no images

price range

Reviews

3.0

8 years ago

For the cost of this line, I expect more. This is probably my least favorite thus far, and smells of screechy powder and plastic. The stillage does have a resemblance to Shalimar, which I do not enjoy either. On my skin it is flat and chemical. I give it two lippies for the sillage, which is more passable than actual skin scent. Edited to increase to a 3: As this dried down, it did become a lovely vanilla powder scent. Not something I would want to wear, and not something I would ever spend this kind of money on, but it lost that synthetic plastic smell.

About reviewer (533 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Medium

9 years ago

I didn't know this was by Maurice Roucel when I bought it, but wasn't surprised to discover it later--M. Roucel's magic always draws me in. On me, Labdanum opens with a creamy amber richness and dries down to a vanilla floral powder that reminds me just a bit of Shalimar. It's sexy in a warm cuddling by the winter fire sort of way--for me, a real comfort scent. Delicious! The sign of true love? I've worn it 5 of the last 7 days. If this keeps up, I'm going to have to get another bottle!

About reviewer (30 reviews)

Age44-55

HairBlond, Other, Other

EyesHazel

9 years ago

Love this scent. It's expensive, but I only wear it on special occasions. It's very, very sexy and strong. I smell myself (inadvertently) constantly when I wear this. For some this fragrance is very overpowering so I would advise not to wear it in professional or small-room situations. It's a very comforting scent, perfect when you want to feel sexy not for someone else, but for yourself.

About reviewer (54 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Other, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Medium

10 years ago

A rich, slightly green resin. Warm and slightly powdery in a texture way, not powder as a scent. Almost opoponax in the light warm powder edge. Very nice.

About reviewer (1714 reviews)

Age36-43

HairBrunette, Other, Fine

10 years ago

The first 30 minutes after initial application, this perfume smelled on me, like cat pee. Like urine... but covered up with powderiness. However, the second time I tried it, the initial smell was just pure vintage powdery, like the opening of Shalimar or Chanel no. 22. The opening actually smells wonderful today. The mid-notes open up into quite a beautiful, comforting, ambery-powdery resinous perfume. The heart notes contain a transparent flower, a single note, which is not listed, hidden in the soft powdery amber. I have no idea what flower this would be, but my best guess is hyacinth. It is something non-heady, fresh, almost green-smelling in terms of freshness without the "green" note. In any case, it is lovely to discover this simple, fresh flower amidst the floating beauty of the fragrance. Perhaps it could be rock rose? It could be a orange or white rose, certainly not red. The scent envelopingly wraps around you like a soft fur stole, much like Musc 25 does, but the sillage doesn't reach as far in terms of radius. This wears closer to the skin. The drydown is of a less powdery, but still multi-layered, soft amber. Besides the initial half hour (and only on the first application, strangely), I got nothing else even slightly 'dirty' from this, just lovely, simple, yet complex powdery soft ambery deliciousness. If you are a diehard lover of musks or amber, you would probably enjoy this scent. I won't be buying a FB anytime soon, but my decant will certainly serve me well. I also never got vanilla from this, I am surprised it even contains it. Nor patchouli at all.... and there is no similarity to Musc Ravageur at all to my nose, but the powderiness is at times reminiscent of my favorite Musc 25 without the 'clean' smell.

About reviewer (255 reviews)

SkinDry, Other, Warm

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

3.0

10 years ago

I smell a warm, dusty, faintly sweet vanilla, powder, and . . . cabbage, unfortunately. The "cabbage accord" is, I think, how my mind registers the profusion of powder (and there's quite a bit), but I still can't always separate the vegetable from the scent. I like this on my skin at times--sometimes it does read as fairly spicy, sweet, and sexy skin scent, and other times I can't believe how much it smells like vanilla and cabbage soup. Warm and comforting, but not exactly how I'd like to smell, although I wouldn't complain if a full bottle of this magically (and freely) ended up in my bathroom. Notes: Labdanum, tonka beans, vanilla, castoreum (I actually Googled this real quick--turns out it's the secretions mixed with beaver urine? I laughed and laughed), patchouli. Notes sound about congruous with the scent--just imagine more powder, and I've actually never smelled any patchouli in this.

About reviewer (295 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinDry, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

11 years ago

Maurice Roucel is a genius, and though I don't think that Labdanum 18 is his best fragrance, I do think it's a great example of how awesome he is. Yes, this fragrance has some similarities to Musc Ravageur ... but not so many that I would automatically always think of them together, or consider one of them to be just another version of the other. If MR was too daring for you, or if the spices just weren't to your taste, then Labdanum 18 might be the perfume you're looking for. Similarly to Musc Ravageur, it walks a careful line right between daring and comforting. It's sweet, and soft, and creamy, gentle and ABSOLUTELY the sort of comfort fragrance that I always love ... but sometimes it smells a touch animalic (in the good way) or the fragrance will just change a bit over the course of its development, and head into sexier territory. I find Labdanum 18 to be cuddly, - but it's not a purely platonic cuddle. This cuddling is a prelude to something ... more naughty =P And MR is that naughtiness. And while I'm at it, Dans tes Bras is the happy morning after, while L de Lolita Lempika is what you wear when you tell your friends about it afterward. <br><br> Worn more heavily, Labdanum 18 could be a daring fragrance - just a dab is a delicious, quiet statement.

About reviewer (382 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

EyesGreen

11 years ago

This is my first experience w/ LL. I have this in the balm and perfume. I really enjoy this! On me it is very similar to H. Lang as noted by another reviewer, but this is softer and a little more sweet. This is a great comforting skin scent for me with reasonable lasting power.

About reviewer (43 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

2.0
from

11 years ago

The first couple minutes of this produced a lovely smoky resin-like/amber scent, but then that dies away and I'm left with a powdery...something, I've researched the scent and it's meant to be a powdery vanilla that I smell but for some reason the scent reminds me of cucumber and baby powder! It's nice and I keep sniffing my wrist but...let's see what drydown brings. After a short while a warm scent comes out that smells like chocolate/amber/patchouli. This is nice but not FBW for me. The powdery vanilla comes out again at the end. It's not really vanilla to me, it reminds me of a rose scented vody powder, very soft and clean. Like I said it is nice, but I certainly wouldn't fork out big bucks for this.

About reviewer (314 reviews)

HairBrunette, Other, Other

EyesHazel

2.0

11 years ago

Labdanum 18 (formerly "Ciste 18") I ordered this one mostly due to the review I had seen on YouTube. I was craving the Rose 31 for a couple of years now, but when I saw the review, I did not resist. My Labdanum arrived in a small ($54) bottle marked with my first name, which, I admit, was pretty cool. It actually looked as though I had a prescription for it! Upon my first spritz, I thought to myself, "What is this? I've HAD this before!" A couple of days later, on my way to work, it hit me--this smells exactly of HELMUT LANG cologne! Later, I came to find out that the "nose" who created Helmut Lang cologne designed Le Labo's Labdanum 18!

About reviewer (22 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Warm