Nemat International Vanilla Musk

Nemat International Vanilla Musk
Vanilla Musk

4.6

on 5/27/2017 8:12:00 PM

This little minaret-topped bottle has been the most wonderful surprise -- I'm on my third bottle now!

I've tried many, many vanilla perfume oils. Most either smell sickly sweet, or they fade within 10 minutes of application. Vanilla Musk by Nemat is my new staple because it doesn't have either of those problems! It's a buttery musky vanilla. The musk is warm and lends a depth to the fragrance so it doesn't veer into candy territory. When I apply the oil to my pulse points it's very faint, but as my body warms the scent blooms on my skin. It lasts for hours too! Even when I think the perfume is long gone I'll hug a friend and they'll breathe in and say, "You and your vanilla..."

Of all my vanilla perfume oils, this one has garnered the most compliments. I am always reaching into my bag to show others what the bottle looks like so they can pick it up for themselves! This little powerhouse is all of $13 AND it's vegan, Leaping Bunny and PETA certified too!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is heaven!! Pure vanilla orchids and a very light white musk in a very inexpensive, long lasting oil! It is more vanilla than musk and it's a sweet but not overly sweet vanilla. If you love vanilla scents you have to try this. It's HG Vanilla! It reminds me very much of Il Profumo Bourbon Vanilla, which is gorgeous, but not much staying power for $80 a bottle! Nemat International in general is inexpensive luxury --- a great find!!

ADDED COMMENT: I love Nemat Oils but have to cut the oils with Jojoba oil or almond oil before applying to my skin. I developed a rash -- and just wanted to warn anyone that might be sensitive.

First off, I LOVE Nemat for having such a variety of interesting scents at affordable prices. Amber and Musk Amber in particular are amazing, and when I wear them I get lots of compliments. My feelings about Vanilla Musk do not in any way tinge my feelings about this company in general.
That said, this particular scent was not at all what I was expecting. It reminds me of maybe what a cheap, cupcake-scented body spray from the drugstore might smell like. It is very sweet, and I really don't get anything resembling musk from it. It's sort of artificial-smelling, very desserty, very simple. When I first applied it and got a whiff of that saccharine, synthetic cupcake smell, I desperately hoped it would morph into something closer to what I would expect would be described as "Vanilla Musk", but it pretty much stays the same throughout.
Part of what I love about fragrance oils is this organic quality they tend to have - like you're not necessarily wearing perfume, but you may just naturally smell that way. Vanilla Musk doesn't share that characteristic, which is a bummer.
However, this doesn't smell *bad* per se, and I know some people are really into sweet or dessert scents. If you are among these people, you might enjoy this. But otherwise, do yourself a favor and try another one of Nemat's fragrances. There are a lot of good ones worth exploring.

I feel compelled to edit this review in 2016 and add 2 more lippies. I'm not sure if this fragrance has aged really well over the years I've had it, if it grew on me, or if my preferences have changed, but I'm starting to really like it and find myself putting it on even when I'm not leaving the house and feel like putting on a soft and low key fragrance. The scent is not overly sweet after the drydown. I think a previous reviewer referred to it as "buttery", and I think that hits the nail on the head. I've been enjoying layering it with Alkemia's Divine Goddess Musk to bring out the musk a bit more. Once or twice I've layered it with Nemat's White Amber and it was an incredible fragrance - I could not stop sniffing my wrists. Perhaps Nemat should consider selling a Vanilla Musk Amber as an entirely new fragrance - it was that awesome.

I'm still not sure I'd repurchase this one, but as far as sweet and desserty fragrances go, it's quite nice.

on 10/12/2007 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

As a vanilla aficionado who has been avoiding my toothachingly sweet vanillas lately, Maybe I decided that at age 50 I need to be a bit more...um... grown up? It's more like a split-open vanilla bean than a sugared vanilla, and the subtle musk keeps it just this side of gourmand. There is a sweetness, but it's not the least bit candyish or cloying. I picked this one up at Whole Foods, along with three other Nemat musks (Egyptian, Himalayan and White) and this was by far my favorite. I do enjoy layering it with the Egyptian Musk sometimes for a little added depth, but it is exquisite on it's own.

This is a sublime and simple vanilla with the barest tinge of a sweet musk. I wouldn't have any idea there was any musk at all in this if I wasn't sniffing for it, and I have a good nose for musks in general. This vanilla is sweet and natural. It doesn't lean toward a dark, vanilla extract and brown sugar smell, nor a powdery flowery vanilla orchid smell, but more the smell of a freshly macerated vanilla bean made less gourmand and a touch more perfumey than foody by its synergy with the barely perceptible musk. This oil lasts all day on me, and though the sillage isn't extreme, it's good for an oil and can be increased by maximizing its surface area on your skin. I found this little bottle for $5 at Whole Foods, and given that it's infinitely higher quality, cheaper, more portable and better for layering than all the popular vanilla eau de whatevers at Sephora and the like, I'm surprised it's not ubiquitous. But then they (and consequently we) don't pay for advertising, so it can be our secret.

on 10/20/2016 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this! It's a caramelly, sweet vanilla musk. Lasts over 6 hours with just a dab. Not too loud but others can definitely smell it. Paid about $9 including shipping for a roll-on oil (my WF doesn't sell this line and that seems to be where most people find it). If I had to pick, I would say it's close to L'Aromarine Vanille but with more caramel.

on 5/13/2012 2:20:00 AM

Vanilla lovers everywhere rejoice. How Nemat is not more well know in the industry escapes me? Where are the magazine adds, where are the commercials. These oils are beautifully packaged little olfactory delights!!!! Vanilla Musk is the perfect gourmand vanilla, sweet without being candyish, delicate yet with all day staying power and the musk scent gives it that sexy, sublime edge that makes people stop and take notice. I adore this scent, but then again I havent come across a Nemat Oil I havent loved as of yet!

I'm not a big fan of vanilla but I love this stuff. It's great on it's own and wonderful to layer with other scents. It can make a good scent great and a great scent divine. I especially like to layer this with Nemat Narcissus when I'm not up to the sharp edge of Narcissus. I love the cute little bottles, too.

on 8/12/2007 3:11:00 PM

This is an Ok vanilla musk, as it has a tinge of plastic and an after-finish that smells like butter (something that works for some scents, but not for this one). I find the Nemat musks to be rather ordinary. I much prefer Kuuma Made's Vanilla Musk, as it has a soft almond note that manages to put the brakes on the sweet vanilla base. It's balanced much better than this mostly-vanilla fragrance.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

The best vanilla I've ever smelled hands down. I own a lot of fragrances, most of them vanilla based, and I love them all, but if I want something that's SURE to inspire compliments and get complete strangers asking "what are you wearing?" I wear this. My most inexpensive fragrance and my most commented on. It's truly beautiful.

Popular Fragrances