Chanel Mascara Base

Chanel Mascara Base

3.2

on 2/4/2017 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am not sure as to whether it adds length or volume, but it does some job keeping my mascara in place. Without, almost every mascara smudges on me (and I refuse using waterproofs, cause I do not want to ruin my lashes).

However, it does nothing to enhance the look of my lashes-I even think they look better without this mascara base (even the mascara's that are my favs are not so great when applied on top of the Chanel's base).

Not worth the money.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is something I was missing from my routine. I apply it & let it dry then put on Volum de Chanel Waterproof & BOOM SHACKA LACKA LACKA!! Curl & volume! I will repurchase as I love all things Chanel also so that doesn't hurt ;-) I made my review as unsubjective as possible thou.

on 10/26/2016 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is the worst lash conditioning mascara base ever! The SA said this is the top selling product and it really does wonders for your lashes and makes applying mascara a breeze blah blah blah. SO UTTERLY BS! This does absolutely NOTHING for my lashes and everytime it scratches / pokes my eyes (and no i'm not an imbecile because i've been applying mascara for the life of me and know how to apply one!). This makes applying my mascara a pain in the neck plus i don't get my desired results! This is going in the garbage as it's a total waste of money!

Ladies, try the MAC lash conditioning base instead! It gives volume and holds curl blah blah blah FOR SURE! I LOVE THAT ONE!

on 10/20/2016 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I branched out from my usual Shiseido mascara base to try this, and while I do think it has better fortifying/nourishing properties than the Shiseido, it dried up so quickly in the tube and became tacky and thick after a few weeks that it became difficult to use, so I returned it. It would clump on my lashes like Elmer's glue, so I absolutely had to detangle it with a clean mascara spoolie in between applying primer and mascara. Also, the white color of the base would sometimes be difficult to cover completely with mascara, and I don't have that problem with the Shisiedo, which is more of a clear/grey tint. It worked wonderfully with all the mascaras I paired it with (Chanel Le Volume regular and waterproof, YSL faux cils, Maybelline Full & Soft waterproof, Hourglass Film Noir), I just wish it didn't get to stringy and difficult to use after a few weeks, especially at this price point ($32.00).

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm not one to use a primer on my lashes before mascara. I purchased this because of the nourishing effect it claims to have on your lashes. The one thing I was very skeptical about was that I would not have to use an eyelash curler. I always use an eyelash curler and besides my intention was to use this product as a night treatment. Well, I am shocked to see when I apply it at night, it instantly curls my lashes!!! Not an easy task since my lashes are poker straight. I do feel it is during all that it claims to do. I'm now going to use it as my base before I apply my mascara which is of course the Chanel Volume Mascara which is the best on the planet!

on 8/26/2014 10:38:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I really have to thank this Chanel Beauté Des Cils for making my pathetic puny lashes into va va voooom lashes!! I was weary trying this, but was convinced by the Chanel beauty consultant that this was an excellent product coupled with Chanel Inimitable Volume Length & Curl Mascara. I had, for years, convinced myself that I didn't have to pay high prices for mascara, and that the chemist versions, for example...Maybelline's massive range of Mascaras (Le Grand Curl, being one of them-before they discontinued it!) and other mascaras would do the same as any "top notch" brand could. I realised one day that the best I could get from the chemist range would mean I was applying it over 30 times per eye just to get a reasonable result. This was insane ....and time consuming! I had a sample of a Chanel mascara and thought ok let's give this a whirl. OMG literally 2 sweeps of the brush and my lashes looked amazing! So this spurred me on to get down to Chanel and see what they had to offer. (The sample I had wasn't waterproof, and I have really runny eyes so its imperative that my mascaras are at least water resistant) After using the Chanel Beauté Des Cils for over 6 months now as a base coat underneath a few different Mascaras (Chanel & Dior) I have really noticed how long my lashes have become! I'm not sure if the product is supposed to do this but the length has really improved that even without mascara they look long!! Yes it's expensive but it lasts a good while. I've bought 2 in 6 months. And for the results it's worth it!

Not sure why the Chanel mascara base is not so popular on MUA... I decided on a whim to purchase it when I got a new tube of the Inimitable Intense mascara, and I really like it.

About my lashes: Thin, short, straight, puny. I don't have much going for them, so I am always on the hunt for a good mascara.

About this base: It comes in a similar tube to Inimitable/Inimitable Intense, and the brush is similar (plastic bristles.) It goes on white, but dries clear.

I've been using it for about a week, and noticed that my lashes feel much softer at night after I remove my makeup, so I decided last night to apply it before bed, too. (I'm always wary to do this, because the Dior primer says you should/can apply before bed, too, but it flaked into my eyes.) I woke up without any eye irritation, and my lashes felt so soft.

For those of you who are complaining about this base taking the curl away... make sure you coat both the top and the bottom of your lashes. I usually close my eyes first and coat the backs of the lashes, then open my eyes and coat the fronts. Doing this seems to really help with the curl.

Also, this is not like those traditional fiber extending mascara bases. it does add a bit of length, but I think the main purpose is to nourish the lashes and help keep the mascara on the lashes. Just keep that in mind when trying.

Overall, very pleased with this mascara base, and will definitely repurchase. continued >>

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I typically don't use lash primers. However, I was so impressed with Chanel's Inimitable Intense mascara, I decided to buy the lash primer to see if it would make the look even better. Unfortunately, it really didn't do enough to warrant the price. It helps the mascara glide on more easily and keeps it from flaking, but I don't notice an increase in length or volume when using the base. Overall, it's not something that I'll buy in the future. From my experience, Dior's got the best mascara base on the market, but even that isn't worth its high price tag. Not a product I recommend.

on 10/8/2012 11:21:00 PM

I'm currently on my second tube of this (suffice to say, I love it.)

My initial reaction was merely one of "Oh, is it all?" because I was trying out a new mascara simultaneously and didn't really notice that much of a difference. I used it for a week or so and then decided to just give it a rest and put mascara straight on my eyelashes. I could tell SUCH a difference! My lashes looked much thinner and the mascara didn't seem to go on as smoothly. Needless to say, I kept up with this mascara base from then onwards.

One side effect that I've been noticing, and this is actually both a blessing and a curse really, is I am very aware that since I've started using this, I've been growing eyelashes like crazy! As in, even in places where I feel like I've never grown them before (like right above and right below my normal lash line.) These lashes are long and think, but they grow in layers and I've had one or two that seem to grow in kind of a wonky direction.

Judging from the rest of the responses I may be overly sensitive to their growth formula or I'm just using it more often (I never use mascara without this, and I have use it overnight several times.) Either way, being such a fan of big lashes, I'm loving this stuff. The big big big downside of my life? Having thick, layered lashes that are totally blonde!! I feel like I never get every single one of them coated with mascara. Anyway, that end part was just my little rant. I do think this is a fabulous product! I took off one lippie just because I've never tried any others, but given the success of this one, I don't think I will be.

on 8/20/2012 5:16:00 PM

Pretty expensive for a mascara base that completely kills the curl. I initially went to the store to check out Lancome mascara bases, but was dragged to the Chanel counter, and guess what.. I will probably never try Chanel mascaras either.

My application: curl lash, apply base.. wait for 5 minutes until it dries, curl again (base comes off), repeat...

Popular Mascaras