Yves Rocher Rose Absolue

4.3

on 1/19/2017 3:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I was given a small bottle of this in a swap years ago and just recently started wearing it again after getting into a rose fragrance kick. I don't think I can add much more than what's been said following the previous reviewers. I will say though that this to me is a deep spicy rose with the spice being the cinnamon and the warm dry down being of patchouli. As a fan of patchouli I didn't even detect it so I think that patch haters will be comfortable with this. What gets me though about this is that the opening to me is VERY metallic and all I can think of is canned tomatoes or ketchup. No matter how I wear it all I can smell is tinned tomatoes. Very irritating but I put up with it because once that wears off it's just this cozy spicy rose that won't offend or gather the title "old lady" by those who dislike rose scents. Being a fan of Frederic Malle's Une Rose with it's slightly metallic rose just pulled from the earth scent I'm surprised I don't like the opening to Rose Absolute but when comparing the metallic note is just too strong in the RA whereas the metal earth note fades soon after with the Une Rose. After the bitty bottle is used up I think I will buy a full size of it. Great as a wintertime sweater wearing scent!

on 12/2/2016 2:52:00 PM

When Rose Absolue first came out, I was underwhelmed. I smelled mostly Voile d'Ambre, a sort of powdery base that was way too much like Comme Evidence. Years later, I went on a rose kick, smelled this again, and... WOW. Just... WOW!!! Close in nature to Lush's Rose Jam, but this is sweeter, more tonka-y. There is a touch of unlit tobacco, which I don't like, but very light and fleeting. There's a creamy sweetness, and a beautiful Rose de Mai top. A bit of Bulgarian rose, maybe, but I'm mostly getting Rose de Mai. WHY, why why did YR discontinue this? Smellalikes - closest I've found is Aramis Calligraphy Rose, also discontinued, and Diptyque's Essence line for 2016, the Rose de Mai. The latter is less sweet, little resin/ vanillic/tonka, but the roses line up. Aramis Calligraphy Rose is smokier, but also close. Lush Rose Jam has a much stronger patchouli vibe, but there are similarities in the rose, and the resin/vanillic line.

This is really gorgeous, lasts forever, and has nice sillage - subtle, but present. I adore the packaging -- very classic and elegant. Of all the essences, this has to be the home run. I'd love to know if the Isabel Derroigne ID Perfumes line's Rose Divine is similar.

EDIT: I've since tried the two flankers: the parfum version (sigh!), and the Eau Fraiche version. Parfum is gorgeous, comes in 30 ml spray bottle, is the dense distillation of all that is rich and ambery/creamy, and thick tangy Rose de Mai of the edp. The Eau Fraiche is distinct from Pur Desir line rose, and the Jardin line rose. This is an eau fraiche version of Rose Absolue - has a lovely citron note added, is lighter, pink in color. Lovely, lemony, more summery, but still has a sense of that Rose oil dense, deeply sweet and rich original.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is one of my fave scents in the Secret D'Essences line. Let me just say, Yves Rocher makes some of the most beautiful perfumes and I find they rank up there with more expensive designer brands.
I have had this perfume for a few years and love to wear it mostly in the fall and winter. I only have to spray very little on my neck and wrists and I find it lasts for most of the day (4-5 hours atleast). I have had a few people around me comment on the fact that it is a strong, noticeable fragrance. The type that when you walk by someone, you may leave a small trail of scent behind you.
At first spray this perfume is very strong. Then it turns into a much more softer scent after about 30 mins. I detect a bit of spice there and it smells like patchouli maybe. Then it takes on a powdery sweetness mixed with a true rose scent.
This scent is not ROSE all the way but more of a creamy, patchouli rose. It isn't the typical rose that your great grandmother used to wear.
It's extremely feminine and elegant. Nothing about it is light and airy and it's not a foody scent either. There is something very euro chic about it as well and I picture a sophisticated, sexy, intelligent woman wandering through the streets of Europe wearing this. The bottle is absolutely beautiful on display too and is very sturdy. It won't topple over on your vanity and the cap fits snugly too.
Because the scent is very long lasting, and quite intense, this perfume should last for more than a few months if you buy it. I've had mine for about 2 years now but only wear it on special occassions.

on 12/21/2012 3:59:00 PM

This is the best....sugar sweet sexy rose...and I'm sooooo sad....it's discontinued in my country........I have two bottles and after that I'm going to search for more!

on 12/13/2012 12:07:00 PM

I'm one of those people who lean towards pricier fragrances because of the quality. well not this time. This is absolutely gorgeous, warm, sexy, sweet and a bit spicy. the bottle is so chic.
and the price is just not fair for Yves Rocher. It's too affordable!
but it suits me XD

on 11/21/2012 5:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a rose version of chanel's coco to me. So creamy and a little leathery, grounded and rich, very satisfying. Hardly a rose in its primal meaning - rather a rose liqueur with a hink of tonka and cinnamon and a little wood smoke. I was so surprised that YR came up with something like this! - a truly outstanding scent, bottled in quite a sophisticated-looking flakon. The staying power is also very good and I cannot wait to wear it: it is bull's eye perfume for a colder autumn: you still hear the echo of summer ( florals ), but you are also getting ready to embrace the soon-to-arrive nothern winds and this means fire, warm drinks, cosyness and seasonal festivities ( tonka, cinnamon... ). Well done, will make sure to never run out of it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This IS 5 stars in my book! Smells expencive & niche! Good lastingpower too! This smells exactly like something by Jean Patou or some overpaid niche-brand would sell!!! An instant moder classic it is!!!

BTW: I think many of you would be interested in what the famous LUCA TURIN wrote about this in "THE GUIDE"?
So here it goes:

"3 Stars - fresh Rose: Rose Absloute is by far the best of Yves Rocher's latest set of three upmarket fragrances, a comfortable, lemony-powdery rose that feels strinkingly real, like the headspace rose reconstructions of the eighties, on a background of tonka and patchouli. Far better than one has any right to expect given the bargain price less than $40 for 2 ounces. LT"

Who could have said it better?

on 10/6/2010 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This fragrance is very feminine and sweet. The nose behind it is Christine Nagel- the creator of the popular fragrances, Miss Dior Cherie and Cartier Delices (for her), and Lancome Hypnose Senses (for her), to name a few. This latest fragrance is relatable to the style of Guerlain- soft, simple, and not too complex- but dependable.

The scent notes are never truly specified- the top notes are described as 'spicy and oriental,' with a touch of cinnamon, the heart notes are Turkish, Bulgarian and Morroccan rose absolute, and the base notes consist of patchouli almond and tonka bean. The perfume itself is classified as an oriental.

Personally, I hardly detect any of the spicy notes described in this perfume- the 'spicy' notes only last for about 20 minutes on my skin, before quickly fading into a wonderful 'creamy rose' which lasts for about 4 hours, which than simmers into tonka bean (smells very similar to vanilla) and a touch of patchouli. I myself would not classify this as an oriental because it lacks the warmth that is normally achieved by spicy base notes that last. This perfume is on the cusp of being a gourmand. I do however, appreciate the notes smell authentic- there is no synthetic tainting, likely because natural extracts were used to formulate the sweet creamy rose scent.

I myself, enjoy this perfume. It is very soft, feminine, gentle, and creamy. The bottle itself is delicate. I would imagine this perfume worn by an vintage beauties when 'soft and innocent' was vogue. It is certainly lady like, and intended as a day wear perfume. My only qualm is the lasting power. I can forego the extra spicy allure, however I would have preferred a fragrance that could at least last for 8 hours. This one seems to fade off almost entirely after 6 hours of wear. Non the less, it is pleasant and ideal for those who are young or want to feel young and fresh.

Happy Shopping!

on 3/15/2011 5:43:00 PM

It is a beautiful rose 'themed' perfume. Very 'perfumy', very serious. It's beauty is in its sophisticated character. It is a kind of perfume you wear almost exclusively PM, theater, nice restaurant, ..or wedding, etc. Wearing it daytime feels weird and heavy. It is not playful. It has beauty to it though. A little too serious for me. It is more mature and for when you want to feel very womanly, and not girly at all...It's a red lipstick vs. pink lipgloss, if you know what i mean. Smells like a bouquet of roses in a beautiful vase, very rich, sweet, roses are in full bloom or even some are loosing petals and smell like intoxicating 'decaying' sweatness...It is not fresh perfume, spring flowers etc. more.. fall and evening. When I smell it, I see velvet and candle lit spaces...

on 6/23/2011 8:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had to try this several times before I could do a review because I was not sure what to make of it. I've finally decided that I really, really like it. It's definitely a rose theme, a bit of berry to sweeten it up, and the patchouli is not overwhelming on me (I normally don't like patchouli at all). The after it settles and the berry note fades, I get a bit more spices. This is definitely a complex rose scent.

Popular Fragrances