Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette

Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette

4.2

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Urban Decay - Eyeshadow Ammo Shadow Box (10 Shades)

Cost $34.00 for 10 x 0.8g / 10 x 0.03 US oz

Colors: 10 Shades - Smog, Maui Wowie, Mildew, Shattered, Oil Slick, Polyester Bride, Last Call, Grifter, Chopper, Sin

Packaging: Covered in touchable, matte black paper, the compact features a mesmerizing assortment of UD elements animals, hearts, skulls, and flourishes gently wafting from a pistol in overlapping textures of violet metallic foil and rich velvety flocking.

Urban Decays Product Description: 10 best-selling shadows are arranged as five sets of coordinating duos, running the gamut from subtle to sexy. The slim case is complete with a perfectly sized mirror, applicators, and a magnetic closure, so its sure to stay closed in your handbag.

My thoughts: This gorgeous brand-new palette was released to commemorate Urban Decays 10th Birthday. The 10 shadows included in this palette are all beautiful, and theres a balanced assortment of wild and mild sure to keep every girl happy. Included in the palette is a decent sized mirror (big enough to see both of your eyes clearly and them some) as well as a double ended sponge applicator. The palette snaps shut with a strong magnetic closure. The shadows are said to be arranged in duos, but all can be mixed and matched to create an easily office-friendly look (think Sin all over the lid, Smog in the crease, with a little bit of Polyester Bride as a brow highlight) or a wild, rock n roll look (think Shattered all over lid, Oil Slick in crease and lower lashline, with Maui Wowie in the inner corner and Polyester Bride as a brow highlight). I love that theres a balanced mix of bright colors, neutrals, darker defining/lining colors, glittery shades and non-glittery shades.

Ive had major issues with packing a light makeup case for a trip or even for just a day out , and I think this palette with just a few other essentials will go a long way toward helping my travel makeup overload. This is pretty serious coming from the woman who, no matter how long or short the trip, would pack her full size metal Sephora traincase to the brim with half of all the makeup I own only to end up actually using a fraction of what I had lugged around in that huge traincase. And yes I would even take the huge traincase as my 1 out of 2 pieces of carry on luggage! Anyway, even beyond being excellent to pack for a trip, this would be great to keep in your handbag for touchups or for a quick change of look if going straight from the office out for the evening.

I think this palette would work for both long-time Urban Decay fans (such as me) as well as those new to the brand. Its a great introduction to the line and the shadows picked to be in this palette are actually shades youd want to wear more than once! The beauty of this palette is its size and ease of portability as well as its universally flattering range of shades. Even if you already own some of the full size shades in this palette, its completely worth it in my opinion to have them paired with other matching shades in a small, portable palette.

My only complaint is the sponge tipped applicator, which I find to be completely useless. An actual brush would be much preferable (such as the small size eyeshadow brushes that come with MACs holiday eyeshadow palettes). There are many issues I have with sponge tipped applicators for eyeshadow application, the most relevant to this product being that bright colors with glitter tend to be best applied with a proper, decent quality eyeshadow brush. Using a sponge tipped applicator only with these kinds of colors all too often gives that pre-teen smear effect that most ladies (even edgy, not so ladylike ones) would prefer to avoid. Im all about wild eye makeup and crazy colors, but technique and proper tools are so important when working with such pigment-rich shades, so you end up with a bold, unique look thats classy and sexy, not frightening and off-putting. If youre planning on using this palette in an on-the-go kit I highly suggest investing in some short handled shadow brushes that can travel easily in your makeup kit. Sephora makes some great short handled eyeshadow brushes and even has a travel kit of brushes that comes in a small brush roll for easy transport. There are also the Holiday Brush sets that MAC comes out with every holiday season; these would work great with a small makeup travel kit as well, I own several and they are what I travel with/carry with me for touch-ups.

The staying power of most all of the Eyeshadow Ammo Shadow Box shades are decent when used alone, but amazing when used with Urban Decays Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($14). A primer such as this is especially important when using shades that contain glitter or larger particle shimmer. Primer Potion is a nude (color-free when applied) eyeshadow base that truly cannot be beat by any other eyeshadow base out there. I recommend it to anyone who wears eyeshadow, be it Urban Decay or another brand. With the Primer Potion all of the Ammo shadows glide on and blend like butter (with a proper shadow brush of course!). Primer Potion also keeps eyeshadow on all day (and night!) long with almost no creasing.

I think Urban Decay did a great job with this palette; its by far the best that theyve released in the past few years. The packaging is gorgeous, it might not be super-durable (as it is made out of paperboard like most of their other palettes), but if handled with relative care and stored in a clean makeup bag I think itll look beautiful for a long time. Beyond the amazing quality of the shadows, the designers did a great job with the aesthetics of this product as they have with many of the newer Urban Decay products. Highly recommended!
continued >>

The first reviewer did an excellent job describing this palette so I won't go over that again, I will just give my thoughts on it. First of all, I think this is an excellent palette, especially as an introduction to Urban Decay or for those of us who like Urban Decay but don't like to mess with singles (me!). These are 10 versatile shades arranged in duos, but all of the shades work together nicely. You can create a variety of looks with this palette, from neutral work appropriate to glammed out vibrant or smokey eyes. About half of the shades in this palette are glittery but I find fallout to be minimal. Lasting power is good with a base (I use their primer potion). The packaging is sturdy and cute with a strong magnetic closure. I bought this during an Ulta sale glitch ($20 off instead of 20% off) so I was able to get it for $20 shipped, but I definitely think it is worth the $34, after all, that's just $3.40 per shadow. Would definitely repurchase and I highly recommend this palette!

continued >>

on 6/8/2011 8:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Hell no, I would not buy this again. Why you wonder. One word:GLITTER. And it is sad because there are awesome shades in this palette as well (last call oilslick mildew). But the thing is with glitter that even when you are not using the glitter bombs the glitter somehow transfers from the palette to your brush and ends up sitting on your nose or forehead. And it stays there the whole day while you are trying to look like a grown up woman. Yes I've restricted this to nighttime wear only or mardi gras. And why are the shadows so tiny, I expected some bang for buck. Top of my shitlist this one.

PACKAGE: Cute design w/ the gun & florals (probably some custom photoshop brushes)... it has a mirror too!! ^^

PRICE: $35+tax for 10 eyeshadows (I wouldn't say it's a rip off! If you wanna try out UD e/s before buying the whole pot, this is a good deal)

TEXTURE: It's Urban Decay, what do you expect?! OF COURSE LOTS OF GLITTERS HERE AND THERE... (i love them btw). Wonderful color payoff w/ UDPP or TSFI.

COLORS: Wooo... 10 colors in there! Let's talk about them..~~

1) SMOG - doesn't have much glitters, a very nice bronze shade! a must have if you love neutral colors.

2) MILDEW - the name sounds disgusting =.=", it's a dark yellowish-green color! I think it's a very nice color for ppl who loves green! However, I do find that this color would make my eyes look tired if I don't use it w/ a highlighter and a darker shade and eyeliner. So, please match this e/s with some other shades!

3) OIL SLICK - True black shade, w/ SPARKLES! Personally, I don't really like this one. There are many beautiful black shades out there, MAC CARBON (Matte); NARS NIGHT BREED (If you want glitters), MAC BLACK TIED (w/ glitters 2)... and I think all of those 3 look better than oil slick. This e/s is a lil bit hard to blend =.="

4) LAST CALL - A metallic deep plummy pink!!!! Not your everyday color, but def. a good look for weekends ^^

5) CHOPPER - Love this color! (it has glitters ladies! so... if you are not a glittery person, you aren't gonna like it) It's a bronze color w/ a hint of orange... VERY PRETTY!!!!!!!!!!

6) MAUI WOWIE - Beautiful!! same texture of chopper... I love it!! A light tan color... (some ppl think it's similar to MAC retrospeck, but I think it's lighter than retrospeck, and ITS MUCH MORE EASIER TO BLEND)

7) SHATTERED - It might look pretty intense in the pallete, but actually ... it's very sheer!! So please don't your hopes up for this one~ It's a cute greenish-blue!!!

8) POLYESTER BRIDE - An off-white shade with pale golden glitter. Not my favourite, I personally think it's a boring color!

9) GRIFTER - A beautiful light purple color w/ a hint of blue in it~ it has glitters....

10) SIN - A favourite for lots of ladies out there! I like it... but not too crazy about it. It's a nice highlight/base color. No glitterz, just shimmer... If you love neutral colors, you gonna LOVE this one!!!

After I bought this pallete.... I feel like I'm leaving MAC soon >.<"

I have just re-discovered the fun of eyeshadow. Last Monday I popped by MAC to get a few tips. They tried a nice teal frost and I bought it for $20. By Friday I realized I needed some kind of primer, so I decided to go to Sephora on my way home. I saw this and just had to have it! For just twice what I paid for the single at MAC, I got this cute set with a sample primer, a useful brush and 10 really cool shades to play with!!!!! I have been playing with this all weekend. I love the primer and find all the colours very fun. You can use this set to get ready for anything. I have found very little fall-out and the glitter is fine. I guess I have the newer set. You can use the colours in many ways. I am just learning what works for me.
I really wanted fun colours to play with. This set gives me colours that pop as well as more neutral ones. With the primer, it lasts all day! Even though I paid full price, I am very happy with my purchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I found this palette for ten dollars at Sephora.com-- the low price was my primary reason for buying it, along with the green and gold shades of shadow.

All the colors looked great when I swatched them in store, but in practice, I find they are very difficult to use in day to day life-- and that is coming from someone that wears some outlandish eye make up, from glitter to neon!

Smog is a coppery shimmery color I'm still experimenting with the best way to use-- it's very bright, it just seems wrong to just use it as a base color for something else.

Mildew is far and away my favorite-- I love the green, I love the way it looks with my other green and gold shadows, and I love the way it looks patted over black eyeliner for a splash of color.

Oil Slick I haven't done much with-- I tend to apply my blacks wet as a liner or smudge them out for a softer line-- this one had a ton of fall out and didn't blend out well, which was disappointing.

Last call is this great plummy red purple-- it looks great on but is somewhat difficult to pair with other colors and I find it too intense to be an all over lid shade.

Chopper is a lot like Smog-- I haven't quite made up my mind what to do with it, mostly because I veer away from most neutral/brown/copper shades.

Maui Wowie is a lot of fun, but the fall out and lack of color pay off kills me. I expect some fall out with glitter, but I'll still be wiping it off after my shower, some nights.

Shattered is my second favorite-- a big surprise! I don't usually wear blue, but this one just has enough green to look flattering against my skin and I love it as an accent color above the outside third of my eyes. Beautiful.

Polyester Bride I use as a highlight on occasion, but nothing more. It's a nice white shadow with good color payoff, but that's all I can really say about it. Nothing exciting or unavailable elsewhere.

Grifter I like to pair with shattered for a sort of "cotton candy" colored dual toned eye-- but oh the fall out! There's just so much of it, seemingly no matter what I do. The color is great, the failure to keep glitter off my cheeks is not.

Sin is a color that I like to glide on to darken up some of my golds in the crease, but I don't tend to use it a great deal on its own. I'm still experimenting with this one as well.

Overall it was a great purchase for ten bucks, but there was also a reason I didn't pick it up until it was that price-- it is difficult to wear in the real world. Definitely not for those that work in an office or a more conservative workplace! Watch out for fall out, but there are some great gems in here if you don't want to purchase the shadow shades included at full size/price.

Bottom line: Watch for fallout, and if you can snag it on sale, you may find some unexpected favorites!

on 1/15/2013 11:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

The colors are beautiful! I would have loved this some years back. Got this in a swap and was so excited to try it but I'm now over 40 and if I use eye shadow that's too shimmery/frosty/glittery, Father Time will have an easier chance locating me. I've eluded him farly successfully for years and am trying to keep the chase going.

I still gravitate to all things shiny and pretty but being realistic I can't wear these as they don't do me any favors.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I wouldn't buy this product again but that's not to say it isn't good. I'm a big Urban Decay fan and I don't regret buying this, it was my first palette ever.

I really do love the colors and they apply well, but it's nothing groundbreaking. I don't use most of these shades all that much. I would buy Sin again, maybe Smog, but none of the others.

I like using Smog as a crease color and Chopper as a lid color. Sin is my go-to wash color on lazy days. Last Call and Grifter go great together, and Shattered is very flattering; I like using those three shades on nights out sometimes. Oil Slick is good for eyeliner, but as a pale girl I can't apply it in any other way without looking dead. Polyester Bride is a good highlighter but has a lot of fallout. Mildew looks terrible on me no matter how I use it.

I HATE Maui Wowie, hate it hate it hate it, just like I hate all of UD's glitterbomb shades. Part of me wants to throw it out because it just gets glitter ALL OVER MY FACE no matter what I do. I've tried so many painstakingly tedious methods to try and avoid fallout but this shade is hellbent on making me angry. And so the Maui Wowie remains rather untouched in my palette. We are still enemies today.

The packaging is nice and simple and comes with a mirror. It's black and has purple designs on top. I liked the way it looked so much that I depotted all the shades and now use the empty palette as a coaster, haha. This kind of open-close palette style is SO much better than the horrible packaging UD uses for their Book of Shadows palettes.

All in all, this palette is kinda meh, but the most I use it is when I take it with me when I travel. If you look at the swatch pictures and feel impressed, then yeah, go ahead, buy it, but it's no Naked palette, that's for damn sure.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is definitely not my favorite and to be honest has turned me off to UD eyeshadow completely. There are huge (HUGE!!!!) glitter chunks in this mofo. While the colors are pretty and semi-unique, I really don't need glitter the size of damn sequins rolling down my cheeks, thankyouverymuch.

I bought this on a whim from the Urban Decay website as I saw this was on sale for 15 dollars I said why not! I do like this pallette I love Maui Wowie,smog,sin,and chopper. I use almost all the colors in this palette except mildew and that light blue color. The only thing I don't like is that the glitter fallout is redicuolus it will ruin the rest of your makeup so do your shadow first if your using this pallette!