MAC Cosmetics Velvet 6 Smoked Eyes Holiday 2006 Palette

No Image

4.6

on 12/21/2008 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is my favorite palette from MAC. I can do so many different looks with it, even some nice day looks. Usually palettes have some colors that don't work for me or throw in one or two lustres that I really dislike.

I know that smoking out the eye is easy, but this makes it a breeze. I threw this in my travel bag to do holiday eyes this year!

SHADES::
Vex is a frost that a lot of people say is a highlight, but I would never use it like that on me. Too frosty. I like this on the lid though. I think my only gripe is that there is no highlight, but it's not a huge deal to throw in a 5gram jar of something to highlight with.

Club is a satin that is a pretty reddish brown with a green sheen. Gorgeous texture and doesn't go ugly ruddy red on me like a lot of other similar shades do.

Satin Taupe is a frost that is a shimmery warm bronzey brown. Love the combinations that I can do with this one!

Malt is a matte shade. A lot of people say this is the color of their skintone and in the pan I think it is, but it goes on darker and dirty looking almost. Maybe that's because I'm fair. I like this color, but it's not a base for me.

Black Tied and Gentle Fume are both velvet shades, the first being a black with a silver sparkle and the latter a soft grey with silver sparkle. I thought I wouldn't use these much. I'm not one for sparkles in my shadows, a huge reason I stay away from UD shadows, but I get hardly any glitter all over my face. I love these!!

When I use my fluidlines with these I love going over them with these shadows or setting the liner on my waterline with them. The sparkles are pretty and the shimmery quality of Club and Satin Taupe are gorgeous and add another dimension to the look!

The packaging is pretty, but a little impractical. The charm snags and I'm afraid of getting it caught in my bag and the velvet attracts a lot of fuzz, but that's easy to clean off and the charm can be detatched so it's not a huge deal.

Out of all my palettes, this brush is the worst. The bristles were very long and I wouldn't place the color. I usually use my own brushes, but it still could be better in case I needed to run out and had limited space in my bag.

I would totally buy this palette again if I could!

on 12/28/2007 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This palette is nice for travel, but considering that I only ever use Satin Taupe and Vex, not a great investment. No special must-haves.

*Vex itself is kind of a strange highlighter, because it's so frosty. I wear it right above my iris, so it brings out the green in my eyes. Also good in the inner corners. But unwearable for me on the brow bone, because of all the fine lines.

*Malt is not light enough for covering up hangover eye, and not pink enough to bring out any color in my irises. It's kind of dusty calamine-lotion colored.

*The glittery gray and black shadows. . . I'm not into sparkly smokey eyes.

*Club is a nice parlor trick, but as a 2-in-1 I tend to think of it as a mediocre muddy brown AND an unwearable frosty alien sea-foam green. Like my old futon that was an uncomfortable couch AND an uncomfortable bed.

*And if you love Satin Taupe, you probably already know it and own it.

Overall: cute, compact, good mirror and brush, and lots of colors to choose from. This is a very fun palette to play with. But not a can't-live-without. Try the colors from the permanent line separately; don't freak out over it on eBay.

on 10/28/2007 6:41:00 PM

I like the new Smoking Eyes Quad better that was from Smoke Signals than the Smoked Eyes Palette. Wouldn't repurchase this again because all except for one shadow are part of the permanent collection. This has Malt, Vex, Satin Taupe, Club, Gentle Fume, and Black Tied. At the time I bought this, I only had Vex and Black Tied. Malt is a matte pinkish beige that doesn't suit my skin well...almost looks greyish on me. Love Vex, Club and Black Tied. Satin Taupe is okay, but I can only have so many browns and this isn't one that is anything special for me. Gentle Fume barely shows up on me except for some sparkle. I think I will stick with buying individual shadows for the most part.

on 9/15/2007 4:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is my absolute favorite all time MAC palette..The perfect combination of colors for a smokey eye that will work on everyone..Palette includes:Malt(m):matte pink based flesh color that makes an excellent base for all the other shades,Vex(f)grey based beige w/ pink and green opalescense,Satin Taupe(f) the perfect mauve based taupe w.a silver sheen,Club(s)a red based brown w/ green duochrome flash,Gentle Fume(v) a medium smokey grey that doesn't go blue on my warm/neutral complexion and finally Black Tied(v) black w/ silver sparkles..not my favorite in the palette as it's more like a lustre w/ all the sparkles then a velvet but makes a good upper lid liner(if you can get past the sparkles)So many fabulous combos..My favorite is,Malt as base,Vex to highlight and Satin Taupe in the outer V line upper lashes with Black Tied...very pretty..sometimes I just do a really simple eye with Vex and Gentle Fume which looks awesome together..Need to get another of these to have a back up**damn MAC and their LE items**

Surprisingly, I found this palette at my CCO (Sawgrass Mills,FL) for only $20.00. I passed on it during the holiday campaign for some stupid reason and kicked myself for not buying it!! Well, it found me!! All the colors are so versatile and blend very smoothly. My favorite combination is:

MALT (as a wash)
SATIN TAUPE (on mid and outer lid)
CLUB (crease)
BLACK TIED (outer lid and liner)

Simply Amazing.. Great Palette!

on 11/23/2006 12:02:00 AM

I had a makeover at the MAC one day and I asked the girl to use this palette on me and to show me how I can create looks at home with it. It is really a breeze, keeping in mind that the colors are very versatile and complement each other so well. I got this palette right then and there. Today I passed by the MAC counter again and was told that it's all sold out now. Boy, am I glad I snagged one!!!!

on 11/17/2006 10:07:00 AM

Wow. Stunning. I think that says it all, doesn't it?

Gorgeous colors that cover the smokey-eye spectrum (shimmery vanilla, matte beige, duochrome taupe/purple, duochrome brown/green, grey with microglitter, black with microglitter). These colors will work on anyone for a variety of looks, from subtle to dramatic. Simply put, this is a must-have. Run, don't walk.

on 10/29/2006 10:31:00 PM

I usually hate palettes, and I always tell myself I won't use them as often as I think. I also didn't plan on getting anything from MAC Holiday this year, even though I'm "new" in a way to MAC (this is my first MAC Holiday.. hehe as silly as that sounds). Well, I walked into my Macy's MAC and there was no way I was leaving without something. I went to look at the palettes, because I prefer them with the square e/s. Smoked just jumped out at me, and I figured it was great because I only have one e/s already that's in it (Satin Taupe) and I'd wanted at least three of the others. The SA showed me how beautiful the colors were together, and I was sold. My favorite look is Vex on the lid with Club in the crease and Black Tied on the outer corner for depth. This is so perfect for simple and dramatic smokey looks, and I am so glad I bought it. It is well worth the price, and I would repurchase if I were to in some way use this before they were sold out - but that's impossible! I've found myself using this palette almost every day since I bought it a week and a half ago. Everyone needs this palette, it contains the perfect smoked eye. Highly recommended!