MAC Cosmetics Velvet 6 Smoked Eyes Holiday 2006 Palette

No Image

4.5

on 12/28/2007 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This palette is nice for travel, but considering that I only ever use Satin Taupe and Vex, not a great investment. No special must-haves.

*Vex itself is kind of a strange highlighter, because it's so frosty. I wear it right above my iris, so it brings out the green in my eyes. Also good in the inner corners. But unwearable for me on the brow bone, because of all the fine lines.

*Malt is not light enough for covering up hangover eye, and not pink enough to bring out any color in my irises. It's kind of dusty calamine-lotion colored.

*The glittery gray and black shadows. . . I'm not into sparkly smokey eyes.

*Club is a nice parlor trick, but as a 2-in-1 I tend to think of it as a mediocre muddy brown AND an unwearable frosty alien sea-foam green. Like my old futon that was an uncomfortable couch AND an uncomfortable bed.

*And if you love Satin Taupe, you probably already know it and own it.

Overall: cute, compact, good mirror and brush, and lots of colors to choose from. This is a very fun palette to play with. But not a can't-live-without. Try the colors from the permanent line separately; don't freak out over it on eBay.

on 11/20/2006 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

There isn't much to add to the other reviews, but I agree this is a very well thought out/coordinated palette and I adore it.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Being a recent MAC convert, I was looking to beef up my MAC eyeshadow collection and wanted something different to wear, since I'm tired of my everyday look. This collection is great--it's everything you need for a sexy smokey eye, and since everything's already paired up (the colors go together), you can't screw it up by mixing in a "wrong" color. Goes on smoothly, lasts a while and the color is rich without being garish.

Love this! I'm already planning to get the Warm Eyes Palette.

on 10/24/2006 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

What I'm crazy about is the darkest color: a soft rich black with silver shimmer. So hot! $36 is a lot to spend on eyeshadow (at least for me), but I justified it by telling myself that 1) it's a Limited Edition, and 2) all the colors are very wearable, unlike Suedette, the other compact I wanted that had the crazy aqua color. And really, it breaks down to only $6 per color, right?