no images

package quality

price range

Reviews

6 years ago

Patchouli Empire is a peppery, dry, thin smelling patchouli with an almost tea-like astringency to it. I like my patchoulis to be deeper and richer or paired with some sweetness or resins. I find this one to be slightly bitter, too dry, and bland.

About reviewer (268 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOther, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

EyesGreen

from

7 years ago

I purchased this for my boyfriend, as part of a birthday gift. I could only afford the 2ml vial which was okay, because even though both of us love patchouli, neither of us had ever tried this one before. I have to say, this is a total winner. The oil itself is lush, and easy to apply, and the scent is warm, rich, and not overwhelming at all. We both found that is lasts all day, and into the night on each of us. This is the only perfume type item so far, that both my boyfriend and I can agree on and wear. We really should save up for a larger bottle of it! One lippie off for the price, but I really do love this stuff.

About reviewer (32 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

EyesBrown

12 years ago

Patchouli Empire - if there are 5 patchoulis in there I certainly can't detect them. What I can smell though is that Black Pepper and as a scent on it's own it ain't pleasant. Patchouli should be luscious, earthy and very sensual. Giving this one a very big miss. So glad I only bought a sample.

About reviewer (45 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

EyesGreen

2.0

12 years ago

Let me preface this by saying I'm not a patchouli lover, but I don't hate it either. I like lots of scents that use patchouli somewhere in the base, and I even fell in love with Montale's incredible, earthy Patchouli Leaves. But this did not move me at all--it was a simple patchouli that seemed pungent and sour compared to Montale's (which probably spoiled me). It does have a nice earthiness to it, and is worth sampling if you love straight patchouli. But I need more to convince me!

About reviewer (127 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

12 years ago

As a patchouli lover, I occasionally bristle when I hear people describe my beloved patch as reeking of body odor. Patchouli smells clean, people! Like cool loamy soil and sun-dried grasses growing near sparkling brooklets! Errrr...except for the patch (sorry, the blend of FIVE patches) in Patchouli Empire. I finally smell what the other half smells: this one was a scrubber, pure B.O. It's probably the black pepper. Much as I like to eat black pepper, I can't wear it in perfume because it smells like sour, acrid sweat to me. Add it to patchouli, and you've got quite the combination! Try before you buy.

About reviewer (117 reviews)

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

12 years ago

I can't top Harper's review, but to me this fragrance is all that. I am thoroughly enjoying this, I bought the absolute. I am a stalwart patchouli lover, but I do believe a patchouli hater would love this. Excellent!

About reviewer (83 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Fair

HairBrown

EyesBrown

13 years ago

ode to cbihateperfume patchouli: well, no -- i'll not start singing or rhyming -- but here is my experience of wearing cbihateperfume patchouli empire: it is, quite simply, spectacular in a serenely and inescapably seductive way. after so many years of loving patchouli -- here is *the* one -- the masterpiece -- the one that blows all others out of the water in a quiet storm. quiet, because patchouli empire is not loud or aggressive or anything like that. it is muted and comforting like trees and rocks and earth and walking in the woods, like the browns and greens of leaves turning in october. there is nothing angular here, nothing sharp, nothing overpowering. all is rounded and quietly inviting. that said, it is also sort of strange. patchouli empire starts out demure and earthy, with hints of cedar (or pine) -- tree-sap of a needle-tree, anyhow. but soft tree-sap. tree-sap of a very large pine standing in the sun, sap running from a cut in a branch, perhaps. that kind of smell. and earth (here's the patchouli) -- but again, it is muted, and unobtrusive, and whispering its message rather than shouting it. and soon there is a skin-note as well -- i mean, yes, *that* kind of note: erotic. hot. seductive. the fragrance dries down to whispers of wood and earth beckoning -- pan would smell like this, an elfen king (or queen) intent on ravishing you in the underbrush (and you willing and eager) -- *this* would be their skin scent. and it would be left on your body afterwards along with some brown, dried leaves in your hair and you longing for more. the scent lasts well. and all the while i get these whiffs of smell that make me think: trees? skin? whose? this description is for the absolute. it has a marvelous consistency in and of itself. a light oily substance that glides on and is easily spread with your fingers (nothing thick and cloying here, either). and that's it. now go and try it. to be had at www.cbihateperfume.com .

About reviewer (110 reviews)

Age