (Coconut), Cetyl Alcohol (Coconut), Leuconostoc Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Natural Fragrance/Flavor (Parfum/Aroma), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract*, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Eugenia Caryophyllata (Clovebud) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Phytate, Water (Aqua) * Certified Organic

Nice scent, but too light moisturizing. It's good in the summer.
Would be perfect with more emollient factors.

I love this! I'm a big fan of chai tea and Desert Essence in general, and once I saw this I had to give it a try. I originally was looking for a intensive-but-natural lotion to put on my absurdly dry feet (I think it might be some kind of dermatitis), and although this isn't *quite* moisturizing enough to solve that issue, I fell in love anyway. I get dry cuticles and hands during the winter (I live in the lovely PNW) and this is helping me stave it off. Not to mention, the scent reminds me of cuddling with my sweetie with a warm cup of chai in front of a fire, and after a while wears off to a slightly sweet, spicy alluring smell... it's hard to describe, but if DE puts out a perfume that smells like this too I'm buying 10. It's feminine without being girly, and a comforting, warming vanilla smell without being nauseatingly sweet or overwhelmingly foody.