La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15

La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15

3.9

PPD: 10.5 Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (2%); Ecamsule (2%); Octocrylene (10%). Inactive Ingredients: Carbomer 940, Carbomer Copolymer Type B, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Edetate Disodium, Glycerin, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Isopropyl Palmitate, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Glycol, PropylPARABEN, Purified Water, Stearic Acid, Stearoyl Macrogolglycerides, Stearyl Alcohol, Trolamine.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This review is for the U.S. version.
I tried this like 10-12 years ago and didn’t like it then, I remember it smelling very strongly of chemical and it sat on top of my skin looking extremely shiny and my attempts at correcting this with makeup made it unpleasant to use.
Recently I tried the Anthelios AOX serum and because I think it is such a nice product, I considered retrying the SX daily spf 15. I also have been looking up ecamsule (branded Mexoryl) and studies show it to be a highly effective and beneficial sunscreen ingredient, yet a rare one in the U.S. market because of the FDA and their impossible standards on sunscreen ingredients.
I’ve shunned chemical sunscreen ingredients for years (they burned like crazy) and although physical sunscreen ingredients have improved, they are simply too drying. To compensate, I had been either applying several types of moisturizer (which can be tricky because sometimes it pills up) or I use a face oil (which sometimes makes makeup oxidize or slide around). It’s hit or miss, and I am my own worst culprit because I don’t stick to the same routine every day.
When applied on my bare face, it is just enough hydration to make my otherwise dry skin feel comfortable. I haven’t been experiencing any of the burning I used to get many years ago when I used chemical sunscreens, I think I had a compromised skin barrier for many years & didn’t correct it until I started being very particular about what I use for skincare. I haven’t been experiencing any of the issues other reviewers mentioned with it interfering with the wear of my foundation, but again my skin is dry and I have never experienced any issues with foundations shifting or lifting.
I give it one star off because there are no beneficial ingredients in this face lotion, just emollients, humectants and preservatives acting as a carrier base for the sunscreen ingredients. I have been layering it over the AOX serum and the two have been working quite well under my foundation and bb cream. I am not 100% convinced on repurchasing it as I am already seeking out internet/mail order sources to find a non U.S. version of Anthelios XL that at least has some Tocopherol and other beneficials in it.

on 8/27/2017 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Good, thick barrier daily moisturizer for mature/dryish skins. I have dry/mature combo skin and in hot,humid weather, this would slide off my face. I used it alone and under makeup, better alone (kind of sticky, tacky dry down) Better for winter/dry climates. But it penetrates and didn't break me out. LRP is a really good DS brand.

I love this moisturizer/sunscreen. It has a great texture that leaves my skin feeling hydrated and smooth.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I've got dry skin, and I've been looking for a moisturizing daily sunscreen product that's more accessible than Elta MD or Paula's Choice. I've been trying this out for about a month now; I can't even wear it with my foundation (Nars All Day Luminous or Hera's UV Moist topped with powder). I noticed my foundation doesn't last and almost instantly looks "separated", regardless of powder.
This stuff just seems to turn my face into a greasy mess, and even after waiting 30 mins I still feel it sitting on top of my skin. :(

My sensitive, acne-prone, combination skin is not a fan. Not only does this break me out every time I decide to give it another go, but it makes my foundation (Estée Lauder Double Wear) look oily and patchy. This also made my eyes sting. My life became so much easier the day I decided to ditch my European sunscreens and move onto Japanese brands (Bioré).

on 11/2/2014 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The best!! I have tried a lot of high-end dermatological moisturizers and sunscreens. I even formulate my own moisturizers. Nothing beats this product. I very much appreciate that it is a moisturizer and suncreen in one, and that the SX sunscreen provides such great UVA protection. I am the type of girl who does not like having a lot of product on my face as it can feel heavy and just plain gross. Also, I hate complicated skincare routines that involve sooo many procedures and products, so I embrace anything that will distill my daily routine. This does it for me. Right as I get out of the shower, I spritz some of my antioxidant toner with glycerin all over my face and apply this moisturizer. Bam! Done, and out the door in a flash.

on 9/30/2014 6:44:00 PM

Oh boy, this is the best moisturizer! A dermatologist prescribed it for me. I am 72 and both my husband and I use it daily. I apply it before applying my foundation. It is SPF 15. My skin is a little dry and this really helps to hydrate. We use it every day and it says it lasts for 24 hours. You can buy it on line. It doesn't require a prescription and is in the $20 range. I don't ever use any other product. It is not greasy as some moisturizers tend to be. It works and we will never be without it.

on 4/17/2014 2:02:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Summary: While this product is moisturizing, it clogged my pores and broke me out badly.

Con's
* Broke me out and clogged my pores almost immediately!
* My skin was also slightly itchy.
* Too heavy, made my skin look greasy. And my skin is very dry.
* Expensive!

Pro's
* It does moisturize for those who don't mind looking shiny
* It blend in well and does not leave a white cast

Each time I attempted to use this, I woke up with sore, under-the-skin spots on my forehead the following day. If you are prone to facial KP, redness, and clogged pores, I would avoid this. It's fairly expensive in the U.S. at $35 from CVS or Ulta, but you do get a decent amount in the tube. I've switched to Philosophy's Hope in a Jar Oil-Free SPF 30 with better results.

on 3/18/2014 4:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I thought this sunscreen would be a good option for my dehydrated oily skin but unfortunately, it was too moisturizing and contributed to foundation oxidation.

I purchased this at CVS because they have a decent return policy. It was $35 before tax but I did use a 20% off coupon, which CVS offers pretty regularly.

I had read this product was very moisturizing so I skipped my own moisturizer and just went with the sunscreen. It was creamy and melted onto my skin nicely. When I used a full 1/4 teaspoon, which is the recommended amount for one's face, I looked like a white, greasy mess. Fortunately, the white cast went away after a couple of minutes and the sunscreen dried down decently to a semi-matte finish. Decently only because I felt the finish was a bit tacky even after several minutes.

While I had no problems applying any of my makeup on top of the sunscreen, my foundations oxidized more than I was comfortable with. I'm sure the issue had something to do with the sunscreen being so moisturizing and my skin already being on the oily side (even as it is dehydrated too).

Speaking of moisturizing, this is not a drying product in the least. I wore this sunscreen on a couple of cool days and I got oily pretty quickly. I did not experience melting foundation or anything drastic but my skin did feel uncomfortable.

I would not say this is a tenacious sunscreen because I found that it washed off my hands fairly easy. I do, however, always use an oil-based makeup remover for anything I wear on my face.

One other issue I had with this product was that it contains avobenzone. I don't have an issue with the filter itself -- no breakouts or anything -- but I find that it is a bit of a headache trying to avoid unstable sunscreen combinations such as avobenzone and octinoxate. Not a huge deal -- just a personal inconvenience considering some of my foundations do contain octinoxate.

Overall, a nice sunscreen for someone who isn't oily.

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone 2%, Ecamsule 2%, Octocrylene 10%.
Inactive ingredients: Carbomer 940, Carbomer Copolymer Type B, Cyclomethicone, Cimethicone, Edetate Disodium, Glycerin, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Isopropyl Palmitate, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Glycol, Propylparaben, Purified Water, Stearic Acid, Stearoyl Macrogolglycerides, Stearyl Alcohol, Trolamine.