NARS Highlighting Blush Powder in Albatross

NARS Highlighting Blush Powder in Albatross

4.4

on 3/29/2017 10:04:00 AM

I would like to start by saying I have always loved the idea of highlighters but in practice I hate the way that the look on my skin..... this white powder from Nars is amazing.... it shows as the finest gold glow on my skin (NC35ish) and looks fantastic even in daylight.... it is subtle which I love and you genuinely don't see any sparkle and doesn't make my pores obvious!!! A keeper for me!!!!! Maybe not great for darker skins though!

on 3/20/2017 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I think that this product only works on some specific skin tones. And even tho i read several comments saying that it only workes on fair-ish skin tones, i went and bought it anyways. My skin goes from a shade 5 with the Armani luminous silk foundation to a shade 8,5 or 9 very easily when i get tanned (it only takes me 1 or 2 exposition to the sun on a sunny day to get tanned). But i got to say that it worked incredibly well for me, and it sure was gold but it suprisly looked quite natural on me. And even tho i wasn't heavy handed while applying it, it still stayed all night !!

on 12/12/2016 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

For this review I'm going to be doing a review on three different highlighters. Now I know you may be thinking highlighters?! As in markers?! No. I'm talking about makeup. Highlighters are a cosmetic tool/product used to emphasize parts of the face and make them appear like your skin is just naturally glowing from within. The three highlighters I'm going to be doing a review on are ones that aren't brand new, they've been around for awhile now actually. They are oldies, but goodies in my opinion. I feel like they were almost forgotten about with all these new highlighters coming out constantly, but that's why I'm reviewing them to bring them back and remind people of how great they were and how they're still better than most of these new highlighters that are coming out. The first one is for light to medium skin-tones, the brand is NARS, and it's called Albatross. This product is made with transparent pigments which is really cool because that makes the product avoid looking to heavy or cakey on the skin. This works for light to medium skin tones because it comes of white enough for fairer skin tones like the highlighter looks like it just white at first but it has a gold highlight under tone in it which helps compliment warmers skin tones. It retails for $30.00 and you can buy it at: narscosmetics.com or you can call and see if your local stores like Sephora, Macy's, or Nordstrom carries it in stores, and most of them do! For the second highlighter that I'm reviewing is called Global Glow and it is by the brand M.A.C cosmetics. It is more of a neutral tan color with a silver sheen, so that's why I recommend this one for tan-deep skin tones. Since it does have that tan color and yellow undertone it would that look good on a person with fair skin tone because too much yellow can make someone fair skin look or appear sick. This product retails for $33.00 and you can buy it at you local M.A.C store, counter, or on maccosmetics.com. The thing I also love about M.A.C products is that there very long lasting. That's why the last highlighter i'm going to review is also by the brand M.A.C and it is called soft & gentle. If you are into makeup you may have heard of this one before it was very popular and raved about for a while. I would recommend this for light to tan skin tones, but it really is pretty universally flattering on everyone I've tried. It is a peachy bronze color so that's why I think it works really well on everyone. This highlighter is still my go to highlighter I love it and I'm not sure when I will-if ever- find anything to replace it. It retails also for $33.00 and you can also find it at you local M.A.C store, counter, or on maccosmetics.com. So that concludes my review on all these products I hope people remember how great they were and go and try them out again! and just as a friendly tip on where you should use your highlighter, you can use it on your: inner tear duct, brow bone, bridge of your nose, chin, cheeks, and cupid's bow (upper lip). Remember if you to have a heavy glam look like a “Kardashian” or something and really just want to beat your face, then you want to be gleaming to the makeup goddesses, so highlight your cheekbones till they look like they are reflective gear for bikers on the side of your face! (I apologize if you don’t know makeup talk and the last sentences did not make sense haha).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the first nars product I have ever tried and I am absolutely loving it. I have been using this almost every day since I got it! It's very pigmented and catches light perfectly. If you want a more natural glow this is probably not for you. I was a little scared of the color at first though, the whitish gold won't look good on every skintone I think. My skin is kinda fair but has a warm/neutral undertone and I think I can pull it off. Anyway, the highlighter looks absolutely gorgeous with pretty much any blush color which makes it easier to wear. I'd buy it again if I ever hit pan.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is actually one of the very, very few products I actually hit full-blown pan on and had to mourn. I bought this beauty before the whole highlighter craze began in earnest; it's been around a bit longer than some of the superstars and sometimes goes unappreciated, but it introduced me to the world of highlighters and I have zero complaints about it.
It is a buttery smooth formula with the perfect shimmer. It is a nice pale gold color, nothing unusual for a highlighter, but exceptionally pretty and somewhat similar to Becca's Moonstone. A wonderful shade for warmer skin tones. I am rather light-skinned but not fair, with yellow undertones, and found this color to always look really natural and flattering.
The packaging is sleek and secure and comes with a mirror (always a bonus). NARS didn't exactly break the mold when it comes to packaging originality, but I have to hand it to them, I've never had their products open or shatter in my bag.
The price is up there; it costs less than Becca highlighters and Too Faced's Candlelight Glow, but you also get less product, so they're neck-and-neck. Nowadays even the drugstore is really stepping it up with highlighters and they're pretty much everywhere you look, but if you're looking for a lovely tried-and-true golden highlighter and have the money to spend, this is a winner.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

i hate this highlighter, it is too light for my skin and i am an NC25. the glitters are too chunky, and it brings forward the texture of your skin, it enlarges your pores.

i think the only way you can make this work is if you are super pale, even as an eye shadow its too yellow.

This highlighter was not for me. Wayyyy too gold-white, super sparkly, and glitter fallout was everywhere. I'm personally much more of a fan of more of a sheen or more natural.

An oldie but a goodie.

Overall I am not the biggest NARS fan. Their products are usually good enough and I've never noticed any horrible products. But I also rarely find anything so exceptional that in my humble opinion justifies their overall position as a prestigious and innovative makeup brand. Personally, I could never understand why people were always so excited about the Orgasm blush -- it's a pretty peachy pink blush with shimmer in it -- quite nice, but you can find that practically anywhere.

However, the Albatross highlighter is a real gem. It's perfect for fair skinned people like myself with yellow undertones that want a very pale highlighter that is also warm toned. As I'm sure many pale warm-toned people know, the majority of light highlighters pull cool or pink. Luckily the pale ivory powder with golden shimmer in Albatross fits the bill. It warms up the cheeks, but it is still pale enough to highlight, and the glow and pigmentation are very high. Between my NARS Albatross and my Becca Pearl pressed highlighter I have all of my highlighter bases covered. I use Albatross to complement the warmth in coral or peachy blushes or lipsticks while I use Pearl for looks that are more neutral or slightly cool, like a rose or a true pink blush or lipstick. Caution, Albatross is very warm toned due to the gold shimmer so if you are cool-toned I doubt you will like this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

So I bought this a few days ago, as I've always read about this highlight on here & ive always seen it in Sephora.

This looks so unflattering and chalky in the pan & once you swatch it looks very yellow-gold. I was very hesitant to purchase because of how yellow it looked and I didn't want to go out looking like I put yellow eyeshadow on my cheekbones!

I'll admit, first time I used this I went overboard and applied waaayyyyy too much!! I get a bit too highlight crazy when I get a new one hehe. I thought it looked very unflattering & tried toning it down with Becca Moonstone.
Tried it again the next day in moderation, looked better but still applied a bit too much - today I've finally got the application down.
I use very little initially - it's very pigmented. And I buff it in, and I build it up little by little until I get that golden glowy look without it looking yellow, then I go in on the very highest point closest to my eyes with Becca moonstone & also buff that in.

I FEEL LIKE A GLOWY GOLDEN-ISH ANGEL!!!! I can't stop turning my head to look at my highlight lol. It also looks good w/o moonstone but I prefer a more glowy look & usually layer my highlights. (But it's not too harsh).

Give it a try! & for reference I'm a NC15 -20 (I feel like I'm more 20 tho)
I can see this lasting a very long time as I'll only need a small amount.
Play around with application & it could work!

on 2/21/2016 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This color is very pigmented and offers a fantastic highlight/glow. HOWEVER, once the color sits, it begins to turn very yellow and gold, which is very unflattering on my NW20 skin color. This would be fabulous on darker skin tones.