Artdeco Eyeshadow - General Review

Filtered by age: 25-29
Artdeco Eyeshadow - General Review

Skin: Other, Fair, Warm

I mainly like this product since I found the perfect shade of green to complement my eye color. It is 246 and has a slightly shimmer or shimmery look to it. I use it to do a line under the eye on top of my green amkeup pencil.

Pacaging is also something I have not decided if I like or not. I have not bought the palette to put is in, it is as an individual eyeshadow in my makeup bag. It is small, but I feel that the cover is not strong enough, sometimes I find that it has come off. I suppose it is meant to be in a palette and not individually. At the same time I like that it is so small and does not take much space when travelling.

on 9/13/2011 3:50:00 PM

What attracted me to ArtDeco eyeshadows was a combination of factors:
1) their palette system - super small and travel-friendly palettes
2) packaging - you don't need to depot them to put them on a palette and you can carry them as single eyeshadows too,
3) they don't have a lot of product but still a good amount for the price (I hate huge eyeshadows, I never finish them),
4) they have beautiful shades - lots of neutrals and great non-neutral but wearable colors, matte, satin or shimmery, some even a bit glittery, so there's something for everyone.

As you can see I really wanted to love ArtDeco eyeshadows. But, unfortunately, they were a huge disappointment to me. I have 7 shades: 11, 16, 17, 18 (shimmery beige, taupes, brown), 84 (shimmery purple), 350 (taupe with a bit of glitter) and 514 (matte light taupe) and none of them is a winner.

Their problems:
- really poor pigmentation, even with primer and cream e/s as a base
- they're super powdery and have huge fallout, even in the non-glittery shades. The matte one was specially powdery
- once you blend a little, they become basically invisible and the shimmer is gone
- the glitter is a bit chunky, not as bad as Catrice glittery eyeshadows, but definetely not a fine glitter.

I'm still undecided about repurchasing. I would buy another ArtDeco eyeshadow if I wanted to try some different shade that I'm not sure that will work for me, but only if I don't find anything similar in other cheap (but better) brands like Catrice, Essence or Kiko. I'm definetely not buying any neutrals from ArtDeco anymore since you can easily find good quality neutrals in lots of other brands.

I'll give it 3 lippies because they're definetely not the worst eyeshadows in the world (which would be Maybelline, Cover Girl and the like) and they have a great price and a good variety of shades and finishes.

on 8/2/2009 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Artdeco is my favorite med-to-low end brand. If I don't want to splurge on a high end product, Artdeco is always the first brand I turn to. Their star products are the eyeshadows, the eyeshadow base (which many find comparable or even superior to UDPP and Too Faced SI), All in One mascara and the Glossy Lip Care, which is almost identical to MAC's Slimshines.
The eyeshadows are always sold individually and come in small rectangular pans, which are magnetized and are meant to be inserted into Artdeco's palettes. They call this ''Systeme Mosaique'' (similar to Bobbi Brown's customized palettes) and the palettes can also be used for blush, concealer or any combination of the three. The palettes themselves are cute and sleek and well made, but aren't exactly cheap considering you're basically buying a piece of plastic (about 7-15 EUR, depending on size) . They are convenient, but aren't necessary. Actually, you can use any metal case you happen to have (such as a cigarette or pencil case). The magnet is strong enough to hold the pans and they won't fall out.
I currently have about 10 of these and two palettes, a small duo for travel and a large one which can house up to 8 eyeshadow pans or a blush and 5 eyeshadows. (The blush takes up the space of three e/s pans, and the concealer two.)
The eyeshadows are very smooth, silky, blendable and quite pigmented, although some are more pigmented than others. The colour selection is quite large, but doesn't feature many unusual shades. Since I'm mostly into neutrals, I've always been able to find what I need, but I do find some shades a bit dull and/or flat. Artdeco makes 4 types of shadows - pearl (that's actually satin), matte, duochrome and glamour (glittery). I like the pearls and mattes, but the other two tend to be gritty and chunky, and don't blend as well. Still, for that price (4-5 EUR per pan) you can't really go wrong. They stay on and don't crease too much on me, but then I have dry lids. If worn with the base, they'll stay on pretty much all day.
Overall, Artdeco eyeshadows are far superior in quality and pigmentation to any other lower-end brand I've tried. I really appreciate that they offer quality products at reasonable prices - I can't always splurge on, say, Chanel duos, but still want a decent product. Artdeco's stuff fits the bill perfectly.