Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

Lac-Hydrin (ammonium lactate) Lotion, contains lactic acid 12% and the following ingredients: Cetyl alcohol, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, laureth-4, light mineral oil, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, methyl- and propylparabens, PEG-100 stearate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol and water.

on 11/1/2015 2:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Unfortunately, after my first bottle I didn't see any results. However, after reading all those reviews, I'm tempted to try it again, so I might update this review if I buy another one.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

UPDATE Oct 2016: 18 months of use...everything below still applies, still using it, my skin is still freakin' amazing.

Truth #1: the smell really takes some getting used to. Baby powder that feeds into ammonia. Charming, isn't it? I apply it one hour before bed, so the smell can dissipate a bit.

Truth #2: it is a sticky mess and a slimy mess if you over apply. There is a sweet spot where you are barely sticky and not at all slimy. YMMV.

Truth #3: No pump. This is annoying.

Truth #4: This is the best stuff in the world. My skin has never looked this good, or been this soft. I don't think you could possibly understand how much of an improvement, how stunningly amazing, how unbelievably soft my skin is.

I do, once or twice a week, mix a little in with face moisturizer. It's been fine and my skin is super clear and really soft.

Love this despite its flaws.

on 3/15/2012 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

This is a great moisturizer. I'm not sure what the other reviewers are talking about with the bad smell. It smells like a generic lotion.. and is a bit sticky and white at first. You really have to massage it in, then let it soak in. Once it has soaked in.. your skin is SO soft. I had some bumps on the back of my arms that are now gone. I use it on my legs after shaving as well, and they are no longer irritated. I'm hoping it will fade some old scars on my legs from folliculitis.. that has also cleared thanks to this lotion.

I bought it at shoppers drug mart for 14 dollars. Apparently it is comparable to Am-Lactin.

on 4/19/2011 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This lotion is basically the solution for all of my...grosser skin problems.

I'm using this for keratosis pilaris (those annoying keratin plugs on your outer arms or legs -- most people's are dry and red, but I have oily skin so mine are red and slightly waxy) on my upper arms and thighs.

GROSS, HUH?

Yeah, now that you know about the state of my thighs, I have to say that this stuff is awesome for KP. It has nearly eradicated it after a week of religious, twice-daily use. I also have successfully used it directly after leg-shaving to ward off razor burn (I get it horribly, to the point where I avoid shaving my legs as much as possible. GROSS, HUH?)

I also had horrible keratin plugs under one arm after a bad reaction to a strong anti-perspirant, and they left horrible dime-sized scars and hyperpigmentation. (GROSS, HUH?) This lotion has nearly healed all of this already. I was previously using an 8% glycolic face cream on these body patches out of desperation, and while it helped somewhat, Lac-Hydrin blew its results out of the water.

Now, some cons: the smell is a bit weird. Somewhat chemically, somewhat cloying baby powdery smelling. The texture also stays...damp...for a long time after application, though the lotion itself is quite thin and fluid.

I wouldn't use this stuff on my face unless I was desperate for some AHA action. Or on my hands. In the past, I tried this stuff for hands and face at random, because I had no idea what this was supposed to be for, and it was icky. Wouldn't have repurchased for that reason.

But, knowing what it's actually GOOD at, it's great stuff. It's a higher percentage of lactic acid than many lactic acid moisturizers (12% as opposed to 5%) and it's EFFECTIVE, which makes up for the minor cons. I'll continue to use this stuff for as long as I have KP. Which, from what I hear, means basically forever.

(In Canada, 12% lactic acid is available OTC. I order mine from well.ca -- they ship to the US, and shipping is free within Canada.)

UPDATE: Finished the bottle. I'm taking off one more lippie because the packaging is annoying - it tends to burp and spit too much product at you at odd times. Would much prefer a pump! And, after using a whole bottle, I am really tired of the smell and the tacky feel. I've switched to Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment for my KP, and it's working much better than even this. Of all the things I've tried, Lac-Hydrin was ultimately #2 for my KP.

on 2/5/2010 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is my HG moisturizer- I use it every time I get out of the shower. I have keratosis pilaris on my arms & this is the ONLY moisturizer I can use on them. The thing with this moisturizer is it may not work overnight, if you use it for a few days & expect the bumps to be gone, you're probably going to be disappointed- but stick with it for 2 wks or more & you'll notice a huge difference. Because I use it every day & have for a few months, the bumps on my arms are non-existent. This doesn't irritate my skin like some moisturizers do either.
The consistency is fairly easily spread, it's a bit thicker but I add a touch of water to the bottle or put it on right out of the shower & then it just slides right on.
One reviewer commented on the greasy feeling- initially, yes you can feel it on your skin. But after 10 mins I can't even feel it. Like I said, I put it on when I get out of the shower & then get ready & it's completely absorbed.
If you have kp, I highly recommend trying this lotion & sticking with it for a few wks in order to see results:)

on 11/13/2005 11:18:00 AM

I have a love-hate relationship with this cream: I love it and my bf- who is 11 years younger than me and doesn't understand all the mysterious things I need to do to myself- hates it with a passion. As a body cream, it's decidedly unglamorous, unpleasant smell, sticky, gummy. The taste is vile. My mother's plastic surgeon recommended it to her after her face-lift and glycolic peels as a cheap maintenance plan. I could do cartwheels when I think how well this product works. I use it all over my body every other day, alternating with a body scrub and a heavier moisturizer (my favourite is the body shop's hemp butter with their gorgeous african spa salt scrub and those little exfoliating mittens. ) My skin looks teen-aged with this routine and feels like velvet (I'm 36 and have a thyroid disease which makes my skin dry with a lot of build-up). On the face, it's sticky, strong and unsuitable for daytime. If anyone kisses you their faces will pucker in disgust. A definite romance killer at night, which is such a shame, because combined with a copper serum it's almost scary how fresh you can look the next morning. Almost obscene, like you should put a ribbon in your hair and go skip rope. However, the best application I've found for this miracle cream is this: mix the Lac Hydrin with a french clay face mask (I'm using a cheapo freeman's one at the moment) and apply to a clean face. Let it sit for ten minutes. You can feel it working (it doesn't sting). When you wash it off, you have clean, glowing moisturized skin. Then put your nice, boyfriend friendly moisturizer on and everybody is happy, happy, happy.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I don't like the initial gluey feel and chemical-like scent of this lotion but it's exfoliating properties are AWESOME!!! It gets rid of uneven skintone, flaking and rough skin, clogged pores and is just all around fabulous for any dry skin related problem. I especially like using it on my feet and hands. You have to be patient though, you have to use it continuously to see results. But believe me-they will come! :)

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is my secret weapon skin moisturizer. It is the reason my face is silky smooth and flawless. It is dirt cheap here in Canada and runs for about 10 bucks for a good sized bottle. I use it nightly and it lasts me over a year. I have oily-combo skin and it doesn't clog my pores or make me break out, it also allows my daily makeup to go on smoothly the next morning after removal. But because this is an AHA you gotta use sunscreen daily if you are gonna try it out.

on 2/5/2003 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is good for kerititis pilaris - the bumpy, hardened hair follicles that form on the backs of people's upper arms and elsewhere. It dislodges the dry flakies pretty well. It's probably a good idea to wear sunscreen when you use this as it's similar to glycolic acid in how it works...