Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette

Filtered by hair type : Wavy age: 30-35
Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette

4.2

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 3/9/2014 2:40:00 PM

Ammo was a palette I wanted the first time it launched, but never got around to buying it. When they re-released it, with the new eyeshadow formula, I was super excited. I finally got a chance to swatch these shades at Ulta recently and bought the last Ammo palette. The reason I settled on Ammo, instead of the more popular Naked palettes, is because I already own so many neutral and rose-gold shadows in brands like Wet 'n Wild and L'Oreal and Coastal Scents that I really like them. When it comes to bold color, however, nobody beats Urban Decay, in my humble opinion. If I want neutrals, I turn to my less expensive shadows. It I want BAM! pops of color, I go with Urban Decay every time.

This palette contains 10 shades - Smog, Mildew, Last Call, Oil Slick, Chopper, Maui Wowie, Shattered, Polyester Bride, Grifter, and Sin. These range from satiny shimmers to glitter bombs. These are all part of UD's permanent eyeshadow line. This review is for the palette with UD's new formula, so I can't compare fallout to older UD.

Some people have stated that this palette isn't practical for every day looks. I have to respectfully disagree. I actually wore Smog, Sin, and Mildew on my lids to church this morning, and I attend a very conservative, traditional church and it looked appropriate. Yes, you could pile on some Oil Slick and Shattered for a wild look, but with a light hand and good brushes you can use these shades to create daytime looks.

The shades come in a sturdy cardboard compact that is a nice size for travel. It has a strong magnetic closure. The outside of the box is a gorgeous silver with a purple embossed decorative skull with tiny little details in the line work. Inside there is a generous size mirror and a small makeup brush with "UD" and a little skull printed at the base of the handle. UD also includes a sample size tube of their original Primer Potion. I am pretty loyal to Milani, but since it was a freebie I have used the PP. It works about the same as the Milani.

This retails for around $34, but it goes on sale quite regularly at Ulta and Sephora. The texture of the shades varies. Mildew, Smog, Sin, Last Call, and Shattered are all buttery soft, apply beautifully, and blend exceptionally well. Oil Slick and Polyester Bride have a rather off-putting feel to them. Almost chalky due to the large amount of glitter. I tried using Polyester Bride on my inner lids and it irritated my eyes something fierce. I'm not sure if that's a shade I'll dip into often, if at all. The other shades in the palette fall somewhere in between the others in terms of how they feel.

All have rich color payoff, which is to be expected from Urban Decay. Oil Slick is a little patchy, but with a good brush and maybe patting it onto the lid, or using it to set a liquid eyeliner, I can see where it would be nice. There is a lot of fallout, granted, it's not as bad as some of the older reviews (pre-formula revamp) reported. I apply my eyeshadow first, then my foundation afterward, so that I can use a makeup remover wipe after shadow application to clean up any fallout. I found that Smog left quiet a bit of shimmer under my eyes and along the bridge of my nose even using a light hand and tapping my brushes before application.

Would I buy this entire palette again? No, but I would invest in full-sized versions of Mildew, Sin, Smog, Shattered, and Grifter.

on 11/20/2013 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was the palette that started my UD obsession (ok, maybe addiction!) Many of the colors do have lots of glitter, so if you aren't a fan of being sparkly this palette is not for you. I have the older "vintage" version of Ammo and don't have nearly the glitter fall out issues many other reviewers complain of. I always use an eye primer and a sticky base (Too Faced Glitter Glue, NYX Milk) under the glitter shades. I also apply the glitters with my finger, I press the shadow onto my lid instead of using a brush. The standout colors of this palette are Mildew, Grifter, and Mowie Wowie. I have also recently layered Mildew and Shattered over each other and end up with an amazing, almost duo-tone, teal green. This is such a great palette, and of the 10 UD palettes I own, this is one of my favorites.

on 5/6/2013 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I bought this set on a whim- and I really wish I hadn't. There is so much shimmer and glitter fallout, I look like I'm going to a rave. Which would've been cool in 1999, when I was 21, but I'm getting a bit too old for that look now. The color selection is pretty, but most of the colors don't work well together, so it's more of a random collection than a pallette, in my opinion. The pigmentation is pretty good, but the colors do seem to fade over the course of the day on me. (Other than the glitter, which never dies.) The packaging that it comes in is quite cool looking and unique, but I'm not wearing the packaging, so that's not really much to recommend it for. I don't get much use out of this product, unfortunately.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

Ammo. Great palette. I didn't originally buy it when I saw it (I'd been looking for the Wallpaper palette and this was what was available) because I didn't like that it had a gun on it...but I got over that (oh, it's fine), because my brother gave it to me as a gift! Good brother.

It's a great palette, and I've been using it most every time I apply eyeshadow (say, 3 out of 5 times). Super-portable, and light, and a good mirror.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I think this is a must-have for everyone. There are so many options with this palette. Granted, it can be a gateway drug to more UD cosmetics. I really love a lot of the shades that are in this palette, particularly Sin, Smog, Mildew and Shattered.

on 10/4/2010 10:51:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I recieved this as a gift for my birthday and lovvvvvvve it. The colors are vibrant and bright. A little bit goes a long way and the color stays on forever when matched with the udpp. So happy I received this.

on 9/9/2010 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

My favorite palette. Colors are not so bright that they look garish, not so muted that they are boring. Its just right, and I think the glitter is just enough to add some light sparkle, but not so much that you look like showgirl. You can do both dramatic smoky eyes and lightly enhanced shimmery eyes. I could use this one every day, but since it is quite expensive, I got myself a cheaper NYX pallete to wear on work days.

on 4/8/2010 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I didn't think I was going to like this palette because of the glitter but it happens to one that I go to most often because of the variety of looks you can get. The packaging is adorable and the size is perfect for travel. Most of the colors do have some glitter fall out but I just make sure to apply my eye mu before my foundation....problem solved.

on 12/27/2009 5:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is my first UD pallete, beautiful choices of 10 colors, from the pallete itself I can see myself doing lots of different combination looks so it would be great for travelling, doesn't have to bring many many pots of shadows, just this one would be great.

When I tried this on, all colors showed up nicely on my dark asian skin, blended easily and lasts for more than 8 hours all day on my very oily lids and they even stays with notoriously oily boots eye primer, not to mention where I live is very hot and humid so eyeshadow that stays must be one exceptional product. Impressive..

Have to take off one lippie for the glitters though, as there are many fallouts. I usually doing my face after eye makeup and pick glitter fallout with micropore paper tapes, it works!. I've to say that I do like a little 'blink blink', so if you're looking for matte colors, just forget this pallete. As for me, yes will repurchase this pallete again when this one run out, love it!

on 12/6/2009 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I really like this palette. I knew it was chock full of glittery goodness when I bought it, so I wasn't disappointed in finding some of the colors less usable for everyday than others.

Out of the entire palette, I use the color Sin the most. I find that I like Sin a whole lot more than Stila's kitten. Sin seems to work with my NW25 skin better than kitten.

The colors I use the least are Oil Slick, Polyester Bride, and Maui Wowie. I'm not sure why I don't use Oil Slick more, it's right up my alley (my usual black smokey eye). I think I forget about it since it's in this palette (which lives in my purse). As far as Maui Wowie and Polyester Bride, I rarely use these because they are so full of glitter and I get lots of fallout. However, when I do use these; I get lots of bang for my buck b/c these are awesome shades. MW's gold is amazing over my MAC paint pot in Indianwood. And PB is super fun with lots of colors when going out. It's NOT a daytime shade for me.

I like this, but wouldn't purchase again since I don't really use all of the shades. I think I'll just purchase the shades I do use in full size.