Kevyn Aucoin The Sculpting Powder

Kevyn Aucoin The Sculpting Powder

4.7

Talc, Polyethylene, Nylon-12, PTFE, Phenyl Trimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Manganese Violet CI 77742, Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499).

I am in the minority here! It just looked awful on me.

I popped into my local Space NK and asked the sales assistant to show me how to apply it. She did and it looked liked I had bruising to my cheeks!

The colour did not suit my fair/medium with yellow undertones skin whatsoever.

She even said the staff steer clear of it and stick to bronzers instead.

So disappointed as I had high hopes for it, but at least my purse can breathe a sigh of relief for now!

on 10/9/2012 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I can't see it. It's far too light and thin. Not blendable. Cost me a week's food money and I could cry. I bought this purely on the reviews on MUA. I'm now noticing that some KA reviews are written by the same person, pretending to be different people. Look specially at the 300 almost reviews for sensual skin. Then look at 'lowest ratings first'. A real shocker. I think it's a scam, at least in part.

on 10/17/2017 9:36:00 AM

I've had this about a year now (yes it is long lasting) and it is ok for cheekbones but not for my nose. For some reason it goes on patchy and it is hard to blend. Either I have very obvious uneven contour lines on the sides of my nose, or there is nothing at all. It just completely disappears when I try to blend it. I've tried different brushes and powders underneath it and always end with the same result. I exfoliate my skin frequently so it is not that. I like the colour but don't think it is worth the hype.

on 1/6/2013 8:29:00 AM

Parabens, talc, silicone. If you're happy with these ingredients in your cosmetics and on your face, and you're after an excellent sculpting powder, then you've found it with this proffering from Kevin Aucoin.

Exceptionally light and perfectly pigmented formula. The result: easily achievable, professional-looking contouring application.

Unfortunately (actually, fortunately), trying to avoid parabens, talc and silicone, so had to pass on this (post-purchase, I should say)!

on 4/13/2017 2:37:00 PM

I bought it because it has rave reviews everywhere and I needed a natural-looking , shimmer-free contourer. The price is steep for the amount of product you get, but I was sure I would not regret buying this... You know, hundreds of reviewers can't be wrong, and the cult status of the brand...
The package is sleek, the shade looks rather light in the compact. To my disappointment, every time I put it on my cheeks it looks uneven, it's very hard to blend (it looks too dark and ashy on my skin, and once it's put, it stays put until you use a cleanser) and the worst part: the color looks like I have dirty or bruised cheeks. Awful. For reference, I'm Chanel B10, MAC NC15. I chose the shade Light which in my opinion isn't light at all.
MAC "Prism" or MAC "Baby Dont Go", or Burberry "Earthy" blushes are a better choice for my skintone if I want to emphasize my cheekbones. They're all much easier to apply than KA.
But as I didn't want to give up on this neatly packaged powder-shadow, I decided to try it as an eyeshadow. And it worked! I put it just above my crease and a little under my eyes to achieve a nude look. It looks like a perfect mix between Urban Decay's Naked and Buck. Try it this way!

on 3/10/2014 1:52:00 AM

This powder makes my face look dirty and no matter how light I go it still somehow makes my contour look fake. I had better luck with nyx taupe blush for contouring. The product is small and expensive. I also find that this powder does not last on my face at all. Really disappointed and won't be repurchasing again.

Let me start off by saying this is the best contour powder I've ever tried. Love the grey tones in this powder that mimics shadow in your face. So why the 3 star review? I originally thought the new repackaging was great because no one uses the sponge and it was unnecessarily bulky. However, I did not read into how much they decreased the amount of product you get. I was shocked to see how small the packaging really was. It's the size of an eyeshadow pan and fits in the middle of your palm.
Previously the product was $42 for 6.5 grams, but now it's $44 for 3.1 grams. The amount of pretty much halved and the price was increased. That's why this is 3 stars. It's really unfortunate how makeup companies do this, but I have never seen it to this extent.
So, this product is ridiculously expensive for the amount you get. But it's a great product. I use the Hakuhodo G5521 to apply this. Very, very pigmented. I'm fair, and I only need a light tap of the brush into the powder to get the perfect shadow. So I'm assuming this will last a while.
Hope this helps in your decision to purchase!

on 11/13/2017 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I contour with bronzer then do this over the top and girl my cheekbones are for days! But I opened my travel bag and it’s smashed everywhere and it’s too expensive for a small powder

on 7/18/2017 5:18:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

WOW soo finely milled you only need a touch of it! Blends very well and is a great cool brown (the medium shade). I was afraid it would be too warm given what it looks like on screen. I've been using NYX powder blush in Taupe but that has been discontinued. The quality of KA The sculpting powder is SO much better it isn't even funny. The NYX in comparison is hard packed, grey, and difficult to blend. My goodness this is worth it! I prefer powder for contouring rather than cream so this is fantastic!!
Update 3/2018: Causes blemishes on me! I was surprised but it has consistently caused this problem--I stop use and the blemishes along my contour go away. Start up and they return. I've gone back to NYX. Sigh.

I tried to resist this, but the universe conspired for me to just bite the goddamn bullet and buy one for myself. The cost of the Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder was really a major concern - even for someone like me who totally buys into premium pricing - because its pretty darn expensive for the size. Its so tiny! But it came to a point that Im substituting with products that ultimately dont deliver, which makes them less worth their price than Kevyn Aucoins. Because this baby delivers like hell.

I love that Its subtle in that magical way where you know somethings just better. The shade is just right and even with a heavy hand it never looks ashy on me. It also goes on perfectly every time that Ive cut contouring minutes by half!

Sometimes cult products dont live up to its status, but Kevyn Aucoin totally deserves its fame. Totally repurchasing when I run out!