Physicians Formula Pearls of Perfection Multi-Colored Highlighter

No Image

4.3

on 4/3/2009 12:03:00 AM

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

I discovered this by recommendation. I am a private tutor and during a lesson with a new student I found myself absolutely mesmerized by her skin, which was glowing radiantly before me. She had powdered her whole face with this gorgeous, faintly pearly sheen that was stunningly beautiful. When she told me she had an eighteen year old nephew and that she was turning forty next year, I was floored. I thought she was twenty-five at the most! So, I had to ask, what was she using on her skin? Pearls she told me, and not the expensive ones. Sold! I would have been sold if she'd told me they were expensive and I'm a bargain hunter.

She told me her routine was this: skin care, light foundation, powder on nose and then an all over dusting with the pearls, even the under-eye area. It diminishes the look of wrinkles. Her sister is a make-up artist and taught her this trick.

I ran off immediately after the lesson, consulted Make-up Alley to see who makes pearls, though I suspected PF, then ran to Shoppers Drug Mart and bought this. I've been wearing it, using the Eco Tools Powder Brush. It's easier than my old highlighter routine, which was mixing liquid highlighter with foundation, albeit that was more natural looking. However, this is more youthful looking and makes my dry under-eye lines disappear. It doesn't cake at all, unlike other powders, including my Mac Blot powder, which I had been using under my eyes.

This can be used minimally for a translucent glow, or built up for a more obvious highlighted effect. I like to use a little bit all over my face, with more between my nose and cheeks and on my cheekbones. There are three shades available to suit your skin tone. I'm NC/W 15, use the Light shade and it's a perfect fit.

It's expensive at $20 CAD, but worth it for a quality hypoallergenic product that looks so beautiful. I plan on buying two back-ups as soon as it goes on sale. The packaging is minimalist; a turn off top with a sponge inside you can remove if you are not carrying them in your bag.

I looked at Gosh's pearls while I was in SDM and they were a) very dark and b) very soft. Out of sheer curiosity I looked at 8 different jars and almost half of every jar was crumbled, meaning that the product is too soft and will likely cake on the skin. PF's powder is nice and sheer and feels naked on.
Edit: I am taking this down to a 4 because while I love the effect, it does take awhile to get enough of the Pearl powder on your brush to get said effect. My Mac MSF is faster. However, I still love this product and use it on days when I have more time.

on 6/10/2006 9:11:00 PM

Bought this because Guerlain Les Meteorites contain an ingredient I'm allergic to. The PF is purely 'fine Italian talc'. It does give the same radiant glow as Les Meteorites and evens out skin tone. I was pleasantly surprised and got this on sale to boot. The SA told me it will last a long time. I use my 'good' Jane Iredale powder brush to apply which probably makes a difference in the effect. Container is also more sturdy than Les Meteorites which is cheap cardboard.

It takes some effort to pick up enough product on my powder brush, but I do love the effect on my skin (PPP, NW15). This leaves me with a really nice glow (not shimmery) that's very natural looking. I sometimes use a little of this to set my sheer, dewy liquid foundation instead of regular powder. It seems to help the foundation last longer without adding a matte effect. Still, I can't see myself repurchasing this in the future. I just don't like paying this much for a drugstore product that's good but not outstanding.