MAC Retro Lipstick

4.5

on 6/10/2016 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I wore this shade almost everyday for months. On me it's the perfect mix of peach, brown, and pink, and very muted and wearable on my medium/tan skintone. But it's just too drying for me, and I finally had to move on to more comfortable formulas. I find all the MAC formulas to be drying except the lustres - the satins aren't as bad as the mattes (let's not even talk about the retro mattes) but my lips were still getting pissed off by the end of the day, even with copious amounts of lip balm underneath. It's a shame, because I haven't really found a perfect dupe for this color. Maybe Maybelline Touch of Spice is somewhat similar on me, with a touch more pink/plum, but with a nice moisturizing matte formula.

on 2/12/2016 10:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This might be a less widely known shade because I never hear about it. I just B2Med for it and I love it so much. It's a brownish red that's not too orange. It reminds me of a slightly deeper Brick o La, but in a satin formula. It could be a mlbb for darker ladies or a muted gorgeous lip that still adds life and understated glamour to the face. very pleased with this shade.

To Read all 58 Reviews, Login or Join

on 11/15/2015 2:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Not quite sure if I got the good lipstick here.
I bought the Mac lipstick with a satin finish in the colour Retro.
It didn't look impressive in the tube but applied on my lips it is a perfect fall/winter colour a lovely muted Brown/pink. On my it looks a bit terracotta without any hint of Orange.
I'm quite pale with freckles. (Alabaster in Clinique foundation, haven't tried a Mac one)
The finish is very long holding and even better Then my matte Russian Red from Mac. The lipstick can tug if you got dry lips. So I apply Mac's prep and prime for lips.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is such a beautiful red, but not 'IN YOUR FACE' red..

It is for the days you want to wear a red lip, without being too bold. It is also ideal for those who find red lipstick too intimidating.

It looks good when you wear it as a lipstick or blot it and wear it as a stain.

It's not a very unique or outsanding shade, which makes it perfect for everyday or for the office.

I am NC25 and on me it looks brownish red or reddish brown with a hint of orange.

It feels matte but has a slight sheen.

It does last for a while, but you probably need a lip liner because it feathers a bit.

I wanted it for quite a while and I finally bought it and use it often but if i run out of it, i dont think i will buy it again because it is an easily dupable shade.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Retro is a really unique color and a beautiful, versatile neutral for medium to tan skintones. I'm around an NC35-40 with pigmented reddish pink lips, and on me, Retro is a reddish, peachy terracotta brown with a hint of plum. It's a really interesting color because the mix of red and brown make Retro both bold and neutral. It's slightly deeper than my natural lip color so it gives great definition, and the mix of colors in the lipstick make it easy to pair with any kind of makeup. It has a slightly glossy finish that smoothes over dryness and fine lines, and it's slightly moisturizing. Longevity is also good (3-4 hours untouched), and it'll last through drinks but not a meal. I know on warm toned tan skinned ladies like myself, Retro is an easy-to-wear neutral, and I can see it being a lovely nude on deeper skintones or a beautiful subdued bright on lighter skintones. According to the reviews, Retro can be quite the chameleon depending on your complexion, so definitely give this one a try if you can before buying.

I absolutely love this lipstick. I am a big lover of reds and think they suit me the most but wanted to go a little different from my usual. I do not regret this, it goes on lovely and has a bit of a matte look. The only issue I would say is that it doesn't last forever, but nevertheless is still one of my favourites. It has browny undertones and has a really natural look if you just put a tiny bit on, or you can build it up.

on 4/15/2015 1:52:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

@ella who are you to say a color is too dark for a nude? nudes arent meant to look like concealer like mac myth. Deep terracotta shades look wonderful. Especially contrasted with light skin complexions!
its drying because you dont apply it on chapped lips! Moisturize your lips first after you exfoliate them! I dunno why girls think they can complain about a lipstick being drying when they have crusty crusts on their lips.
This is a lovely color.Flls into the Twig,Spice is Nice,Brick o La category. This color will give your lips the va va voom..plump sexy look. Unlike those concealer colored lipsticks!!!!
Love the bullet sleek packaging MAC is known for!

there's just no point to this lipstick---if you're going to go red, go red! this is a muted browny red which is too dark to wear on a daily basis, to work or as a nude. I don't find uses for it because i normaly like a nude or pink or brown lip, or a real true red. This is neither and it is drying as well.

I'm cool skinned and rather pale and this really works for me as well. If I pair it with my Mac redd liner it brings out a little more red. My husband called it fetching.

I like this it is like a mix of MAC chili and brick o la it applies well and looks nice it is a universal color.