Ben Nye Lip Color Pencil -- Really Red

No Image

3.8

on 4/23/2017 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have a different shade - a more neutral shade and I dislike this. I am a fan of Ben nye powders and other products, but I was surprised at how hard and waxy this was texture wise. Really uncomfortable to apply. Also the shade is lighter on the mouth than in the pencil. Maybe I have a dud, since other reviews mention that it's creamy enough to use as a lip color. The pencil I sometimes use to fill in my whole lip is the fatter one by elf.

I purchased this colour for the sake of a rockabilly look and some photo shoots, and the pigment department did not let me down. This is a true red, doesn't photograph too orange or too blue. Also, for ten dollars you get a 7" pencil, which is unheard of in most places. I just expected more of Ben Nye in the performance department. I know this is a theatrical brand, most of which I am familiar, but I have warnings if you want to purchase said lip pencil. Make sure your lips are very prepped, as in exfoliated and healthy, but with absolutely no balm nor primer. This pencil is meant to be applied onto dry lips and worn matte. If any moisture such as gloss comes into contact it will transfer, smear, and run. Apply to the whole lip, set with a translucent powder, reapply, and set lightly once more for a long lasting finish. I repeat, making sure your lips are in perfect condition prior to applying, will keep this beautiful velvet kiss on your face. If this is not for a photo shoot and you are going out, the formula is perfect for gals that can sit there like a china doll that can handle a straw. I just expected this product to be a little more versatile. I'd love to showcase this pigment with shine, but will have to look elsewhere. Next stop, Cinema Secrets and Maqpro for a higher wax quantity.

Good, and cheap, and lasts! Lots of product in the pencil.

on 10/9/2006 5:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I'm not sure if this is an actual "liner" because it doesn't say so. Plus it's really creamy for a liner. Anyway, the name says it all: Really Red. This makes the perfect matte true red lipstick used all by itself. Normally when I use liner as lipstick, I slick on some balm first for easy application. This is a long pencil, and I got it at Naimie's for $6.