Kevyn Aucoin The Sculpting Powder

Filtered by age: 44-55
Kevyn Aucoin The Sculpting Powder

4.7

Talc, Polyethylene, Nylon-12, PTFE, Phenyl Trimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Manganese Violet CI 77742, Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499).

on 7/18/2017 5:18:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

WOW soo finely milled you only need a touch of it! Blends very well and is a great cool brown (the medium shade). I was afraid it would be too warm given what it looks like on screen. I've been using NYX powder blush in Taupe but that has been discontinued. The quality of KA The sculpting powder is SO much better it isn't even funny. The NYX in comparison is hard packed, grey, and difficult to blend. My goodness this is worth it! I prefer powder for contouring rather than cream so this is fantastic!!
Update 3/2018: Causes blemishes on me! I was surprised but it has consistently caused this problem--I stop use and the blemishes along my contour go away. Start up and they return. I've gone back to NYX. Sigh.

The hype around this product is well deserved. It really is a superlative cosmetic product that stands out and above the crowd. I've been struggling with contouring, trying a high priced LE collectors MAC sculpting cream (Coffee Walnut) as well as several powders. They all worked okay, but required work and often looked harsh, bronzey, or flushed blushed if blended out too much. I finally broke down to the excellent reviews of Aucoins Sculpting powder and spent the money.

WOW, what a difference! The color is just perfect for my NW25 skin, and yes, while the product is quite pigmented, it's not so much that you'll ever over apply and need to blend out like mad. I use the Real Techniques Contour brush (MAC 109ish) and it's just perfect with this powder. It's also true that the powder is very silky and sticks well, blends marvelously--in fact, one of the most magnificent blenders I have ever used. This product is so good, it makes contouring much easier, much faster. And the pan and compact never gets dusty due to the silky formula, and very little product is wasted. SO you certainly never need to tap off the excess before application with this product!

It's also true that the pan is SMALL. I had read this in reviews, and I didn't think it looked that small in pics, but it is. Not quite eye shadow small, but getting there. But the product is so silky and non-wasteful and pigmented, that it will go very far.

They must have changed the compact it comes in, as many had complained it was "cheap" appearing, but I think it is rich and attractive with what is almost a "power" latch that allows the lid to automatically rise--love it and wish all my compacts were this fast and effortless to open.

I'm hooked, and highly recommend for most light-medium skin tones!

on 5/7/2014 5:10:00 PM

Had a credit and a 20-percent discount at Blush, so I had a fairly painless way to buy this incredibly pricey product. As other folks have said, it is a tiny, tiny thing. Size-wise, much more what you'd expect in an eyeshadow than a bronzer or blush. Others have found it to have high pigmentation, but for some reason, I don't find this to be the case—at least under my cheekbones. Must be my skin color (medium/pale neutral with olive undertones), or the shape of my face, but basically, I don't see this stuff showing up until I've applied too much, and then it looks dirty. However, I like it VERY much as an eyeshadow—it provides a nice lift to the eye if you apply in the crease (particularly if you have hooded eyes). It's a really natural look and yet extremely effective, even dramatic (if that makes sense: natural and dramatic). I'd repurchase just for this limited application in the eye area.

PROS:
- The color has no red in it at all—a perfect shadow color.
- There is an infinitesimal amount of glitter in it—doesn't show up on the skin as sparkle, but I suspect without it, the color would look sort of dull or deadening.
- Excellent for sculpting the eye in the crease area.
- On other skin tones or face shapes (not mine!) I can see how this would work to contour the face, as well

CONS:
- bizarrely expensive, particularly for the pan size
- contains silicone & if you're like me, this can make your skin feel dirty (not breathing)...whenever I put it on my face, I can't wait to take it off (on my eyelids, I don't mind)
- doesn't show up well on my cheeks
- perhaps only the case if you use too much, but I've noticed that It can settle into pores: definitely not a good look

Overall, I think this is a good product, especially if you are into make up that enhances your natural looks, rather than masks them. Even though I only use it for my eyelids, I think it does something special that I can't do with regular eyeshadow.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I hung back on this one because A) I have high cheekbones and B) I didn't want to make things more complicated and C) popular as contouring is I didn't want a kardashian face. Right off this actually SIMPLIFIES things. I use less blush or sometimes none at all and it renders such a polished but natural look. Using blush and highlighter along with the contour is just gorgeous and still not made up. There is just one shade of this because it mimics a shadow so therefore it doesn't have to match skin tone. The formula is very, very pigmented which means just barely touching the compact and even then shake some off (It is very finely milled). Applying too much will give you a disappointing result. In love.

on 12/27/2013 7:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Color looks muddy in the pan but really mimicks natural shadows on my face. I use a Real Techniques Contour brush use roll it lightly in the product. Only complaint is that my sunscreen seems to stick on the product inside the pan, creating a hard coating on the powder. I have to scrape it off every time.

Packaging looks and feels cheapy given the price. Product is incredible though and highly recommend it for easy contouring.

on 10/21/2009 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

As I have said before, I usually overlook what is right in front of me... and speaking to someone about contouring now that MAC has the Dsuqared collection out, I re-discovered my KA Sculpting powder.

This is a dark looking powder in the pan. It applies much lighter and so so smooth. The quality of sculpting is amazing and you can really re-define your face with it. I use this product for night because I don't wear much contouring for day and when I do, I use the Sculpt/Accentuate from MAC. But this product is hands down the Sculpting winner.

It is not cheap -- but a very small amount well applied and buffed will give you the most amazing sculpted face.

I love this product and will re-purchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have been searching for the perfect powder to contour for YEARS. I had used all kinds of bronzers and even a BE shading powder that wasn't too bad. I went to Sephora for a little retail therapy and there it was! No shimmer or sparkle. Very sheer. Looks totally natural on my NW 20 skin. I just did the hollows of my cheeks and it too about 4 seconds. This is definitely my HG sculpting powder!