Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lemon and Sage Thickening Shampoo

3.6

Not tested on animals

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

First of all, I love this scent. Fresh yet calming. However, I do not get really 'thickening' from this. For me, this has a slight deep-cleansing effect (which, this is not the first 'thickening' shampoo I have ever tried that left my hair feeling super deep-cleaned/stripped), which in turn does give the hair a slight fuller/thicker feeling. But if you are wanting some major va-va-voom volume, you might not get that from this shampoo. But to me, I tend to rely more on styling products for volume; I have tried many...MANY..'thickening' and 'volumizing' shampoos, and none have given me major noticeable volume. But for me, I totally love the scent of this. It has a fresh scent that is unique. Cleans hair just fine.

All around an average shampoo, again, can be slightly stripping so even if your hair is fine and super healthy, you might/probably will need at least a light conditioner. But I love the scent of this. Unique and lovely scent. Not perfume-y nor a typical 'shampoo scent'. But for volumizing/thickening, this is merely nothing special; a pretty average shampoo, actually. Works about as good as most thickening shampoos, and in some cases, better than some thickening shampoos. But, again, you won't get va-va-voom Texas big hair with this. A sort of a deep-cleansing that strips hair of products and oils that weigh the hair down. But I do love the scent, and I will repurchase for the scent and the deep-cleansing, fresh feeling I get with this.

For me the shampoo is quite average. Maybe it does thicken the hair a bit, but alongside with this it weighs my hair down. Even though the product has a light consistency (it is clear gel), after using it the hair lacks volume.
The good thing is the smell - fresh and energizing.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I recently bought a travel size bottle of this shampoo. It smells gorgeous to my nose- like fresh lemons or lemon verbena. It leaves my hair squeaky clean but not in a stripped kind of way. My hair air-dries with more body and shine. My roots stay feeling less oily the next day which is nice since I am prone to headaches if my roots are too greasy when I want to wear my hair up. I don't use this daily, just occasionally when I feel my hair needs it and I only need to use a little bit. It lathers very well and removes styling products without leaving any residue. I am looking forward to trying out the matching conditioner and body wash to see if I like them as much as the shampoo. Perfect for fine, oily to normal hair.

on 4/20/2014 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have lots of straight, fine, highlighted, dark blonde hair. I have been using Paul Mitchell's Lemon Sage Thickening Shampoo along w/ the Lemon Sage Thickening Conditioner (which I reviewed separately) for about 2 weeks now & I'm really impressed w/ the results. Used together, my hair is squeaky clean and feels much fuller and texturized. At first, I really thought that this shampoo would end up being something that I used a few times a month since it reminds me of a strong, clarifying shampoo but I've used it every day now, for 2 weeks, along w/ the Lemon Sage Thickening conditioner, & my hair does not look dry at all. I keep expecting my hair to appear dried out or to be full of static, but neither of those things have happened. My hair is shiny, clean & bouncy w/ tons of volume and looks as healthy as ever. I honestly am stunned how well these products work.

Pros: really cleans-great clarifying shampoo, adds texture, fresh lemon scent, not ridiculously expensive for a higher-end conditioner

Cons: may be too drying for some, the scent may be an issue for some, pricey compared to DS products, the packaging is not great as the bottle is too rigid to effectively squeeze product out of

on 12/24/2012 12:50:00 PM

This is a pretty descent shampoo, just a little bit goes a long way. It lathers up nicely and it's very foamy! It's okay for every day use, very light on the scalp. From the "organic" lines, this has been one of the best ones I've tried, it even helped with my 'winter' dandruff, and didn't irritate scalp.
I don't like the packaging thought, I can't control how much comes out of it.

on 10/23/2012 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

So I've been trying to save money in the shampoo and conditioner department which unfortunately had been leaving my hair a flat lifeless grease ball. I caved and purchased this with its matching conditioner. This (with its conditioner) makes my hair feel WONDERFUL! The ends have moisture, the top isn't greasy, its volumizing, and MY HAIR IS SO SOFT! It smells very lemony as the name implies, which I enjoy immensely. Definitely would recommend to people whose hair tends to get a little greasy and those who wouldn't mind a little extra volume. Only issue is its rather expensive, $16.00 a bottle!

on 9/16/2012 8:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love the way this stuff smells. I use it with the conditioner and it's made my hair thicker and shinier. I still use a deep conditioner once a week because it doesn't make my hair as soft as I'd like it to be, but I love everything else about it. I don't find it to be too drying - I have fine, relatively thick, and very oily hair and this is the first shampoo/conditioner combo I've used where I only have to wash my hair a 3 times a week instead of every day without looking too greasy.

on 6/11/2012 5:42:00 PM

I didn't know how to rate this product, to be honest. It definitely makes my hair look more voluminous and in that way, it's the best shampoo I've tried, BUT it dries the life out of my hair, and my skin. It's so drying that I get tight palms after using it, which lasts into the next day (that said, I do tend toward dry rather than oily skin.) I don't know if I can actually keep using it in the long term because of this, but it really does get results. My hair has more volume and smoothness after using this with the conditioner, and unlike with other fairly natural shampoos, I'm not left with annoyingly tangly hair that gets into knots for no reason shortly after brushing. This is great because having thin hair means that when that does happen, hair inevitably gets ripped out. I have the driest skin on my hands, arms and legs from this shampoo, but my hair looks really good!

It's a pricey product, but it's cruelty-free and made in America, so there are upsides!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this product but don't use it all the time it WILL dry out your hair a lot. It smells very good, and does volumize but after recently taking a break from it i think that it is more of a clarifying shampoo then moisturizing unless you use the conditioner which makes your hair so soft. Just don't use this product all the time it can take a toll.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My hair: fine, normal, thick, wavy.

The scent is amazing and fresh. Too drying for everyday, but I'm keeping it as a clarifying shampoo for once a week.

Conditioner is wonderful for everyday. I'm pairing it with my favorite Avalon Organics Biotin Thickening Shampoo for great results.

Popular Shampoos