no images

price range

Reviews

2.0

3 years ago

I became very interested in the house of Piguet over the last year or so, and I have acquired several EdP's from the house's contemporary collection including Fracas, Alameda, and Calypso. I must say I have not been disappointed in any of them. The next two I would like to try that are readily available are Visa and Baghari. However, I have been interested to know how these contemporary formulations compare to the vintages, too, so whence I had the chance to purchase a decant of Baghari EdC circa very early 1960s, I took a leap of faith and ordered it. This review is for that vintage EdC. Firstly, I wished to mention that I think M. Guichard, the perfumer behind the 2006 Baghari EdP formulation, is spot on in his recreation of Baghari according to the notes listed for it on Fragrantica because the vintage EdC is very much like the listed notes for the 2006 EdP, so bravo M. Guichard! My vintage EdC decant opened with delightfully bright and sparkling, albeit very fleeting, aldehydes that truly took me by surprise given the age of the EdC. Sadly, they settled down much too quickly. Then musk, rose, and jasmine entered arms entwined like the Three Graces. At this point the EdC quickly began to transition into a skin scent. I could not detect neither vanilla nor amber, though, and if there were any other notes present, I was unable to discern them. An hour into the wearing, my EdC could still be detected albeit very faintly. Initial projection and sillage were quite good. Longevity was very poor, but I have no doubt this is due at least in part to the age of this EdC. Overall, this EdC smells "like an EdC" in that it has that characteristic smell of many EdC's I recall from the 1960s. This is likely due to the low concentration of perfume oils. Compared to an EdP or extrait, those EdC's of yesteryear smelt, and I hope my bluntness here will be forgiven, cheap. However, in my imagination, if the perfume oils's concentration could be amped up, this would be a lovely, feminine fragrance very typical "of its time." It would have accompanied women's fashions of the day the way white gloves accompanied a pretty hat. If you run across the vintage EdC or any other concentration, it would be worth trying it if for no other reason than the development of your knowledge of perfume history. My guess is that the contemporary Baghari EdP is very nice indeed. *** The award of two lippies is for the vintage EdC only. The age of the EdC should be taken into consideration.

About reviewer (83 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

1.0

5 years ago

I have a slightly older manufacturers sample of baghari. Citric rose amber that turns overtly syrupy classic femme perfume referencing Tocade on me. Dry down is classic powdery and has more rose than Tocade which, to my nose, has more vanilla. Tocade is also plastic doll head on me. In warmer weather, I recall I had some issues with the indolic qualities of this fragrance, so I would hesitate to wear it except in colder weather when I am in a specific mood for vintage style. If you like the idea of citric rose amber that is warm and full (and, unlike Baghari, is modern and possibly unisex), I recommend Andy Tauer's Une rose Chypre. It's a modern chypre, that is more a floral amber that blends rose and citrus to brighten the fragrance. However, Tauer's amber vanilla (URC and others) is distinctly different from any other modern niche gourmand amber vanilla styrax benzoin oriental. Note: for some reason, piguets fragrances do not work with my skin chemistry. I cannot wear Bandit (too much green leather). Other indolic fragrances I cannot wear include vintage extrait Caron's Narcisse Noir and schaperelli Shocking.

About reviewer (517 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

EyesBrown

8 years ago

I love florals and aldehydes, and the opening blast of Baghari, combining both, was love at first sniff. The aldehydes stay for a while, and for a couple of hours I found Baghari an intriguing and uplifting blend of roses, citrus, orange blossom and goodness knows what else. I kept sniffing my wrist to see how it developed, as it changed a good deal during that time. After 2-3 hours, though, I found Baghari had dried down to a praline-mushroom-amber accord. Sounds weird, and it smelled quite odd! Not sure why that happened, and it could be that my skin chemistry and Baghari just don't bond well. Which is a shame, because I loved the opening and the middle notes very much, and wish they stayed fresher for longer. (I found the solution for me was to spray some on a small piece of cotton wool and tuck it into my bra, just like my mother and grandmother used to do - this captured the floral-aldehydic sparkle very well, and lasted for hours).

About reviewer (41 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair

HairBlond

10 years ago

While Baghari was out of production, I lusted for it. Usually, I love the "old" fragrances by Balmain, Caron, etc. But this one I'd definitely categorize as "old lady," a term I don't bandy about--being one myself :) The worst of the offenses are the aldehydes, like Chanel #5 gone bad. I adore orange blossom and hoped for the best, but this isn't my cup of champagne.

About reviewer (45 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinNormal

HairRed

EyesGreen

2.0

10 years ago

Recently I acquired a couple of sets of vintage parfum mini bottles and Baghari was among them. On my skin it opens as a clean, sweetish aldehydic floral but after a short while the aldehydes turn weird, thin - like soap gone bad. Quite unwearable for me, I'm afraid. Was glad to be able to try it but would not repurchase.

About reviewer (489 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

EyesHazel

11 years ago

And to think I used to dislike aldehydes! I love this - it is reminiscent of Chanel No. 22 with its combination of delicate blossom - in this case orange blossom - and the dry glitter of aldehydes. It is fresh and sweet and not remotely musty (a risk with aldehyde-heavy scents). I don't think of it as a special occasion scent, it makes me happy whenever and wherever I wear it, because it is so clean-smelling and feminine without being remotely Estee Lauder-like. I love the Piguet bottles too - the black opaque glass is perfect for preserving a perfume properly.

About reviewer (41 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Fine

EyesGreen

11 years ago

Simply beautiful for a lover of aldehydes. Soft opening that is to my mind more wearable that no.5, though they are somewhat similar. A classic, and one I would like to own. One lippie taken off because the staying power is simply not there - it is gone within 2 hours on me, surprising for this type of fragrance.

About reviewer (125 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Other

HairBrunette

EyesOther

11 years ago

Baghari is the queen of aldehyde florals - the opening is a beautiful combination of aldehydes and orange blossom/neroli. If you love classic fragrances and orange blossom, this is a must try. I have an affinity for the powdery sophistication of aldehydes. I think Baghari keeps good company with other classic aldey's, but for me is far more wearable and feminine than even Chanel No 5. Baghari dries down to a soft, beautiful, creamy, lightly spiced, orange blossom-floral, and is wonderful any time of year. The sillage is light so it can be worn for any occasion, but does (politely) shout for formal occasions, sheer pretty fabrics, and weddings. I also recommend this for anyone who wants to get into aldehydes but needs them to be tempered rather than overwhelming. Baghari is very classy, sophisticated, feminine and very well done.

About reviewer (10 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair

HairBrown

11 years ago

The topnotes in this fragrance are incredible. Aldehydes make a wonderful citrus fragrance sparkle, and it's the most beautiful I've ever smelled. However, after a while, it turns into Chanel #5, which I can't stand. Therefore, since the topnotes are a "5", and the rest is a "1", this gets a "3". It is such a happy fragrance at the beginning. I will keep the sample and wear some more on another day.

About reviewer (763 reviews)

SkinDry, Other, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

EyesBrown

11 years ago

This is a very mature fragrance that has a bit of an arrogant personality about it. Immediately after I sprayed it on myself, I smelled a definite mix of old, dried citrus potpourri, crystal-like aldehydes, and dull lipstick. This is something a lady in furs might wear and very much, like previous reviewers have mentioned, a retro 1950's kind of perfume like Chanel No 5 but not soapy. To me, they are slightly similar and I would think if you like classy aldehydes, you'd like Baghari. Once it dries down, you can still smell a mess of barely powdery aldehydes and citrus, however not strong. I really don't understand aldehydes myself and have never enjoyed them, but I find them somewhat pleasant in Bagheri. I still wouldn't wear this, though. I get a settled mix of bergamot and bulgarian rose, with aldehydes on my skin. I liked Fracas, but I don't like this too much. I would prefer it in winter time. Notes as mentioned on Fragrantica: The fragrance features aldehydes, iris, amber, musk, violet, vanilla, jasmine, vetiver, neroli, bergamot and bulgarian rose.

About reviewer (149 reviews)

Age19-24