MAC Cosmetics Velvet 6 Smoked Eyes Holiday 2006 Palette

Filtered by skin type : Combination
No Image

4.7

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

So, I bought this pallette in 2006... I definitely think if you're a person that knows how to apply eyeshadow and likes smokey eyes, it's great - beautiful but unique colors, nothing too outrageous: club, satin taupe, malt - tend to be more practical colors. I, however, am an amateur at eyeshadow application and smokey eyes, so I haven't use this as it should be. But I do use the colors separately. Packaging is cute & sturdy...not that it matters b/c it's like 4 years outdated, ha.

on 5/9/2009 8:12:00 PM

I love this palette so much,but still not sure what color combinations would work for me.I'm not much of a *smokey eyed-girl*,but would love to try @ least once.For now,I just use indivual colors from this.If this happen to come around again.I would definitely repurchase ^^

I love this palette for everyday wear. I love MAC palettes, so I may be biased, but I love the colors!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I liked this palette enough to but a second one. It didn't bother me that all but one of the shadows were from the permanent line because the only one I had was Club (which is one of my favorites, so I didn't mind having an extra pan of it).
This palette has a versatile array of shades that I have personally combined to create a beautiful "daytime" eye, a punchy party look, or an all out gothic smokey eye. I'm sure the imagination is the limit with this one!
This palette has 6 colours, and they all have excellent to good textures:
Club (satin) is a fabulous reddish brown with a green shimmer coming through (when used wet the shimmer really comes out). It is great for use for lining the eye, in the crease or all over the lid depending on the look you wish to achieve.
Vex (frost) is a pretty soft whitish grey with a hint of pink/green shimmer coming through. I think this is wonderful as a brow highlighter, but also all over the lid as a base if you want to try an all out gothic smokey eye.
Satin Taupe (frost) is a warm brown with a bronze shimmer. This color is utterly gorgeous and is versatile for use as a day or night shadow. The shimmer in this shadow can be subtle to showy depending on how light/generous you are when applying this.
Malt (matte) is an understated pinky beige colour that I useful on its own or as a base shadow underneath a more dramatic look. When I bought this palette, I thought I wouldn't use this one as much, but I find I use it in almost every combination I do with this palette.
Black Tied (velvet) is black with a silver sparkle. I'm not much of a fan of this texture, but I generally use it for lining and contouring the eye.
Gentle Fume (velvet) is the only limited edition shade in this palette (also been repromoted in MAC's gentle fume quad from the smoke signals collection). It a soft grey with silver sparkle and it is a pretty color but again I'm not thrilled with the texture. Again it can be used for a variety of looks ranging from demure to daring.
The packaging is cute: velvet top and little beaded MAC charm hanging from the side. I don't like the charm bit so I removed it (it kept getting snagged in my bag). I also have to run a piece of sticky tape over the velvet top every so often to keep it looking "respectable" as the velvet likes to collect dust. Other than this, the container itself is quite sturdy and user friendly. It sits nicely in the hand when using it.
This palette was limited edition, but fortunately most of the colors are obtainable from the permanent line. I highly recommend them as top contenders if someone is putting together a custom palette for their versatility. I would repurchase again if I could (I'm onto my second palette now:)).

on 10/28/2007 6:41:00 PM

I like the new Smoking Eyes Quad better that was from Smoke Signals than the Smoked Eyes Palette. Wouldn't repurchase this again because all except for one shadow are part of the permanent collection. This has Malt, Vex, Satin Taupe, Club, Gentle Fume, and Black Tied. At the time I bought this, I only had Vex and Black Tied. Malt is a matte pinkish beige that doesn't suit my skin well...almost looks greyish on me. Love Vex, Club and Black Tied. Satin Taupe is okay, but I can only have so many browns and this isn't one that is anything special for me. Gentle Fume barely shows up on me except for some sparkle. I think I will stick with buying individual shadows for the most part.

on 7/1/2007 5:10:00 PM

Out of all the palettes that I own (and I have alot of them) this is in the top 3 of getting the most use. This palette is by far my favorite holiday palette from MAC. This comes with Malt, Vex, Satin Taupe, Club, Gently Fume, and Black Tied. This palette makes doing a smokey eye very easy and convenient. Even though 5/6 of these colors are permenant to the MAC line, I love having them all in one place. The packaging is also very cute. I'm really crossing my fingers that MAC does another one of these again for this holiday season!

on 3/28/2007 9:27:00 AM

This is the first time I've purchased a holiday palette from MAC. This one in particular, compared to the other shadow palettes, is spectacular. Completely sold out in Vancouver, I had to grab one of these babies off eBay for $10 more than its original price. Alas, it was so worth it! I'm not much of a shadow collector so this was a GREAT item to add to my collection. I could never pull off the perfect smokey eyes like other girls cause I don't really know how to apply eye shadows like the pros. This collection has solved my problem. I can now do a gorgous look for a night out. I love this!! It isn't an every day item for me, but on the weekends, this baby does me good ;-)

on 2/24/2007 3:26:00 PM

this palette is gorgeous and I love how most of the colors are permanant. It includes colors like CLub and Vex which I never would have tried had they not been in this palette - they are gorgeous on! I adore this palette and cna bring this when I go away and know that i will be able to do my eye makeup great all the time! I highly reccoment this and would repurchase had it not been limited edition.

on 2/17/2007 9:39:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is the best e/s palette on the planet bar none. I love it so, I got two. Does a flawless smokey eye. All the colors are wearable.

on 12/28/2006 9:33:00 PM

This was the only MAC holiday item that I fell in love with, and for good reason! This palette is full of beautiful colors that are very versatile. This palette can take you from day to night, the shadows are highly pigmented and long-lasting, and if you can find one of these, it's definitely worth picking up!

Colors: Malt is an excellent base color, vex makes a wonderful highlighter on the brow bone and inner corner of the eye (best applied with a pinky finger, I've found), and satin taupe is a lovely shade on the lower lid or in the crease, depending on the look you're going for. I use gentle fume (the only LE color in the palette) and black tied for an awesome gray smokey eye. The only color I'm not a huge fan of is club, but I'm in the minority on that one.