INM -- Northern Lights - Hologram Top Coat

INM -- Northern Lights - Hologram Top Coat
image 1image 2image 3

4.6

on 5/25/2016 2:36:00 PM

This top coat is weird. Until you shake it up, all the glitter is settled at the bottom in a tiny little pile. At first glance it just looks like a clear nail polish until you notice the glitter at the bottom of the bottle. Then after you shake it for a few minutes and it starts to look like it might add some holographic sparkle to your mani.

Except it doesn't! The glitter particles are so sparse and so fine it's like there's hardly anything there. Imagine a much, much wimpier version of China Glaze's Fairy Dust because that's what this basically is.

And- this top coat actually made my polish chip FASTER.

Terrible stuff, I wouldn't buy it again.

Purchased from Amazon as the duo set with the gold holo too. Simply Nailogical did a "what's the best holo top coat" video and she demonstrated how different top coats have different holo disbursement when applied. If you want more glitters after the first coat use a makeup sponge (latex-free) and add some without the need for more of the suspension base, the top it with a final coat of the top coat so it is smooth.

No issues with pulling at the base polish, I used a Sally Hanson polish and let it set with 1 coat for 5 minutes before applying the Northern Lights.

To Read all 32 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/2/2016 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Fine prismatic glitter ("holographic" may be too generous), suspended in a lightweight top coat. Pretty with a dark base, and so cute in certain lighting. Not good with soft shades, though. Inexpensive, and available at Sally's Beauty Supply. It's "ok", not good or great. Maybe a 2.5 out of 5.0.

Application: the glitter is more dense than the liquid, so you have to shake the bottle. If you want another application, shake it again before application. Not that big of a deal.

Things I do not like about it:
* It pulls at the polish, so much that it can start your mani to come undone. I proved it to myself by using scotch tape. I swatched several lacquers and Northern Lights (NL) individually on the scotch tape. The area where I swatched NL crinkled up. You could see it distort the tape, and the lacquers did not.
* if you put this over a light color, indoors you see the silver glitter. It is not until you get in sun or lighting where you get to see all the lovely sparkles (so pretty). So it's not like a micro glitter.
* Did not work well with Seche Vite top coat, methinks. Why double layer top coats? Well, because NL did not seem to dry quick (enough) and Seche Vite dries all layers quickly and consistently. I do my nails at night, and need for things to work as they say.

I heard China Glaze Fairy Dust is similar, so maybe I will try that. I wound up throwing out my NL bottle in frustration one day. Oh well. That is how I felt about it. I just got tired of it pulling up my temperamental polishes, like the OPI soft shades.

on 12/22/2014 10:43:00 AM

I came across INM miniatures in the local TKMaxx. The set consisted of a clear INM topcoat and 2 INM Northern Lights (1silver and 1gold). This was such a great find. I LOVE these. Especially on a dark polish, as the subtle shimmer transforms it from ordinary to extraordinary. It is such a shame it is not widely available in the UK. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again and again...

on 5/12/2014 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had no idea this even existed until someone on Youtube mentioned it. I ran out and looked for it and wow. It's exactly what I have been searching for for a while now. Some of my polishes are very flat and I find myself not wearing them because of it. This topcoat transforms the color into a very very subtle sheen.

It has very micro fine glitter that you can barely see, but it's so pretty on top of anything. It just makes flat nail polishes stand out. I totally recommend this to people like me with some creams that are rather boring or just any polish you want to jazz up a little.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I love this topcoat. The fine glitter is smooth on the nail, and you can definitely tell its there with the subtle glimmer it gives the nails. I saw this in a tutorial and had to get it right away. Its a unique holographic/glitter topcoat like no other.

on 7/3/2013 9:32:00 PM

This is my go-to top coat! Admittedly, I do paint my nails a lot. And I use sparkles the majority of the time. This is almost ALWAYS the top coat that I use! It is absolutely gorgeous, and just dresses up any color. Another great thing is how quickly and how shiny it dries. Lastly, this top coat never peels from your color! AMAZING. Will repurchase again and again.

on 2/6/2013 9:42:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have been drooling over this top coat for several years before I actually bought it. Once I did, I wasn't disappointed at all! I love the way it looks, both by itself and as a top coat to pretty much any color. It dries unbelievably fast and it lasts decently long. My only complaint is that it peels, not like the snapping off kind of peeling either, but rather the once-it-gets-one-snag-the-entire-nailcolor-comes-off peeling. That is why I took off a point on this. I adore it, I really do, but as a topcoat alone it is a total fail. If you want a nice, fine-grained holographic sparkle though (which is what I wanted it for) it is stunning.

on 2/11/2012 6:14:00 PM

Great product though you need a trillion coats to build up a nice holo finish.

on 10/10/2011 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

What a great find! I picked this up at Sally Beauty Supply after being disappointed by the lack of pretty hologram polishes in stores right now. I also picked up Orly's 'rock solid', a medium gray with holo glitter. The latter was a disappointment - the holo glitter seems to get lost when you apply the polish. The Northern Lights topcoat, however, is amazing! I was so impressed by how quickly it dries - faster than any polish I've ever tried. I'll have to find out if they make a normal clear topcoat because the dry time is unbelievable! I applied about 6 coats to my thumb to see how much I could build up the holo effect. You do need several coats to get a really intense effect similar to OPI's My Private Jet and other extreme holo polishes, but it's really not a problem since the dry time is so fast. I'm hoping this will be easy to remove... and I think it will even though I applied so many coats, since the glitter is SO fine, as others have said. The topcoat also gives a really nice hard, shiny finish. Basically, this will turn any polish of yours into a fabulous holo polish. YAY! (I must admit I was a little confused when I saw this in the store, it said holo topcoat but it just looked clear and had what appeared to be a hologram sticker at the bottom. But that was all the glitter settled at the bottom. I've always heard it's bad to shake up nail polish bottles but this actually has a sticker on it that says "shake me up!" which is what you have to do to get the glitter to disperse).