MAC Cosmetics Velvet 6 Smoked Eyes Holiday 2006 Palette

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
No Image

4.4

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

So, I bought this pallette in 2006... I definitely think if you're a person that knows how to apply eyeshadow and likes smokey eyes, it's great - beautiful but unique colors, nothing too outrageous: club, satin taupe, malt - tend to be more practical colors. I, however, am an amateur at eyeshadow application and smokey eyes, so I haven't use this as it should be. But I do use the colors separately. Packaging is cute & sturdy...not that it matters b/c it's like 4 years outdated, ha.

on 5/9/2009 8:12:00 PM

I love this palette so much,but still not sure what color combinations would work for me.I'm not much of a *smokey eyed-girl*,but would love to try @ least once.For now,I just use indivual colors from this.If this happen to come around again.I would definitely repurchase ^^

I love this palette for everyday wear. I love MAC palettes, so I may be biased, but I love the colors!

on 12/28/2007 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This palette is nice for travel, but considering that I only ever use Satin Taupe and Vex, not a great investment. No special must-haves.

*Vex itself is kind of a strange highlighter, because it's so frosty. I wear it right above my iris, so it brings out the green in my eyes. Also good in the inner corners. But unwearable for me on the brow bone, because of all the fine lines.

*Malt is not light enough for covering up hangover eye, and not pink enough to bring out any color in my irises. It's kind of dusty calamine-lotion colored.

*The glittery gray and black shadows. . . I'm not into sparkly smokey eyes.

*Club is a nice parlor trick, but as a 2-in-1 I tend to think of it as a mediocre muddy brown AND an unwearable frosty alien sea-foam green. Like my old futon that was an uncomfortable couch AND an uncomfortable bed.

*And if you love Satin Taupe, you probably already know it and own it.

Overall: cute, compact, good mirror and brush, and lots of colors to choose from. This is a very fun palette to play with. But not a can't-live-without. Try the colors from the permanent line separately; don't freak out over it on eBay.

on 10/28/2007 6:41:00 PM

I like the new Smoking Eyes Quad better that was from Smoke Signals than the Smoked Eyes Palette. Wouldn't repurchase this again because all except for one shadow are part of the permanent collection. This has Malt, Vex, Satin Taupe, Club, Gentle Fume, and Black Tied. At the time I bought this, I only had Vex and Black Tied. Malt is a matte pinkish beige that doesn't suit my skin well...almost looks greyish on me. Love Vex, Club and Black Tied. Satin Taupe is okay, but I can only have so many browns and this isn't one that is anything special for me. Gentle Fume barely shows up on me except for some sparkle. I think I will stick with buying individual shadows for the most part.

on 7/1/2007 5:10:00 PM

Out of all the palettes that I own (and I have alot of them) this is in the top 3 of getting the most use. This palette is by far my favorite holiday palette from MAC. This comes with Malt, Vex, Satin Taupe, Club, Gently Fume, and Black Tied. This palette makes doing a smokey eye very easy and convenient. Even though 5/6 of these colors are permenant to the MAC line, I love having them all in one place. The packaging is also very cute. I'm really crossing my fingers that MAC does another one of these again for this holiday season!

Surprisingly, I found this palette at my CCO (Sawgrass Mills,FL) for only $20.00. I passed on it during the holiday campaign for some stupid reason and kicked myself for not buying it!! Well, it found me!! All the colors are so versatile and blend very smoothly. My favorite combination is:

MALT (as a wash)
SATIN TAUPE (on mid and outer lid)
CLUB (crease)
BLACK TIED (outer lid and liner)

Simply Amazing.. Great Palette!

on 3/28/2007 9:27:00 AM

This is the first time I've purchased a holiday palette from MAC. This one in particular, compared to the other shadow palettes, is spectacular. Completely sold out in Vancouver, I had to grab one of these babies off eBay for $10 more than its original price. Alas, it was so worth it! I'm not much of a shadow collector so this was a GREAT item to add to my collection. I could never pull off the perfect smokey eyes like other girls cause I don't really know how to apply eye shadows like the pros. This collection has solved my problem. I can now do a gorgous look for a night out. I love this!! It isn't an every day item for me, but on the weekends, this baby does me good ;-)

on 2/17/2007 9:39:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is the best e/s palette on the planet bar none. I love it so, I got two. Does a flawless smokey eye. All the colors are wearable.

I'm generally never interested in MAC holiday palettes because I feel like they always sneak in an unwearable color or two, and they end up never being used by me. This is the first palette that is comprehensive. It includes some of my all-time favorite shades (Satin Taupe, Vex, Club, Malt) as well as two other wearable colors (as previous reviewers have noted before.) Though this is a smokey eyes palette, I think there are enough neutrals so that it can be used during the day for a work-appropriate eye look.

I have a pic in my profile wearing colors from this palette. I used Shadestick in Beige-ing as a base (my favorite e/s base!), then layered Gentle Fume from lashlines to creases. I added Black Tied in the outer corners and highlighted with Pink Freeze (not in this palette, but a great highlighter color) on the browbones and inner corners. Added some black liner and mascara, and voila!

Another combo which I really like is Club on the lid, Satin Taupe in the crease, and Vex on the browbone (can also be substituted by Shroom.)

I'm glad I snatched one of these up! My only slight gripe about this palette is the packaging - the dangly stuff on the side is a bit annoying. Other than that, I'm happy with the colors and the size of the palette! continued >>