CHANEL Le Crayon Kohl Intense Eye Pencil in Ambre 62

No Image

4.1

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

It is, as a person below said, ‘tannic’ it really does have that red tinge that orange pekoe tea would.
I got it months ago only because the MUA for most recent Anna Karenina film said she used it on Kiera Knightley. Unfortunately it really is not that long lasting and even if you smudge it out and set it, it bleeds and melts and transfers.

Touchups on a movie set are a given, though, and it’s a case of desired effect vs longevity. If it were a long wearing Urban decay type item it would not give quite the same effect.

I do use it from time to time but my idea is to one day purchase Joe Blasco Ultamatte in Eddie Leonard (camerareadycosmetics emailed meand said if I request a specific shade that they generally don’t carry - like this Eddie Leonard one- they will order it for me from the manufacturer!!)
The reason is that I found the one Ultamatte I do have (gray-violet) to be pleasantly pigmented,
and if I smudge it it does so evenly and smoothly. Has a similar texture to kohl pencil on the skin, but doesn’t transfer and doesn’t flake.

Even with this Chanel that smudging into a soft haze doesn’t happen quite as well as that product.

The Eddie Leonard is meant to mimic the natural red tinge of brown found around eyes, and this is exactly the reason that Kiera’s MUA had used Chanel Ambre on her. They look similar in swatches.

That’s why I put no for repurchase. I also misplace eyeliner pencils too much so Buying Chanel eyeliner is not a smart idea for someone forgetful like myself.

However it is quite a good convenient item. That Kiera MUA also used it as a contour for the eyes and face by rubbing it intensely on her hand, then picking up with makeup brush to apply in selected areas.

Oh sorry for the disorganized thoughts but i just realized it is simikar to MAC teddy in effect. No microshimmer like MAc teddy which irritates my eyes, but a very similar colour to that too.

Mac teddy lasts very briefly before ‘evaporating’ even when set while Chanel stays on very long for a Kohl pencil. (Although still transfers)

Would make a good little (but $$) gift. As a smooth and flattering shade of brown liner is not that easy to find.

I just think not perfect for ME.

on 11/5/2013 4:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This colour is quite warm, so it works best for people with warm undertones, such as those with green/hazel eyes. However, if you have cool undertones, it may still work if used sparingly and paired with cooler shades, especially if you are brown-eyed. I also have to agree with earlier reviewers that the application is very easy and smooth; however, it bleeds! One reviewer mentioned that it transfers to the upper lid for people with deep-set eyes, but I don't have deep-set eyes and it still transfers to the upper lids, though I apply the thinnest line possible. I would say that as long as you have double-lids, there would be a tendency for the colour to transfer to the upper lids. Perhaps one trick is to smudge it right up beyond the fold in the upper lids, but I have not tried that yet. Also, if you line your lower lids, it also bleeds.

on 7/7/2013 1:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I recently received this pencil from my mom because it tugged her eyes too much. It DOES tug, but you can circumvent that with gentle strokes and/or heating the pencil beforehand.

On to the review (I'll keep it short, sweet and organized):

Pros:
~BEAUTIFUL color and effect. Lovely smokey look. I'm fair skinned and it looks nice on me. I personally don't think that there's any red in it.
~For MU lovers who aren't experts, you can apply a bit messily and it looks intentional ;)
~Blends easily
~Fades gracefully

Cons:
~Transfers to upper lid for people with deep set eyes. Can be fixed to a degree with primer.
~Bleeds when used to line bottom lid
~Expensive for an eyeliner
~Staying power is limited

Overall, I think that this is an authentic-looking kohl liner with an awesome color and a forgiving application. I'd recommend this product over the smoother but blander Yeux. I'd give it three stars for deep-set eyes, but we're the minority, so for most it's a four.

You can probably pick up something cheaper that has a much similar effect, however i got this as a gift and love it, if you're going to splash out, i recommend this product.

on 8/26/2011 11:57:00 AM

This is my favourite eyeliner ever. I stole it off my Mum some years ago...I'm so glad Chanel are still making this shade as it works perfectly with my golden/hazel eyes and soon I will need to replace it! I use it almost everyday, it has decent staying power for a khol pencil but its real appeal is how beautifully it glides on and how rich the colour appears. It is a little pricey but will last a very long time even with frequent use and good brown eyeliners are hard to come by.

From the first use I knew it's a HG material! it makes me wanna throw out all my eyeliners and eye pencils, and buy this one in every color they carry. it is the softest eye pencil I'be ever used, it applies to my waterline very well, it smudges beautifully. it's everything one could ask for in an eye pencil.
Update: It is still one of the softest pencils but when the weather is hot it transfers to my upper lid unless I settle it with an eyeshadow. And I also found that when I use my Chanel eyeshadow in Cinnamon (wet) I get the same color but without transferring and it stays longer. So I will use the eyeshadow instead of the pencil

on 10/16/2009 1:33:00 AM

Subtle and nice. It's really dark and the red in it is nice because it's red enough to bring out the green in my eyes without making me look sick. It's still "black" enough to allow me to go dramatic with it and it blends brilliantly. Staying power is not the best but hey, it's KOHL EYE LINER. I bought a Make Up Forever in something - 17 to try to replicate the awesomeness that is this color but with longer wear. Thus far, it's a close match, but the Chanel Ambre is still so much prettier.

Update: Upgrading it to a 5 star rating because while, as with any kohl the staying power isn't the best, it holds up well in the heat, making this not just any other kohl liner

on 11/16/2008 7:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A nice surprise of a colour - a kind of tannic, reddish brown that still worked, even from behind my coke bottles! Subtle, yet adds interest to my boring, brown, very near-sighted eyes. Doesn't make me look red-eyed, but rather pushes the brown in the inner ring *sorta* toward green. Received in a swap, but will buy if it runs out.

gorgeous reddened deep brown kohl shade...Ambre is so perfect for my coloring, it really makes my hazel eyes appear a deep foresty green when I wear it! Pairs especially well with Chanel quads in Variations, and Spices, and would also be perfect with Le Bronze and Cinnamon single e/s....anything brown, really! it has a gorgeous, smooth soft kohl texture....you can tightline/waterline really well with these....lasts as long as any other Kohl on me (think MAC). the nice thing about Chanel's liners is that they always come with a quality sharpener too....love this color and would definitely repurchase should I ever run out.....

on 4/5/2008 7:47:00 PM

This is a very easy to apply formula and Ambre is a gorgeous color for blue eyes. If you have blue or green eyes and like the smoky look, I highly suggest giving this eyeliner a try. The only problem with kohls is that they smudge and fade easily, but if you don't like waterproof formulas that you have to tug off, then this is a great product.