Besame Enchanting Lipstick in Red Velvet

Besame Enchanting Lipstick in Red Velvet
Enchanting Lipstick in Red VelvetBesame Cosmetics Red VelvetEnchanting Lipstick in Red Velvet

4.7

on 9/12/2017 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love this color! It's a little on the darker size and it's a blue based red that's very wearable. I love the casing and the lipstick itself has an edge that makes it easy to use as a liner. Even though it's not labeled as long wearing, it actually does last awhile.

on 9/12/2017 8:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

For reference, I am a MAC NC30 (light-medium skin with yellow/warm undertones).

Red Velvet is described online as a "A deeper red suitable for every day wear. This neutral undertone red looks wonderful on all skin tones." In my experience, this color is more accurately a subdued red with a warm/pink undertone. On my medium, golden skin, this red pulls more pink/berry, which to me is a dead giveaway that this red is not truly neutral. While I'm wearing Red Velvet, it seems to look different depending on the lighting. In low/darker lighting, it actually looks like a deep, true red; however, in most situations (well lit rooms, direct sunlight), it's more of a berry/pink red. While I was hoping for a more true red (like the color of Sephora's Cream Lip Stain in Always Red), I still like the color because of its demureness/subduedness. It is not an "in your face" kind of red and would agree with Besame's description that it is a suitable red for daily wear. The finish of this lipstick has a nice sheen to it that is very flattering on the lips.

The formula of Besame lipsticks is great. It does not cake up or become heavy on the lips despite layering. The lipstick is not drying and lasts well even on the inner rim of the lips. The lipstick is not transfer proof but the color does stay even if you see transfer.

Overall, I like the formula and like the color enough to not completely regret my purchase. I don't think I'd repurchase Red Velvet as it is not THE red that I was looking for. I would still recommend this color to someone who is looking for a nice, pink undertone/warm red to add to their collection and recommend Besame Cosmetics overall because of their great lipstick formula.

on 1/16/2017 12:21:00 AM

I'm obsessed with red lipsticks and this is probably my favorite one. It goes very well on my fair complexion with yellow undertones, it has more of a blue-base so it doesn't look too bright or too dark on me. Like so many others, I bought it after reading that it's the lipstick used on Peggy Carter and I do not regret getting this. The shape of the lipstick takes a bit getting used to, bit once you get the hang of it, application is quite simple. I'm definetely considering buying more Besame lipsticks.

on 6/6/2016 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I love Besame and I love this formula, but I have Fuchsia Lip Syndrome - anything that is even slightly cool pulls fuchsia on me. And this pulled HARD - a sort of weird, bright, pink/purple - absolutely nothing like all those lovely instagrams of Agent Carter fans (though, it maybe looks a tad pink on her sometimes as well??). So it's not truly neutral and it doesn't have enough brown/yellow in it for my warm complexion. Now, my weird olive/yellow undertones are not Besame's fault so only one lippie off for them (I do dearly love their lipstick formula and packaging). But a note for my fellow warm olives: try Red Hot Red instead - that one is very close to HG for me.

on 2/8/2016 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I'll come clean: I got this because my SO and I are Marvel nerds and I thought it would be fun to try Peggy Carter's red lipstick on myself. I didn't expect, though, that it would become a favorite formula.

It comes in a gold bullet-shaped case that looks vintage, and when you open it, it feels vintage too. The shape of the actual lipstick is *awesome* and makes it much easier to apply straight from the bullet (though, I would still recommend using a lip brush to apply.) When you close it, it gives you a nice and satisfying click to know it's locked up. It also has a vanilla smell, though it isn't as strong as MAC's, but it dies down quick.

The color itself is well pigmented. It *is* more of a neutral-based red, though, on my cool yellow undertones, it tends to lean just ever-so-slightly more blue-based than yellow. That isn't necessarily a bad thing because it's still very wearable. It's a red you can wear to the office, but also use for a night out.

As other reviewers note, it sits somewhere between a matte and satin finish. It's long-wearing, but does not dry out the lips. It wears for an absurdly long time for the type of formula it is. It is not transfer-proof (if you kiss or eat, it will get on whatever), but it also somewhat stains the lips. I find if I don't eat (though, I did drink from a coffee cup), it goes for at least 7 hours with the strong possibility of going longer without a touch-up.

I think this would be a very versatile shade for all skin tones, and judging by the reviews here, I don't think I'm wrong. The price of $22 for 0.12 oz and the performance puts some of the higher end lipsticks (looking at you, NARS Audacious) to shame and proves you can get just as great a lipstick at a lower price point.

Pros:

- Pigmented
- Long-wearing
- Shape of lipstick makes for easier application
- Versatile for pale princesses and POCs due to neutral-tones
- Matte/satin mix (best of both worlds)
- Perfect for pin-up looks
- Office and night out-friendly
- Doesn't bleed or feather
- Inexpensive for mid-end brand ($22/0.12 oz) but just as high quality as high-end, luxury brands

Cons (I had to really scrape for these):

- Transfers
- Leans slightly more blue on yellow undertones (may not be a bad thing; some may not like as much)
- Scented

This is just an all around good red. It is highly pigmented, smells nice, and is long-lasting. It doesn't dry my lips, and it has a lovely finish that for me is between matte and satin. If you are an inexperienced lipstick wearer you may have trouble applying it, as it's a bit tricky. I recommend using a lip liner in a similar red and/or a lip brush.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is my favorite red and the first Besame lipstick I purchased. I get tons of compliments when I wear this shade and it's perfect for day or evening. It's not too bright, not too brown, not too blue or orange. It wears incredibly well, smells and tastes great and the packaging is retro and uber femme. I sprang for the lip liner recently and recommend it to finish off the look. In a day when lipstick can cost upwards of $90 this is a true bargain.

on 10/28/2015 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

I love all things Besame, and their lipstick formula is unsurpassed, IME: it stays put like a stain, but it's moisturizing rather than drying. And it looks great. This is a quintessential 40's red, and I can see why mom and grandma's generation always had some on, even if they weren't going anywhere.

Personal info: My other go-to Besame shades as of this writing are Noir and Merlot. I can't wear peachy/orangey shades, so I figured the cooler, the better. But I tried the very cool, blue-based Besame Cherry Red and it didn't work for me, so I gave it away to someone who can rock it (she loves it!) Red Velvet looks very similar to Cherry Red, but with a neutral base. I can definitely pull it off!

There's a lot of people calling this a "daytime red" or an "everyday red" - and it IS - but I think it's good for evenings and nights, too. It's a good, all-purpose red. And of course you get the wonderful Besame tube, too. A little bit gives you great color and coverage, so it's good value for the money. And it's cruelty-free, too. This one is an all-around winner.

on 8/9/2015 7:06:00 AM

This is the most perfect red that I own, and I own a LOT of red. Sure, it's a classic color, so it can be duped-- I even have one or two lipsticks that are of a similar shade-- but the formula is what sets it apart. The texture is amazing, super comfortable to wear, and it really does last rather well through eating (I even tried it with a messy burger, and there was minimal fading by the end of it, but nothing I actually felt the need to touch up).

This was given to me as a birthday gift, but when I do inevitably run out, I will absolutely buy another one.

on 7/13/2015 7:26:00 PM

I love this lipstick! I bought it online on Sephora as I can't find it anywhere else in Canada. I bought it with the intent of using it because it's the exact lipstick they use on Peggy Carter. i didn't expect to love i so much. My lipstick lasted a few hours, enduring nervous lip licking, eating and drinking. It began to fade a bit so it's obviously not completely wear-proof but it's really close. I love this lipstick and if it weren't so darn expensive (for me) I would buy every shade possible.