Smashbox Arched Liner #21

Smashbox Arched Liner #21

3.9

on 6/20/2009 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This was the very first eyeliner brush I ever bought when I first started using gel eyeliners three years ago. I love Smashbox brushes and this one is no exception. Some eyeliner brushes are either so floppy that I had no control and ended up smearing liner all over no control or so stiff that I've actually scratched up my lash line. Not this brush. It's soft and pliable yet firm enough to draw a fine line. I highly recommend this brush for anyone looking for a bent liner brush. I find brushes with longer handles easier to work with than the short-handled brushes, espcially when you're doing precision work like lining. That's just me preference though.

I highly recommend this brush over the other bent liner brushes (BeneFit, Stila, BE) if you're looking for a bent liner brush. Although the very tip of the brushes started to curl just the tiniest bit after a couple of years, this brush holds up very well. The only reason I no longer use this brush is because I've found that I prefer an unbent liner brush now that I've gotten the hang of working with gel liners. With an arched liner brush, you can only hold the brush one way when working with an eye. Instead of redipping my brush in liner, I prefer to turn the brush to use the other side when I'm trying to line my eyes. That's just my preference and you can't work that way with a bent liner brush.

on 11/30/2011 1:36:00 AM

This brush makes lining with cream liner quick and simple!

One downfall that people might associate with a natural hair eyeliner brush is bristles splaying out. But I found that I didn't need to worry about that much. Because you are essentially adhering the bristles to each other by coating it with cream eyeliner, it doesn't matter if the bristles are splayed out since you are going to get a thin tip anyway when you get product on the brush. None of the bristles in my brush have fallen out, but I can see how that might happen of you pull on the bristles to get dried liner off when cleaning your brush. I find that rolling the brush in the palm of your hand with soap cleanser of choice is best for cleansing.

The brush works well to create a thin line on the upper lash line. Depending on how much pressure you apply, the line's width can change. Another factor that helps application is the angled head of the brush. The angle helps you angle the tip along your eye.

The only thing I have to complain about with this brush is that because the tip is a pointed tip with longer bristles than you would find in a flat liner brush, you have to take care to not apply too much pressure when trying to get product on your brush - especially if your pot of cream liner is not as soft and creamy as when you first got it. The bristles might bend. Therefore you sort of have to get the entire tip of the brush into the liner which ends up making a mess on the black part of the brush.

on 5/1/2010 9:57:00 PM

Like many ladies, I bought this brush to apply the Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner as that is the brush recommended by Smashbox and I had seen it used on QVC. Sadly, the brush was garbage - absolute garbage for $20.

To be fair, the first time I used the brush/liner I was in awe. It was fairly easy to use and my eyes popped. I thought to myself, "I am going to wear this liner every-single-day!" But that was not meant to be. After using the brush only a few times, I found that the fine point the bristles came to was gone. After a few more times using the brush, I found that the bristles splayed more and more. I tried in vain to reshape the brush but could not get it back to its original self. When I tried to use it with the splayed bristles I got an untidy line around my eyes at best.

Frustrated, I returned the brush to Sephora and bought three more brushes by the Sephora brand as they were less expensive. I am currently using brush #17. It's not great but it gets the job done - and for only $11.

on 7/7/2009 5:10:00 PM

It's ok for a fine line, but the tip is a bit hairy, i.e. bristles poke out on all sides. Also, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but boy does this itch/sting/hurt when i tightline or do my waterline with this. A flat brush like NARS smudge brush is more comfortable for this. So its ok, not great. There are likely better bent eyeliner brushes out there.

I couldn't live without this eyeliner brush. I've never had a problem taking a pencil to my lower line. However, I never could quite master my top lid with a pencil, liquid, or regular brush. I would always try to practice in hopes of perfecting it, but never did. When I found this brush, I was just like "omg I have to try it!!". And I am SO glad that I did. I use it along with the jet set cream/gel eyeliner, and it could not be easier. The arch in it really just makes it the perfect angle to glide on smoothly. If you're eyeliner challenged like I was, please try this. You'll be seriously pleased.

on 6/10/2007 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I seem to be ;having difficulty with this brush. I purchased this as a kit from QVC. And, I love the product, but, the brush seems to be deterioiating and it has only been a couple of weeks. The fibers no longer form a point and seem to be pointing in different directions. I am trying to train them to form a point again. I wonder about the quality of some of these products form Smashbox.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I got this brush in a Smashbox eyeliner palette so I can't comment on the price or the packaging. I wouldn't buy this only because the bristles splayed and I find even before that happened I had trouble getting a very thin line with this brush. It's pretty floppy. Although it might be my technique, I don't think it is. That said, this is my favorite eyeliner brush currently in my collection only because it's slanted. I'm so glad I got to try out one like this because it's made me want to buy others in this same style - it makes applying cream eyeliners SO easy! So yeah, I can't complain!

If my review helped you, click yes below!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow, I do not get the good reviews on this. I have tried them ALL, LM, Chanel, Dior (worst), Sephora, etc. and the BEST for a tight line is Studio Gear! I can't believe it either but it may be do to taste, I wanted really firm, compact and very pointed bristles and that is what the SG one gives me at a reasonable price. I even bought two, as I am so used to these splaying. The smashbox will splay and I can't understand why anyone would want to use it, other than it does have he arch and I like that (SG does too).

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Best eyeliner brush ever! I love bent liner brushes! This one is pretty and it makes doing a winged line oh so easy! I think it's worth the money! If you treat it right it last a long time! I feel if I let it dry with a little liner on it it kinda hardens it a tiny bit and when I apply it I can get a cleaner line. Weird I know.

on 10/26/2011 1:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I was always skeptical about the utility of an arced liner brush (BeneFit has had one for years), but I'm now a believer. I received a mini version of this brush in a swap for a Smashbox liner palette, and decided to use it with the kit instead of one of my (many) other liner brushes. Wow! This gives incredible control with cream or gel liner. I used to hate lining my eyes because it was always a crapshoot--I rarely got the effect I wanted (thin at the inner corner, thickening to the outer). I can do that perfectly with this brush. I've washed this several times (after each use) and have not had problems with the hairs splaying (so far). I plan to buy the full-sized version of this little gem. Recommended!

Popular Makeup Brushes