3.5

package quality

price range

Reviews

2 years ago

UBER SWEET BABY POWDER. Nothing exotic here. Wanted to love this...sounds like it should be a fresh tropical floral with spice and sandalwood base. I don't get any of that...just sickeningly sweet...sugar coated spice. On me its literally as if Johnson & Johnson took their regular baby powder scent , concentrated it by x100 and put it in a liquid spray.I like the smell of a baby after bath...but NOT THIS MUCH.Not sexy , not interesting, just WAY TOO SWEET.

About reviewer (4 reviews)

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

3 years ago

I took a gamble on this based on positive reviews, and even made sure I purchased the original 1996 Parfums International version in the frosted (not clear) bottle. The gamble paid off! This is a soft, brushed-suede caress of a fragrance. Very different from Liz’s other offerings. It honestly took a couple of wearings for Black Pearls to grow on me. I initially posted a very negative review based on first sniff. I guess I was expecting an oceanic scent, and therefore I wasn’t prepared for the very leathery topnotes— they almost smell like a freshly polished shoe— and the peach/vanilla/woodsy powder in the base. There’s nothing fresh or aquatic about this perfume. The second time I wore this, I sprayed it on my chest under my clothes rather than onto my wrist, and that made all the difference. When sniffed from more of a distance than just holding your wrist to your nose, Black Pearls can really unfold and doesn’t overwhelm. It’s warm but not too sweet, and with no florals at all that I can detect. The leather note disappears fairly quickly, leaving a peachy powdery vanilla haze with a generous dose of clean skin musk. The overall impression is soft, hazy, and comforting without being grandma-ish. Reminds me a tiny bit of Givenchy Organza and DK Cashmere Mist— two other warm, sweet, powdery 1990s creations. Very nice!

About reviewer (229 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Not Sure

HairRed, Other, Other

from

3 years ago

Black Pearls is my guilty pleasure. Straight up. I'm usually a fan of far more expensive perfumes and very rarely give "cheapys" a chance, let alone a spot in my collection! That said, Black Pearls has won me over. It is not spectacular at the initial spray... or even "good" for that matter. That dry down though, is where it's at! Given a chance to sit and really mingle with my chemistry/pheromones it morphs into a incensey, floral with hints of powdered vanilla that smells FAR more lovely and expensive than it's price! I've heard it reviewed as grandma perfume. I don't get that at all. MAYBE initially? It does need that time to dry down as I said because it smells like a peach brandy disaster for about 15 minutes. But I'm barely 30 and I wear it, get compliments, & people are always shocked that it's a Liz Taylor cheapo. Anyway, I wear it on cold winter days when I'm not doing anything special. My husband likes it too.

About reviewer (23 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium

HairRed

5 years ago

This is perfume with a capital P!!! I find it difficult to describe except to say that this is the bomb on me. A warm powdery oriental on a base of gardenia and musk which dries down to a musky, amber skin scent that makes people lean in and sniff me. No joke!!. I was given this as an early christmas present. Even though it is summer in Australia and I normally reserve orientals for cool weather, this blends so well with my chemistry that I can wear it in warm weather without being overpowered. Every day that I have worn it I have received compliments from total strangers, both men and women. People really are leaning in and sniffing me! I've been asked out by two men in the last week. What a pity I'm taken. I don't wear body lotion, but if I could get this in a body lotion, I would lather myself up with it. The ultimate would be if this came in a bath oil. I love oil based or solid fragrances. I find they emphasise the skin scent aspect of any fragrance. Oh well a spray on eau de toilette will have to do. I'm in love.

About reviewer (816 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

6 years ago

Several years ago I wore this all the time but when my husband and I separated a couple years ago I could only bring some of my perfumes so, since this bottle was almost empty, I left it. I bought another one about a month ago and it's so nice to wear it again. The best way I can describe it is a powdery vanilla and since I always love vanilla it's a winner in my book. It's also very reasonable and I got a non-tester 3.3oz bottle on ebay for under $15. I have loved all of the Elizabeth Taylor scents that I've tried but I have to say that this is my favorite so far and I also love White Diamonds although I see it's not popular on this site. This is a great scent and such a great bargain.

About reviewer (363 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

7 years ago

Sorry to bring this one down - I am a fan of most Elizabeth Taylor fragrances but this one is a real let down. Smells overly sickeningly sweet in the bottle like bitter almonds with canned fruit and on my skin I get sweaty socks mixed with rotting peach syrup - Like a peach can which hasn't been rinsed and has been left out in the recycling bin for 2 weeks mixed with the most fake vanilla extract you have ever smelled. This one is nauseating.

About reviewer (500 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

7 years ago

Wow, bought this blind on the rec of a MUAer whose opinion I trust and she was not wrong - simply lovely. I would class it as a winter/evening perfume and you do not need much of it. The is a lovely boozy vanilla, sandalwood and amber which I do not think is listed but for some reason I smell amber. Sillage is huge so beware and lasting power 24 hours. Love

About reviewer (325 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

8 years ago

Made the mistake of purchasing a bottle, unaware that its previous frosted-glass version was far superior to the reformulation. <br> Which is a shame, as I can tell that this scent was fabulous in its original form. I detect an opening of vanilla, and lilac...settling into jasmine, sandalwood, coriander...I could go on. I could live in the fragrance. <br> If not for the plasticine overtones and almost throat-clogging powder elements. From reviews I've read of the initial version, what the notes I'm detecting the the reformulation are almost an inversion of how they were presented in the original scent. <br> If you cannot find a vintage bottle of this perfume, don't bother. I'm attempting to repurpose mine by adding it to other scent concoctions, but it that doesn't work I'll just use it as a paperweight. The bottle is beautiful.

About reviewer (84 reviews)

SkinCombination, Dark, Warm

HairBlack, Kinky, Medium

3.0

8 years ago

The top notes reminds me very much of Avon's discontinued Rare Rubies with the warm spices and sandalwood and the dry down reminds me of Avon's discontinued Rare Emeralds with the floral base. I like this one. Though, it's not one I can see myself wearing a lot. It's a more formal type of perfume. It has great sillage and it lasts a very long time on the skin.

About reviewer (744 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

EyesHazel

8 years ago

This is fun to have if you can find a sufficiently old bottle. Don't waste your time & money on the new version, which is in larger, clear glass bottles. Instead, look for a small frosted bottled at estate sales, including the parfum mini, a 10ml EdP, and the 30ml EdP -- all in frosted bottles. I've managed to pick up a gift sets, still in box with a department store price tag from the early 1990s, for about $7. I loved it as soon as I tried it and got rid of my modern bottle immediately. As far as I can tell, the frosted bottles are vintage. But to be sure, look for boxed gift sets in black flock with clear covers -- they're the real deal from the past. Vintage Black Pearls is a powdery, floral amber that wears like a floriental on me. I don't see amber listed as a note, but that's what it smells like to me. It's not bright but not dark either. Many people report vanilla & sandalwood in the base. I can't pick out individual notes & accords -- it's just very well blended in vintage. Vintage Black Pearls is unique. It's the only ET fragrance that I wear, and I've tried most of the ET range. I'm happy to have it in my collection.

About reviewer (89 reviews)

Age36-43