MAC Magenta

MAC Magenta

4.7

on 10/6/2006 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Wow! Don't even consider this one unless 1)You want pure, vivid, unapologetic C-O-L-O-R, 2)You have "cool" coloring(there are pronounced blue tones to this one), and 3)You have no qualms about brights.

Until recently, this was a Pro product, but now it's been made more easily obtainable by the rest of us by its addition to the powder blush offerings on maccosmetics.com.

I can see why it was formerly a Pro product. The color is intense. I haven't actually tried it on yet, but I can tell that I'm going to need to tread carefully with this one. How to describe the color? The dictionary defines "magenta" as " a deep purplish red," and there ya go! "Magenta," a very heavily-pigmented, absolutely matte pressed powder blush, is of a color somewhere in between MAC's "Girl About Town" and "Stiletto" lipsticks. NOO brown in this blush! I expect it to be a wonderful face-brightener on me( NW15, dark brown hair, green eyes), but those who want sheer and soft should probably avoid this one.

Given the huge size of MAC's blushes, and the generous pigmentation of this one, I'll probably never run out, although I plan to wear it a lot, year round. If I ever do need more, though, I'll gladly repurchase.

UPDATE: Okay, I tried it on, and the trickiness turned out not to be with the vividness of the shade, so much as the darkness of it. Applied lightly, with a good fluffy brush, "Magenta" is a deep, clear pinky plum color, perfect for Fall.

My "5 lippies" and "re-purchase" ratings definitely still stand! This one is well worth checking out if you're not put off by bold color.

UPDATE: I've worn this several times in the short time(about 10 days) that I've had it, and while I really love this clear vivid color, it can be a tricky one. It would be easy to achieve that dreaded "clown" look with Magenta, and I'm not sure that it would work on those with warm coloring. It is a very purple-toned blush, with lots of intensity. Most people will probably either love this one or hate it. Personally, I love it!
UPDATE: Shortly after I wrote this review, "Magenta" became once again a Pro product. Of course, you can still get it; it's just a little more difficult if you don't have a Pro card.
FURTHER NOTE: When applying this and other intensely-colored powder blushes, I employ what I facetiously refer to as "Crafty Carla's Tame-the-Wild-Blush Trick:"
When applying an especially intense blush, I do the following: First I apply my foundation, then powder my entire face lightly with loose translucent powder(I use a mixture of Avon's Personal Match and Pure Luxe's Translucent Matte), paying special attention to the cheek areas. Then I dip my blush brush lightly into the translucent powder, tap off excess. Then I swirl my brush into the blush, and tap off excess. Then I "whisk" my blush brush lightly over my cheeks. The result is a soft "wash" of the original magenta, fuchsia, red, etc.
EDIT: If you really *love* the result you get from the above apply- powder-alternately-with-blush method above, then by all means, do it.

BUT, lately I've discovered that using a good fan brush(I love my Paula Dorf one) to apply your blush in the first place will do just about as well, and is quicker. The part about making sure your face is smooth and lightly powdered prior to blush application still goes, though.

continued >>

on 4/30/2012 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I love, love, LOVE this blush. The color looks beautiful on my darker skin tone and shows up more plummy then a pinky purple. Even with a warm undertone, the cool color still looks great on. The staying power is pretty good, and the shade is quite buildable. I would say you get about 4 to 5 hours of full color.

on 4/27/2012 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this blush. When I first saw it in my local MAC I was very skeptical. I am NC15 for reference, so pretty fair skinned and this blush looks very true to the name DEFINITELY MAGENTA. The MUA recommended it and told me not to be afraid, she applied it with an extremely light hand and then handed me the mirror. I'm not going to lie I was expecting bozo the clown. To my suprize, WHEN APPLIED WITH AN EXTREMELY LIGHT HAND this blush is beautiful. on all skin types. I cant even describe the color it's just a beautiful flushed look. I may never hit the pan because the blush is SO PIGMENTED, but if it ever comes back out or becomes a part of the permanent line I will re-purchase.

on 7/20/2012 11:20:00 AM

My first MAC blush and I love it. I agree that it's a shocking color in the pan, but once applied (with light hand ladies!) it gives a gorgeous pink color which I think is great hue for both light & warm skintones. A light tap on the product gets enough & it can easily be overdone if you don't know what your doing :) coz it's heavily pigmented. Very light strokes with a blush brush is the best way to not make yourself look clownish.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

A true magenta colour. Looks scary on the pan but gorgeous when applied with a light hand. The MA at mac recommended it to me. At first I was skeptical because of the bright colour but as soon as she swatched it on my cheeks, I was immediately sold. It looks natural, never patchy. The trick is to dip the brush once and apply with a light hand. Its always easier to build the colour up than toning it down. I don't think I will repurchase as you only need a tiny amount of product for it to show up. I won't probably run out anytime soon.

on 4/22/2012 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I love this blush, but it a very finicky blush as well. I got this as a part of the Reel Sexy collection. As soon as I saw product pictures I knew I had to have it, in the pan it is a very blue based magenta/fuschia color. I odnt have anything like it. Im NW50 btw. One of my gripes about it, is that it does not look the same way on the skin that it does in the pan. On the skin, all of the blue-ness (that I loved mined you) dissapears and it becomes more dark pink/red if anything. Also its very easy to get the clown look with this blush. I only tap my brush into it once and still, straight Bozo The Clown. Now I bought a stipling brush and the application is so much better. I think this color is very pretty on WOC. There arent alot of blushes on the market that are like this one. Also this blush is harder to blend than my other blushes. Idk why that it is. So overall its a nice blush, not necessaey, but good to have, but just be prepared to baby, and coax this blush some to get it to look the way you want it.

UPDATE 11/6/12: After this sitting in my blush drawer for some time. I decided to put it up for swap. I love my MAC blushes, but this one did not live up to the repuation. Instead I got LaFemme - Magenta. Now this blush is everything that I expected the MAC one to be and at a fraction of the price