Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette

Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette

4.2

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Urban Decay - Eyeshadow Ammo Shadow Box (10 Shades)

Cost $34.00 for 10 x 0.8g / 10 x 0.03 US oz

Colors: 10 Shades - Smog, Maui Wowie, Mildew, Shattered, Oil Slick, Polyester Bride, Last Call, Grifter, Chopper, Sin

Packaging: Covered in touchable, matte black paper, the compact features a mesmerizing assortment of UD elements animals, hearts, skulls, and flourishes gently wafting from a pistol in overlapping textures of violet metallic foil and rich velvety flocking.

Urban Decays Product Description: 10 best-selling shadows are arranged as five sets of coordinating duos, running the gamut from subtle to sexy. The slim case is complete with a perfectly sized mirror, applicators, and a magnetic closure, so its sure to stay closed in your handbag.

My thoughts: This gorgeous brand-new palette was released to commemorate Urban Decays 10th Birthday. The 10 shadows included in this palette are all beautiful, and theres a balanced assortment of wild and mild sure to keep every girl happy. Included in the palette is a decent sized mirror (big enough to see both of your eyes clearly and them some) as well as a double ended sponge applicator. The palette snaps shut with a strong magnetic closure. The shadows are said to be arranged in duos, but all can be mixed and matched to create an easily office-friendly look (think Sin all over the lid, Smog in the crease, with a little bit of Polyester Bride as a brow highlight) or a wild, rock n roll look (think Shattered all over lid, Oil Slick in crease and lower lashline, with Maui Wowie in the inner corner and Polyester Bride as a brow highlight). I love that theres a balanced mix of bright colors, neutrals, darker defining/lining colors, glittery shades and non-glittery shades.

Ive had major issues with packing a light makeup case for a trip or even for just a day out , and I think this palette with just a few other essentials will go a long way toward helping my travel makeup overload. This is pretty serious coming from the woman who, no matter how long or short the trip, would pack her full size metal Sephora traincase to the brim with half of all the makeup I own only to end up actually using a fraction of what I had lugged around in that huge traincase. And yes I would even take the huge traincase as my 1 out of 2 pieces of carry on luggage! Anyway, even beyond being excellent to pack for a trip, this would be great to keep in your handbag for touchups or for a quick change of look if going straight from the office out for the evening.

I think this palette would work for both long-time Urban Decay fans (such as me) as well as those new to the brand. Its a great introduction to the line and the shadows picked to be in this palette are actually shades youd want to wear more than once! The beauty of this palette is its size and ease of portability as well as its universally flattering range of shades. Even if you already own some of the full size shades in this palette, its completely worth it in my opinion to have them paired with other matching shades in a small, portable palette.

My only complaint is the sponge tipped applicator, which I find to be completely useless. An actual brush would be much preferable (such as the small size eyeshadow brushes that come with MACs holiday eyeshadow palettes). There are many issues I have with sponge tipped applicators for eyeshadow application, the most relevant to this product being that bright colors with glitter tend to be best applied with a proper, decent quality eyeshadow brush. Using a sponge tipped applicator only with these kinds of colors all too often gives that pre-teen smear effect that most ladies (even edgy, not so ladylike ones) would prefer to avoid. Im all about wild eye makeup and crazy colors, but technique and proper tools are so important when working with such pigment-rich shades, so you end up with a bold, unique look thats classy and sexy, not frightening and off-putting. If youre planning on using this palette in an on-the-go kit I highly suggest investing in some short handled shadow brushes that can travel easily in your makeup kit. Sephora makes some great short handled eyeshadow brushes and even has a travel kit of brushes that comes in a small brush roll for easy transport. There are also the Holiday Brush sets that MAC comes out with every holiday season; these would work great with a small makeup travel kit as well, I own several and they are what I travel with/carry with me for touch-ups.

The staying power of most all of the Eyeshadow Ammo Shadow Box shades are decent when used alone, but amazing when used with Urban Decays Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($14). A primer such as this is especially important when using shades that contain glitter or larger particle shimmer. Primer Potion is a nude (color-free when applied) eyeshadow base that truly cannot be beat by any other eyeshadow base out there. I recommend it to anyone who wears eyeshadow, be it Urban Decay or another brand. With the Primer Potion all of the Ammo shadows glide on and blend like butter (with a proper shadow brush of course!). Primer Potion also keeps eyeshadow on all day (and night!) long with almost no creasing.

I think Urban Decay did a great job with this palette; its by far the best that theyve released in the past few years. The packaging is gorgeous, it might not be super-durable (as it is made out of paperboard like most of their other palettes), but if handled with relative care and stored in a clean makeup bag I think itll look beautiful for a long time. Beyond the amazing quality of the shadows, the designers did a great job with the aesthetics of this product as they have with many of the newer Urban Decay products. Highly recommended!
continued >>

I just received my order from beauty.com yesterday! I was thirlled when I opened my UD package!!!! This is def. one of my best purchases this year, esp. when it comes to eyeshadows! I love that its all eyeshadows, no blush, or palette lippies (which I hate). As the other review posts, the palette is $34.00, I had some drugstore.com dollars which I was able to use, and free shipping, no tax, I paid about $22.00. I thought it was a deal because I don't have any UD eyeshadows, and instead of buying only a couple full size e/s, I get to try a variety! I would recommend to anyone...BUY THIS!

on 10/24/2006 8:47:00 PM

These are my first UD eyeshadows too. Gorgeous colors, with a lot of options. I love the package.

The first reviewer did an excellent job describing this palette so I won't go over that again, I will just give my thoughts on it. First of all, I think this is an excellent palette, especially as an introduction to Urban Decay or for those of us who like Urban Decay but don't like to mess with singles (me!). These are 10 versatile shades arranged in duos, but all of the shades work together nicely. You can create a variety of looks with this palette, from neutral work appropriate to glammed out vibrant or smokey eyes. About half of the shades in this palette are glittery but I find fallout to be minimal. Lasting power is good with a base (I use their primer potion). The packaging is sturdy and cute with a strong magnetic closure. I bought this during an Ulta sale glitch ($20 off instead of 20% off) so I was able to get it for $20 shipped, but I definitely think it is worth the $34, after all, that's just $3.40 per shadow. Would definitely repurchase and I highly recommend this palette!

continued >>

Colors are gorgeous! I love it so much that I would post a picture but I don't think I could top thebeautyjunkie's picture she posted.

All colors go on really well. I can't yet comment on staying power as I just applied them oh, say, 2 minutes ago. I also use UDPP which I assume will greatly increase the eyeshadow wear.

I am NW20 blonde/blue, rosy cheeks, and I LOVE the colors on me. I bet they would be most flattering on a medium toned brown/brown (khakis, green, brown, etc) but I think with the proper application, anyone could pull them off (yes, even the burgundy /maroon "Last Call." LOVE!!! continued >>

I have been a huge Urban Decay fan for about 7 years now, and this isn't the first palette I've purchased. That being said, I do think this is perfect for someone who is new to UD and isn't sure what shades they'd like to try. The size of each of these e/s is smaller than a single would be, but they're also more than $10 cheaper apiece, if you figure them out to be $3.40 per shadow. As someone stated below, they come arranged to give you ideas on duos (top to bottom) but I've come up with some funky combos (all gorgeous) by just playing around with it (Think Sin as a wash, with Smog all over lid to crease & brown eyeliner--or...Sin as a Wash, with Chopper all over lid to crease, and lined with Shattered *WET*) And many others!! The Palette box itself is gorgeous: Black with purple velvet flocking, and magnetized closure. The brushes that come with it aren't the greatest, but they work well for travel purposes. Some of the shadows have glitter, but not all. Most in this palette are actually shimmer, not glitter. And they go on very soft & smooth, and are very blendable! This is a great addition to any Urban Decay Collection, or a great starter piece for someone wanting to try some great eye shadows.

Wow!! This palette has the best assortment of colors. A minimalist could own only this palette and have several different looks to create. Wonderful palette for traveling, and as a gift to any UD shadow newbie -- like me! The price is very good for what you get. Also, it seems like the quality of the small shadows in this box are BETTER than the same color in the invididual pots. Case is beautiful, wish it was metal though and like the other reviewers say, the sponge applicators are pretty much useless....still, I give this palette 5 lippies for the eyeshadows alone. :) Go get this palette before it sells out!!

on 12/11/2006 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Awesome quality eyeshadows, of course! Very nice color selection. I'm medium olive with dark brown eyes, and there's not a single shade in the palette that does not match my coloring perfectly. Gorgeous selection, and very pretty packaging. It's not the biggest eyeshadow palette around, but it contains enough product to last long. Love it!

on 12/27/2006 12:57:00 PM

This palette is a steal. High quality eye shadows that are various colors(green/khaki/aqua/grayish white/golds/violet/maroon). This is not a standard boring, blah palette (yes I love neutrals but sometimes I need to get away from them). Yes, the eye shadows are not full sized but there is plenty in there and besides I rarely use anything up. Well worth the price and if you want to step out of the box a bit, then I highly recommend this palette. Packaging is compact & quite eye catching too.

on 12/28/2006 2:56:00 AM

Buy this! This is such a great value on high quality eyeshadows. Everyone already gave this a 5, so I'm not going to say a whole lot. Although, what I will say is: If you have any hesitations about buying this, don't! It will be well worth your money. And if anything, this is neatest packaging I've ever see, and I'm a Benefit user! It comes in a sleek fine cardboard case, with a design of a gun shooting out an abstract array of swirls, butterflies, and flower-type-things. Some of the objects are a purple metallic, and the darker are made of a felt, so it feels nice to touch. One little let town was the sponge applicator it comes with. I have so many of these things, and I generally find them useless. (Although, the ones in NYX shadow compacts are good.) I wish this palette came with a brush, like my MAC holiday palette. Although, my MAC palette looks so boring now that I have this.
UPDATE 1/12/07: I've noticed that all these shadows tend to not entirely stick to my lids and fall to my cheek area (I'm talking shimmer, so I need to either use tape or remover to take it off), and I do use a primer. This makes me have to reverse my makeup routine to doing my eyeshadow first, which is generally further down the list of my routine. This has kind of turned me off of buying more Urban Decay eyeshadows... But, knowing me, I'll probably be forgiving one day and buy more.