MAC Cosmetics Velvet 6 Smoked Eyes Holiday 2006 Palette

No Image

4.7

on 5/9/2009 8:12:00 PM

I love this palette so much,but still not sure what color combinations would work for me.I'm not much of a *smokey eyed-girl*,but would love to try @ least once.For now,I just use indivual colors from this.If this happen to come around again.I would definitely repurchase ^^

on 12/21/2008 3:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is my favorite palette from MAC. I can do so many different looks with it, even some nice day looks. Usually palettes have some colors that don't work for me or throw in one or two lustres that I really dislike.

I know that smoking out the eye is easy, but this makes it a breeze. I threw this in my travel bag to do holiday eyes this year!

SHADES::
Vex is a frost that a lot of people say is a highlight, but I would never use it like that on me. Too frosty. I like this on the lid though. I think my only gripe is that there is no highlight, but it's not a huge deal to throw in a 5gram jar of something to highlight with.

Club is a satin that is a pretty reddish brown with a green sheen. Gorgeous texture and doesn't go ugly ruddy red on me like a lot of other similar shades do.

Satin Taupe is a frost that is a shimmery warm bronzey brown. Love the combinations that I can do with this one!

Malt is a matte shade. A lot of people say this is the color of their skintone and in the pan I think it is, but it goes on darker and dirty looking almost. Maybe that's because I'm fair. I like this color, but it's not a base for me.

Black Tied and Gentle Fume are both velvet shades, the first being a black with a silver sparkle and the latter a soft grey with silver sparkle. I thought I wouldn't use these much. I'm not one for sparkles in my shadows, a huge reason I stay away from UD shadows, but I get hardly any glitter all over my face. I love these!!

When I use my fluidlines with these I love going over them with these shadows or setting the liner on my waterline with them. The sparkles are pretty and the shimmery quality of Club and Satin Taupe are gorgeous and add another dimension to the look!

The packaging is pretty, but a little impractical. The charm snags and I'm afraid of getting it caught in my bag and the velvet attracts a lot of fuzz, but that's easy to clean off and the charm can be detatched so it's not a huge deal.

Out of all my palettes, this brush is the worst. The bristles were very long and I wouldn't place the color. I usually use my own brushes, but it still could be better in case I needed to run out and had limited space in my bag.

I would totally buy this palette again if I could!

on 11/15/2008 5:37:00 PM

PROS: My favorite palette from MAC and own about 20. Creates a beautiful smoky eye easily. Colors are super smooth & pigmented. I actually love every shade in the palette except 1, which never happens. The only other thing you need is mascara to complete the look. I love that the packaging is cute, durable and compact...great from travel (or your handbag)!

CONS: Gentle Fume is a somewhat redundant color. Kinda close to Satin Taupe but not as pretty. I would have preferred another lighter highlight shade or maybe a deep green or something to change things up occasionally. The brush that comes inside is kinda dinky. I use my own full size brushes instead.

I love this palette for everyday wear. I love MAC palettes, so I may be biased, but I love the colors!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I liked this palette enough to but a second one. It didn't bother me that all but one of the shadows were from the permanent line because the only one I had was Club (which is one of my favorites, so I didn't mind having an extra pan of it).
This palette has a versatile array of shades that I have personally combined to create a beautiful "daytime" eye, a punchy party look, or an all out gothic smokey eye. I'm sure the imagination is the limit with this one!
This palette has 6 colours, and they all have excellent to good textures:
Club (satin) is a fabulous reddish brown with a green shimmer coming through (when used wet the shimmer really comes out). It is great for use for lining the eye, in the crease or all over the lid depending on the look you wish to achieve.
Vex (frost) is a pretty soft whitish grey with a hint of pink/green shimmer coming through. I think this is wonderful as a brow highlighter, but also all over the lid as a base if you want to try an all out gothic smokey eye.
Satin Taupe (frost) is a warm brown with a bronze shimmer. This color is utterly gorgeous and is versatile for use as a day or night shadow. The shimmer in this shadow can be subtle to showy depending on how light/generous you are when applying this.
Malt (matte) is an understated pinky beige colour that I useful on its own or as a base shadow underneath a more dramatic look. When I bought this palette, I thought I wouldn't use this one as much, but I find I use it in almost every combination I do with this palette.
Black Tied (velvet) is black with a silver sparkle. I'm not much of a fan of this texture, but I generally use it for lining and contouring the eye.
Gentle Fume (velvet) is the only limited edition shade in this palette (also been repromoted in MAC's gentle fume quad from the smoke signals collection). It a soft grey with silver sparkle and it is a pretty color but again I'm not thrilled with the texture. Again it can be used for a variety of looks ranging from demure to daring.
The packaging is cute: velvet top and little beaded MAC charm hanging from the side. I don't like the charm bit so I removed it (it kept getting snagged in my bag). I also have to run a piece of sticky tape over the velvet top every so often to keep it looking "respectable" as the velvet likes to collect dust. Other than this, the container itself is quite sturdy and user friendly. It sits nicely in the hand when using it.
This palette was limited edition, but fortunately most of the colors are obtainable from the permanent line. I highly recommend them as top contenders if someone is putting together a custom palette for their versatility. I would repurchase again if I could (I'm onto my second palette now:)).

on 9/15/2007 4:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is my absolute favorite all time MAC palette..The perfect combination of colors for a smokey eye that will work on everyone..Palette includes:Malt(m):matte pink based flesh color that makes an excellent base for all the other shades,Vex(f)grey based beige w/ pink and green opalescense,Satin Taupe(f) the perfect mauve based taupe w.a silver sheen,Club(s)a red based brown w/ green duochrome flash,Gentle Fume(v) a medium smokey grey that doesn't go blue on my warm/neutral complexion and finally Black Tied(v) black w/ silver sparkles..not my favorite in the palette as it's more like a lustre w/ all the sparkles then a velvet but makes a good upper lid liner(if you can get past the sparkles)So many fabulous combos..My favorite is,Malt as base,Vex to highlight and Satin Taupe in the outer V line upper lashes with Black Tied...very pretty..sometimes I just do a really simple eye with Vex and Gentle Fume which looks awesome together..Need to get another of these to have a back up**damn MAC and their LE items**

on 7/1/2007 5:10:00 PM

Out of all the palettes that I own (and I have alot of them) this is in the top 3 of getting the most use. This palette is by far my favorite holiday palette from MAC. This comes with Malt, Vex, Satin Taupe, Club, Gently Fume, and Black Tied. This palette makes doing a smokey eye very easy and convenient. Even though 5/6 of these colors are permenant to the MAC line, I love having them all in one place. The packaging is also very cute. I'm really crossing my fingers that MAC does another one of these again for this holiday season!

on 6/15/2007 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

This palette taught me that smokey eyes can be achieved easily. I'm so so glad i got this. Before this palette, i hated doing smokey eyes, coz i always end up with just black eyeshadow all over my lids - which was not very flattering. Then i stumbled upon this piece of art :) Ever since, i have appreciated smokey eyes *on me* lol. My fav. combo with this palette is:

Malt as a wash - this evens out my eyelid's skintone really well.
Satin taupe on entire lid. This creates a smokey look instantly without being too harsh.
Club as the outer V of the eye.
Black tied on crease and a little on the V.
Gentle fume on just a little on the inner corner - but honestly this is pretty useless togather with Vex which i don't use from this palette. Instead i use vanilla pigment as a browbone highlighter.

This whole look looks perfect with a peach lipstick. Nudes work fine too, but i personally prefer peaches. A very good buy, and for those who can get it, do grab it otherwise u can always make a quad out of the colours since only 1 of the shade is LE.

For reference, I'm a GGG NC40ish.

Surprisingly, I found this palette at my CCO (Sawgrass Mills,FL) for only $20.00. I passed on it during the holiday campaign for some stupid reason and kicked myself for not buying it!! Well, it found me!! All the colors are so versatile and blend very smoothly. My favorite combination is:

MALT (as a wash)
SATIN TAUPE (on mid and outer lid)
CLUB (crease)
BLACK TIED (outer lid and liner)

Simply Amazing.. Great Palette!

on 3/2/2007 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Well MUA , you've done it again. I passed up this palette at least three times during the Holiday Promotion, because the colors didn't really jump out at me. Besides, I had a ton of shadows with which I could do a "smokey eye". But I went on MUA, saw the fab reveiws and became a lemming for it. I snatched up the last one at the MAC store in Georgetown and now I am sooo glad I have it! Love it ! Mean it!