Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette

4.2

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Overall:I had the second version (newer) of the ammo palette. I wish they would make a new one. I purchased this and used it for one year. After great use, I've retired it and moved on to Naked2. I would not recommend purchasing this palette (either the 1st or 2nd release) because it was made so long ago.
Pros: I really enjoyed enjoyed this palette, its design, and the quality, pigmentation and color selection.
Cons: Older formulations, would recommend a newer made palette

Backstory: You can tell when UD eyeshadow goes bad right away: the brush kicks up way more product than usual, fallout increases, and the color moves into the crease no matter what primer you use. I get a little milia either on my upper water line, or just above a lash hair, and then I know it's time to move on. Please be careful. I have extremely sensitive skin, but shadows do go off. I called UD about how long their clearance would be good for, and they told me the shadows stay good, on the shelf, for 3 years after production. So now I try to pay attention to when the texture of the shadows changed and only keep them for 1 to 2 years after opening. I had the original Naked 1 palette and eventually had to get rid of it because the shadows weren't performing, same with the ammo (version 2) and my old old old deluxe singles were the same way. UD has great quality!! but if you buy the ammo now, on sale, it might not last the 12 or 24 months the box says it's good for. I would repurchase a palette with the same colors in a heartbeat if they were newly made. Grifter with last call and polyester bride to give more dimension does AMAZING things for hazel eyes. I have never gotten compliments on eye shadow like with that combo. I will miss this palette!!!

on 5/6/2015 1:38:00 PM

This palette is now available for $16 on the UD website. I own this one (the very first higher end palette I ever purchased). Love the shadows, though they are a little powdery. Hate the names of the shadows. Nice range of colors.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is definitely not my favorite and to be honest has turned me off to UD eyeshadow completely. There are huge (HUGE!!!!) glitter chunks in this mofo. While the colors are pretty and semi-unique, I really don't need glitter the size of damn sequins rolling down my cheeks, thankyouverymuch.

on 8/30/2014 7:05:00 AM

I have had the original Ammo palette for quite some time so it's looking very well used and very well loved as it's in constant rotation having some of my favourite UD shadows.

I love Polyester Bride as an inner corner highlight, but the absolute winner in this palette for me is the beautiful mauve Grifter - I love this shimmery mauve so much I would buy this on it's own or this palette again just for this shade. Shattered is a gorgeous light turquoise and Oil Slick makes a great shimmery black shadow eye liner. For a small palette it's actually quite versatile when paired with something like the Naked Basics. As this contains browns/golds with a matte colour or two you can do a neutral eye as well.

There is a little fallout with this palette but nothing too drastic if you are careful, Maui Wowie and Polyester Bride seem the worst culprits for this but brush away easily enough. The formula of these shadows are smooth and buttery to apply, blending easily and staying true to colour all day with a primer. I know there is a newer version of the Ammo palette with re-formulated shadows in the same colours. However this works fine enough not to warrant an up date yet.

on 3/9/2014 2:40:00 PM

Ammo was a palette I wanted the first time it launched, but never got around to buying it. When they re-released it, with the new eyeshadow formula, I was super excited. I finally got a chance to swatch these shades at Ulta recently and bought the last Ammo palette. The reason I settled on Ammo, instead of the more popular Naked palettes, is because I already own so many neutral and rose-gold shadows in brands like Wet 'n Wild and L'Oreal and Coastal Scents that I really like them. When it comes to bold color, however, nobody beats Urban Decay, in my humble opinion. If I want neutrals, I turn to my less expensive shadows. It I want BAM! pops of color, I go with Urban Decay every time.

This palette contains 10 shades - Smog, Mildew, Last Call, Oil Slick, Chopper, Maui Wowie, Shattered, Polyester Bride, Grifter, and Sin. These range from satiny shimmers to glitter bombs. These are all part of UD's permanent eyeshadow line. This review is for the palette with UD's new formula, so I can't compare fallout to older UD.

Some people have stated that this palette isn't practical for every day looks. I have to respectfully disagree. I actually wore Smog, Sin, and Mildew on my lids to church this morning, and I attend a very conservative, traditional church and it looked appropriate. Yes, you could pile on some Oil Slick and Shattered for a wild look, but with a light hand and good brushes you can use these shades to create daytime looks.

The shades come in a sturdy cardboard compact that is a nice size for travel. It has a strong magnetic closure. The outside of the box is a gorgeous silver with a purple embossed decorative skull with tiny little details in the line work. Inside there is a generous size mirror and a small makeup brush with "UD" and a little skull printed at the base of the handle. UD also includes a sample size tube of their original Primer Potion. I am pretty loyal to Milani, but since it was a freebie I have used the PP. It works about the same as the Milani.

This retails for around $34, but it goes on sale quite regularly at Ulta and Sephora. The texture of the shades varies. Mildew, Smog, Sin, Last Call, and Shattered are all buttery soft, apply beautifully, and blend exceptionally well. Oil Slick and Polyester Bride have a rather off-putting feel to them. Almost chalky due to the large amount of glitter. I tried using Polyester Bride on my inner lids and it irritated my eyes something fierce. I'm not sure if that's a shade I'll dip into often, if at all. The other shades in the palette fall somewhere in between the others in terms of how they feel.

All have rich color payoff, which is to be expected from Urban Decay. Oil Slick is a little patchy, but with a good brush and maybe patting it onto the lid, or using it to set a liquid eyeliner, I can see where it would be nice. There is a lot of fallout, granted, it's not as bad as some of the older reviews (pre-formula revamp) reported. I apply my eyeshadow first, then my foundation afterward, so that I can use a makeup remover wipe after shadow application to clean up any fallout. I found that Smog left quiet a bit of shimmer under my eyes and along the bridge of my nose even using a light hand and tapping my brushes before application.

Would I buy this entire palette again? No, but I would invest in full-sized versions of Mildew, Sin, Smog, Shattered, and Grifter.

on 11/20/2013 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was the palette that started my UD obsession (ok, maybe addiction!) Many of the colors do have lots of glitter, so if you aren't a fan of being sparkly this palette is not for you. I have the older "vintage" version of Ammo and don't have nearly the glitter fall out issues many other reviewers complain of. I always use an eye primer and a sticky base (Too Faced Glitter Glue, NYX Milk) under the glitter shades. I also apply the glitters with my finger, I press the shadow onto my lid instead of using a brush. The standout colors of this palette are Mildew, Grifter, and Mowie Wowie. I have also recently layered Mildew and Shattered over each other and end up with an amazing, almost duo-tone, teal green. This is such a great palette, and of the 10 UD palettes I own, this is one of my favorites.

on 11/20/2013 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love this palette except for the color Polyester Bride. It is white with so much glitter it falls all over. I got this for do cheap through Sephora I couldn't resist. That makes it easy to ignore the glitter colors.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I found this palette for ten dollars at Sephora.com-- the low price was my primary reason for buying it, along with the green and gold shades of shadow.

All the colors looked great when I swatched them in store, but in practice, I find they are very difficult to use in day to day life-- and that is coming from someone that wears some outlandish eye make up, from glitter to neon!

Smog is a coppery shimmery color I'm still experimenting with the best way to use-- it's very bright, it just seems wrong to just use it as a base color for something else.

Mildew is far and away my favorite-- I love the green, I love the way it looks with my other green and gold shadows, and I love the way it looks patted over black eyeliner for a splash of color.

Oil Slick I haven't done much with-- I tend to apply my blacks wet as a liner or smudge them out for a softer line-- this one had a ton of fall out and didn't blend out well, which was disappointing.

Last call is this great plummy red purple-- it looks great on but is somewhat difficult to pair with other colors and I find it too intense to be an all over lid shade.

Chopper is a lot like Smog-- I haven't quite made up my mind what to do with it, mostly because I veer away from most neutral/brown/copper shades.

Maui Wowie is a lot of fun, but the fall out and lack of color pay off kills me. I expect some fall out with glitter, but I'll still be wiping it off after my shower, some nights.

Shattered is my second favorite-- a big surprise! I don't usually wear blue, but this one just has enough green to look flattering against my skin and I love it as an accent color above the outside third of my eyes. Beautiful.

Polyester Bride I use as a highlight on occasion, but nothing more. It's a nice white shadow with good color payoff, but that's all I can really say about it. Nothing exciting or unavailable elsewhere.

Grifter I like to pair with shattered for a sort of "cotton candy" colored dual toned eye-- but oh the fall out! There's just so much of it, seemingly no matter what I do. The color is great, the failure to keep glitter off my cheeks is not.

Sin is a color that I like to glide on to darken up some of my golds in the crease, but I don't tend to use it a great deal on its own. I'm still experimenting with this one as well.

Overall it was a great purchase for ten bucks, but there was also a reason I didn't pick it up until it was that price-- it is difficult to wear in the real world. Definitely not for those that work in an office or a more conservative workplace! Watch out for fall out, but there are some great gems in here if you don't want to purchase the shadow shades included at full size/price.

Bottom line: Watch for fallout, and if you can snag it on sale, you may find some unexpected favorites!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

My latest acquired palette and I absolutely adore it!I have the the Ammo 2 palette, which has the newer formula of shadows (it is also much better).

The colours are super pretty and very wearable even for everyday looks. The purple/lilac shades are especially beautiful.

The only negative thing with the shadows is the glitter fallout. I have that problem with all UD shadows though and have changed my makeup routine to make it easier. I apply my shadow before I do the rest of my face. That way, I can wipe off the excess glitter without ruining my face makeup.

on 5/6/2013 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I bought this set on a whim- and I really wish I hadn't. There is so much shimmer and glitter fallout, I look like I'm going to a rave. Which would've been cool in 1999, when I was 21, but I'm getting a bit too old for that look now. The color selection is pretty, but most of the colors don't work well together, so it's more of a random collection than a pallette, in my opinion. The pigmentation is pretty good, but the colors do seem to fade over the course of the day on me. (Other than the glitter, which never dies.) The packaging that it comes in is quite cool looking and unique, but I'm not wearing the packaging, so that's not really much to recommend it for. I don't get much use out of this product, unfortunately.