Nemat International Vanilla Musk

Vanilla Musk

4.6

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

The initial application and drydown are a beautiful buttery vanilla. The inbetween is terrible. It's like overwhelming myrh and sandalwood. It was the same with the amber oil. Not for me.

on 8/12/2007 3:11:00 PM

This is an Ok vanilla musk, as it has a tinge of plastic and an after-finish that smells like butter (something that works for some scents, but not for this one). I find the Nemat musks to be rather ordinary. I much prefer Kuuma Made's Vanilla Musk, as it has a soft almond note that manages to put the brakes on the sweet vanilla base. It's balanced much better than this mostly-vanilla fragrance.

First off, I LOVE Nemat for having such a variety of interesting scents at affordable prices. Amber and Musk Amber in particular are amazing, and when I wear them I get lots of compliments. My feelings about Vanilla Musk do not in any way tinge my feelings about this company in general.
That said, this particular scent was not at all what I was expecting. It reminds me of maybe what a cheap, cupcake-scented body spray from the drugstore might smell like. It is very sweet, and I really don't get anything resembling musk from it. It's sort of artificial-smelling, very desserty, very simple. When I first applied it and got a whiff of that saccharine, synthetic cupcake smell, I desperately hoped it would morph into something closer to what I would expect would be described as "Vanilla Musk", but it pretty much stays the same throughout.
Part of what I love about fragrance oils is this organic quality they tend to have - like you're not necessarily wearing perfume, but you may just naturally smell that way. Vanilla Musk doesn't share that characteristic, which is a bummer.
However, this doesn't smell *bad* per se, and I know some people are really into sweet or dessert scents. If you are among these people, you might enjoy this. But otherwise, do yourself a favor and try another one of Nemat's fragrances. There are a lot of good ones worth exploring.

I feel compelled to edit this review in 2016 and add 2 more lippies. I'm not sure if this fragrance has aged really well over the years I've had it, if it grew on me, or if my preferences have changed, but I'm starting to really like it and find myself putting it on even when I'm not leaving the house and feel like putting on a soft and low key fragrance. The scent is not overly sweet after the drydown. I think a previous reviewer referred to it as "buttery", and I think that hits the nail on the head. I've been enjoying layering it with Alkemia's Divine Goddess Musk to bring out the musk a bit more. Once or twice I've layered it with Nemat's White Amber and it was an incredible fragrance - I could not stop sniffing my wrists. Perhaps Nemat should consider selling a Vanilla Musk Amber as an entirely new fragrance - it was that awesome.

I'm still not sure I'd repurchase this one, but as far as sweet and desserty fragrances go, it's quite nice.

on 12/26/2012 7:08:00 PM

I randomly got this from Whole Foods and am so happy with it. It's more vanilla than musk, so it's good for anyone who likes the depth of a musk but finds stronger musks to be overwhelming. My problem with other perfumes is that the lasting power is usually weak and I also get bad headaches from some great smelling fragrances (esp. any from Lancome). This oil's lasting power is strong (and *seems to be getting more intense as the day goes on) and so far I haven't experienced any headaches yet.

I'm not a big fan of vanilla but I love this stuff. It's great on it's own and wonderful to layer with other scents. It can make a good scent great and a great scent divine. I especially like to layer this with Nemat Narcissus when I'm not up to the sharp edge of Narcissus. I love the cute little bottles, too.

on 6/14/2009 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Very nice vanilla musk. Unlike the Ava Luxe version, it does not turn harsh and sharp on me (and why, I wonder, can my chemistry make this "roundest" of scents turn sharp?). However, it eventually gets too buttery to suit me.

on 8/2/2007 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This does smell great, however, I get more vanilla than musk from this oil. I like to layer this with white musk fragrances to bring out the musk a little more and add a little more creaminess to the musks.

on 11/29/2006 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Nemat Vanilla Musk is a superb very light musk with a light vanilla. Perfect balance, very wearable, and plays well with Nemat's Light Musk nearby.

on 5/27/2017 8:12:00 PM

This little minaret-topped bottle has been the most wonderful surprise -- I'm on my third bottle now!

I've tried many, many vanilla perfume oils. Most either smell sickly sweet, or they fade within 10 minutes of application. Vanilla Musk by Nemat is my new staple because it doesn't have either of those problems! It's a buttery musky vanilla. The musk is warm and lends a depth to the fragrance so it doesn't veer into candy territory. When I apply the oil to my pulse points it's very faint, but as my body warms the scent blooms on my skin. It lasts for hours too! Even when I think the perfume is long gone I'll hug a friend and they'll breathe in and say, "You and your vanilla..."

Of all my vanilla perfume oils, this one has garnered the most compliments. I am always reaching into my bag to show others what the bottle looks like so they can pick it up for themselves! This little powerhouse is all of $13 AND it's vegan, Leaping Bunny and PETA certified too!

I purchased this scent and Narcissus and I love them both! I purchased these after seeing the good reviews and also because I've switched to oils and attars. So I thought this would be a nice oil to have since I adore vanilla and musk. I find this to be a sweet vanilla with a nice background of powdery musk. You only need a small amount and it's great for layering. I added some Egyptian goddess to this and the scent is so out of this world I love it.

This is a great oil alone or layered for sure. The scent is amazing and lasts for hours if not days on my clothes. I ordered mine as a blind buy from Amazon and I'm very happy. Also the narcissus is so good as well. I would totally purchase more of these and for the price it's a great oil. Recommended.

Popular Fragrances