Banana Boat Baby Tear Free SPF 50

image 1image 2image 3image 4

4.6

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide 3.1 and Zinc Oxide 4.00

on 7/21/2016 9:03:00 AM

I have used this sunscreen on both of my (fair skinned, blond haired, blue eyed) little ones since they each turned 6 months old and I still use it on both of them today. My littlest is 7 months and my oldest is 3 years old. Neither has ever had a sunburn but my oldest does get a little bit tanned when using this.They both have sensitive skin and this sunscreen doesn't affect them negatively at all. It takes a little time to absorb after being applied but I am a bit generous with my application.

At the start of the summer I used up an unexpired tube from last year and I swear it had a bit of a typical baby-like scent, but the new tube I purchased has absolutely no fragrance at all, which is nice.

I have also used this sunscreen on myself (body and face) with good results, so I'd definitely recommend giving this product a try if you don't want to have a different bottle of sunscreen hanging around for each family member!

on 5/30/2016 5:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is awesome. It goes on white, but it melts right into the skin and it doesn't leave a residue. It has no smell. That is just so rare and I am so grateful. It's probably the best sunscreen for the face that I've ever found. I had no irritation from it yet. They have a similar tube labelled Kids next to the Baby one, and the ingredients are identical. This is normally about $12 but was on sale for $8.

To Read all 27 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/28/2016 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a great mineral sunscreen without fragrance or irritating essential oils and protects my fair sensitive skin from the sun effectively. I do not get any breakouts with this sunscreen. It washes off easily with regular facial cleanser. I don't think it gives a white cast but it enhances fair skin by giving a slight "glow from within" effect. You get a huge hygienic tube and it is very economical.

on 8/1/2015 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I got this for body use only which I am satisfied with, so I can't comment on whitening effect. On my body it sinks in well and is not greasy. It's one of the few mineral only sunblocks available at the drugstore. Neutrogena Pure & Free is the other one, but that smells like house paint to me. I think this use to contain chemical filters as the ingredients on Amazon and Drugstore.com have completely different ingredients. The one I have is in the pink tube called 'Banana Boat Baby Sunscreen Lotion' and says 'Tear Free*Sting Free' at the top. The actives are Titanium Dioxide 3.1% and Zinc Oxide 4.00%. Not sure about the actives in the Baby 'Sprays' as I did not look at those. Last year they had a sunscreen called 'Natural Reflect' which was all mineral, but I don't see that one around anymore. Looks like they replaced it with this one.

on 8/29/2013 11:35:00 PM

A summer must! It is identical to Kids Tear Free SPF 50 but with different packaging. It is marketed for babies instead of toddlers, but the formula is identical. You can just go ahead and pick one based solely on the color you like. :)

I like that it is inexpensive and I can apply it generously on my arms. This has the smallest opening I've seen on a tube, which makes it easy to apply. It has abundant UVB protection to keep my arms from getting darker than my face in the summertime. A small amount of Titanium Dioxide ensures adequate protection from UVA, but I am not too concerned about UVA for my arms since they are exposed only a few months. I do extend the application on my hands and it works fine.

On the negative side, I do eventually get small sunscreen lines where I fold my arms but I smooth them out with my finger and eventually I don't need to do it once it's completely dry. Given I apply a generous amount, there is a slight white cast and if you touch you can feel it. So it's not completely weightless in that sense. But I will repurchase each time. I like knowing that it has a high SPF, contains partly mineral actives, and is water resistant.

-------------
NOTE: Formula wise, Target's Up & Up Kids SPF 60 is identical. It is $1 cheaper and comes in a larger size. Once I run out, I might just repurchase that.

on 6/30/2013 10:09:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is my go-to sunblock, that is ultra gentle, long-lasting and effectual.

It goes on a little greasy and pale, but I find it absorbs into my skin well: leaving it dewy and soft. Mileage may vary for other people. If my skin was oily for example, I would pass on this.

Having said that, I've never broken out with it on and it's protected my skin even from a SE-asia vacation (except that one time I was sweating a lot and I didn't reapply - got a slight sunburn).

on 5/23/2013 4:43:00 PM

I loved the finish of this product and used it for a while. However it recently came into my attention that there are TONS of harmful chemicals in this stuff. Definitely NOT recommending this.
However, banana boat has another line of natural sunscreens that are also pretty good without the harmful chemicals. I would recommend trying that instead of this!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

My goodness this stuff is great on my skin. Bought it for 7.75 at my local supermarket in Texas. I was using Aveno face 70 spf but it made my skin oily. I bought this because "If its good enough for babies, it should be good enough for my face". This is super light, not greasy and it really sinks into your skin. I did not experience any break outs at all or reaction. To me, this is my HG sunscreen. I highly recommend this.

on 12/30/2011 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A Good full-spectrum sunscreen that I used on my 5 year old (who is now 7) when we vacationed in Grand Cayman. She didn't mind it - and it had little odor. And it worked - she did not burn - but we applied and re-applied often.

on 3/25/2011 5:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This thing managed to destroy my face in 1 day using a 1/4 tsp amount. I am shocked because of the great reviews on its use as a facial sunblock and overall % who said they will buy it again. Sadly it made my face both greasy and dry at the same time. In less than 3 hours (the longest I could keep it on my face before needing to remove it) it left me with clogged pores all over both cheeks, several whiteheads and the beginning of two new pimples. Once I removed it my face also appeared darker and red which is baffling since it is supposed to have great sun protection. Maybe it irritated my skin. So, for anyone who has truly sensitive skin this may not be the best or at least please proceed with caution if you plan to use it on your face.

Also, I did find this to have a quite discernible unpleasant sunscreen smell. Definitely not no or low fragrance as some reviewers found although the fragrance did seem to fade away. That may be its only redeeming grace. I will keep to use on my legs and arms if I am out by the pool but back to the search for a suitable sunblock for my sensitive facial skin.

I am giving it 3 stars for its usefulness as a general body sunscreen but there are many sunscreens that work well in that category for me so I don't find this impressive enough to warrant a higher rating. For reference - I have the one in the cream form in the pink tube shown in the second pic.