The Skin Type Solution - Leslie Baumann MD

3.4

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This book is good but not perfect. I like how it goes into detail about skin types. When I take the test I come out as OSNW or oily, sensitive, non-pigmented and wrinkled. However, I just know I'm a pigmented type, because I'm prone to age spots. She seems to indicate that people who only burn and never tan are non-pigmented types. I'm obviously an exception. I also read the OSPW chapter, but found it hard to relate because I'm light complected and can't tan. I also read the DSNW and DSPW chapters and found things I could relate to in those chapters. A lot of the product selections are either discontinued or inappropriate. To get the most out of the book, I recommend reading all the chapters. I definitely found characteristics I share with more than one type.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is a book that is in desperate need of an update as all of the product recommendations are wildly out of date. It was first published in 2006 and was last copyrighted in 2010 (I purchased the eBook version, BTW). As such, while it's technically still in print, it's not useful for specific product recommendations (and even the ones that were recommended nearly 10 years ago don't always seem appropriate...I definitely had some sketiptical "hmmm" moments while reading).

Its usefulness is mainly in terms of going beyond the basic skin types of normal, combo, oily and dry and refining them into 16 more specific ones, denoted by where you fall on the dry vs. normal, resistant vs. sensitive, pigmented vs. non-pigmented, and wrinkled vs. tight spectrums.

Disappointingly, the book makes reference to an online version of the test, which is currently not available. For now, you must manually take the test and score your answers the old-fashioned way (test is in the 3rd chapter of the book).

For my skin type (according to the skin type test, DRNT (dry, resistant, non-pigmented and tight), but straddling the line into DRNW), the advice was more a confirmation/validation of my approach to skincare. I didn't gain any significant insights, although it was nice to confirm that I'm on the right track with the things that I already do. I moisturize rather obsessively, and apparently that's basically what I need to focus on. Okie dokes!

As far as the book goes, it consists of a couple of introductory chapters, the test, and then 16 chapters covering the 16 skin sub-types, with advice and specific (but outdated!) product recommendations. You will probably find that only the first three chapters, plus the chapter specific to your skin type, and maybe a chapter or two where you straddle the line in some areas, are useful to you personally. Even then, the information is kind of basic and if you're on here, you probably won't learn that much.

Do I recommend _The Skin Type Solution_? Not enthusiastically and I definitely don't think it's worth shelling out money to purchase given the outdatedness of it. I would only recommend checking this out from a library, or skimming the relevant portions at a bookstore. The bulk of the book consists of outdated product recommendations, mixed in with advice that is sort of good but also out-of-date and not revolutionary.

However, I do think there's some value in identifying and knowing your skin subtype beyond the basic four categories. It would be nice to be able to refine my MUA skin type listing since "normal" is a little overly broad, but DRNT/W would be pretty accurate (and help give more context to stuff I've reviewed).

I love the book, but I would not go for the products she recommends in the book. But it's a good way to find out what skin type you have and your skin types pros and cons etc.

So if you are interested in learning about skin types and so on, this is a great buy!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

This is a library read. Not a purchase, although I did buy it. It's a great book in some ways, helping understand skin types and various challenges, and how best to care for your particular skin BUT

here is why I say library loan only. Or at least try it there BEFORE you buy.

Most of the recommended products are expensive and or don't work like she says. At least for my skin.

For example (I'm DTSP which means dry, tight, sensitive and pigmented) for my type, she recommends Aveeno which due to my soy sensitivity perhaps???? absolutely didn't work, and made my redness worse.

And some things she said to avoid-- retinoids for example, are a real help. Or peels. I find using the Olay cream with BHA (on my notepad, cant' remember the exact name) is extremely helpful and got rid of several stubborn sebbhorheic keratoses on my face. (and kept them from coming back)

And MOST of what she recommends is hard to find outside of the big city, or it's super expensive or both.

Paula Begoun's Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter various versions (I try to keep up with this one, it's a great reference) and the reviews here on MUA have been much more helpful in terms of refining what I put on my face. (I keep a current list of what I'm using and doing on my notepad).

If I lost the book, I wouldn't rebuy it. However some things in there are quite helpful.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I bought this book probably 5 years ago and was really into it. I have always had problems with acne and was looking for the ellusive "miracle cure". I took the quiz and was OSNW. I followed the regime and it was OK, but not life-altering. Then I got pregnant and the doctor put some restrictions on topical products when I was pregnant. I forgot about the regime and about the book, to be honest. (Obviously it was not that life-shattering of a book if I forgot it was under my bed for several years.)

A few days ago, I got the book out once again because I saw it peeping its head out from under the bed. "Oh, yeah, I remember that book," I thought. I took the quiz again for fun, and I came out OSPT! Weird! I didn't think your type changed. So, I'm guessing I misinterpretted the questions while I took the quiz. As for pigmented vs non-pigmented, I am fair, but have noticed more freckles and dark spots. Also, I remember that I used to think that I only burned, but I do tan after the initial burn of summer (try to avoid those now). Tight vs wrinkled? Well, I remember being 25 and classified as "wrinkled" and feeling devastated lol! How can it be that 5 years later I am tight? I remember for at least one question that I might have rated my grandma wrong. She looks like an old lady b/c of her haircut, but if I think of her skin, she is at her age or younger. Maybe that had enough to impact the overall score? I'm guessing that I could go either way with those two categories.

Overall, this book was good for me because it helped me recognize that my skin is sensitive. I have had far better luck with the recommendation from MUA and from my Paula's Choice Clear. I would buy again because I love skincare books.

I agree with several reviews that stated that her recommendations are not stellar. I didn't like many of her recommendations. I like a face wash that I can use to remove eye makeup, and most of her recs did not allow for this as they contained BP or SA. Also, her website is very poorly maintained and seems to have several "come back tomorrow" notices.

Some recs for my skin were: philosophy supernatural foundation (hated it bc no coverage, no staying power, & is a powder formulation), Neutrogena Adv. Solns. Acne Kit (useless). She does recommend Differen gel (prescription) and I do like that. Paula Begoun seems to understand my skin better than Dr. Baumann and I follow her recommendations more regularly.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I read this book at the bookstore and took notes since I didn't want to buy it. While some of the information was helpful (particularly finding out that my skin is Resistant--which means most products have little effect), I agree with some other posters that other parts were contradictory and confusing. Also, even though I read the book when it had just come out, many of the products (I'd say 50% of the ones recommended for me) were already discontinued, which was frustrating.

On the plus side, this book did save me some money by causing me to focus on the basics of skincare and not waste more money on fancy products that probably won't work for me. I suggest visiting her Website (skintypesolution.com) where you can take the same quiz for free and get recommendations which should be more current than the ones in the book.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Just like the last reviewer I am a DSPW (which I kind of knew before reading Dr. Baumann's The Skin Type Solution, but wasn't sure what to try next). I did read the entire book and changed my skin care routine to some of the products and routine she recommends. I must tell you that my skin has indeed improved. Noxzema on my sensitive skin? Yep, it's working for me and has cleared some of the stubborn, mainly unnoticeable acne I could always feel in my cheek area. If, like me, you keep buying products that do not work for your skin type, this book is for you. It's saving me $$$ and my skin has never been better. I bought my copy from Amazon.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

PRODUCT INFORMATION: "Forget everything you thought you knew about what's good for your skin--and learn the truth. Take the simple questionnaire inside this book and within minutes discover your true skin type, the ingredients to avoid, the products that are right especially for you, and your new time-and-money-saving regimen.

" World-renowned Miami Beach dermatologist Dr. Leslie Baumann takes the guesswork out of skin care and provides the information you need to choose among the hundreds of products and brand names on the market today. Now you can have healthy, radiant skin at a price that suits both your complexion and your pocketbook. This book is the next best thing to having your own personal skin care adviser.
• Your personal skin type profile detailing exactly what will work--and what won't--for your unique complexion.
• A product guide to nearly 200 name brands and 1,000 products suited to every skin type and budget, including cleansers, moisturizers, toners, sun blocks, foundations, and much more.
• Tips on preventing skin aging and "problem" skin.
• The latest on the new world of prescription products, facials, chemical peels, Retin-A, Botox, and Restylane injections.

In total, there are 19 chapters (first three are introduction and the Baumann questionnaire). Each chapter includes the following:
• About your skin type.
• Specific skin concerns for your skin type.
• List of typical symptoms.
• Recommended daily skin care regiment.
• Lists of recommended products (cleansers, toners, spot treatments, moisturizers, serums, retinol products, eye creams, masks, exfoliants, sunscreens, makeup ingredients to use and avoid).
• Cosmetic procedures for your skin type.

MY THOUGHTS: I purchased a used paperback copy of Dr. Leslie Baumann's The Skin Type Solution (2006) from Barnes & Noble for $6.38 CAD.

Prior to reading this book I was aware of the products on the market and which ones were favourites on MakeUpAlley; however, I wasn't able to apply that knowledge to organize a specific regiment for myself. I wasn't too concerned about the product recommendations (visit www.skintypesolutions.com for latest recommendations) as I was with understanding each skin type and ingredients to recognize.

Even after completing the Baumann questionnaire, I found that reading each chapter was much more helpful to my overall understanding than just referring to a specific chapter. Unfortunately, Baumann doesn't organize the book by skin issues (i.e. pigmentation, rosacea, melanoma) but rather by the results from answering the questionnaire (i.e. OSPW, DRNT). Within each chapter she mentions issues that your skin type may encounter. This is why I encourage others to read the whole book rather than their specific chapter.

Even though I agree with the eight skin type characteristics, I believe there are other factors that have yet to be identified which contributes to the uniqueness of each skin type (i.e. hormone fluctuations, change of season). Nonetheless, her recommendations for my skin type (OSPW) helped clear up my skin. After incorporating BHA and zinc into my regiment (i.e. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment, Everyday Minerals, Shiseido sunscreen), I noticed the inflammation on my forehead and chin subsided within a couple days.

Note: prior to using or purchasing a product, obtain a sample to perform a patch test. This especially goes out to those with sensitive skin types.

Now there are a few disadvantages to this book. For one, MUA is a better resource in regards to retinoids and UVA sunscreens (see Notepads). In addition, as Hapapower mentioned in their review, "MUA has a great cross-section of the population, with real experiences."

Like others have mentioned in their reviews, I would recommend you either borrow this book from one of your local libraries, or purchase it at discount (Half.com, eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, Book-Off). If you are still curious to learn more about skin care after reading this book, I would recommend reading Dr. Leslie Baumann's Cosmetic Dermatology: Principles and Practice. continued >>

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I read an older version of this book from my local library. This book illustrates some very important points about skin typing and I agree with most of her recommendations. The product list suggestions were quite a narrow range. I checked the product reviews on the suggested products and some had poor ratings. It's hard to keep up to date with products in a book versus a website. But overall I would suggest anyone to read this book to skin type themselves and better understand their skin.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

My sister has rosacea and was searching for what seems like ages to find what worked for her. This was recommended to her by a friend, and when I saw how wonderful my sister's skin was looking, i had to also give in & buy my own (she wouldnt part with hers). I purchased it for $1 on half.com... so it was really very reasonable.

Yes, some of the products are discontinued, and I find that I will instinctively stick with what I have found works for me, because there is a lot of trial and error in dealing with ANY skin type. I am a DSPW and wasn't terribly surprised by that (except for the w part). It's nice to have everything broken down... in no nonsense terms.

I have also shared my copy w/a few friends.